Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2002, 11:05 PM   #1
Zolmaz Zo Boto

Default When do people learn the game...?

Learning ?

Learn the game by Experience ?
Learn by example ?
Learn by others mistakes ?
Learn by being Told ?

Or did you learn because it was GAME !!

Or Learn by death ?

Aye.. Mostly you all learned the hard way.. Death..
And a Long CR.. Many times over.. More times then you can count.

Tell us all, How you learned to game.. To be as good
as you are. Or even as good as you think you are.

Please only if you Know.. Do not post if you have a
problem with anyone..

This is for the Exp you have learned.. Groups, Raids, Exp.

Tell us your Experience...

Zolmaz Zo'Boto...

Old 09-08-2002, 12:44 AM   #2
YarNorbs

Default i know...

Well . um.
just the other day me and my good friend siren enticer
was enjoying kicking each others ass and asked the
same question..

I have no clue... honesly.. people are dumb as nails
sometimes.

Yarnyclause /burp
Old 09-09-2002, 06:01 AM   #3
Ghie

Default Re: i know...

I learned everything from personal experience.

From the mechanics of bard twisting to how to get in and out of Kaesora without a porter.

I learned what bards could do by watching bards like Rian and Lotte and Talerian. Then I learned how to do what they do.

After playing a bard for over a year I did venture to the bard sites but found they didn't know half of what I knew. After a certian level bard are too stuborn to teach and the few I have offered lessons to have scoffed at them. I once had the opportunity to talk to another person who plays a bard and exchange knowledge but all he could teach me that I didn't know was the mechanics of certain exploits, which I never tried, and have since been fixed in the game.

I learn new camps by going there and figuring out what can be pulled and how by trying. I have never read an encounter strategy thread and probably never will.

The only way I know which mobs drop which loot is because I killed them and saw the loot on the corpse or because someone told me.

I must say that people get a little nervous when you are halfway through a dungeon romp when a groupmate asks where we are going and all I can say is 'Dunno, never been here before, we are exploring.'

I've actually had clerics gate at that point on more than one occasion.

I remember learning my ways around several dungeons that were complete mysteries to everyone I knew like Permafrost, Droga, Nurga, Kaesora, The Deep and Ssra. Heck the first time I crossed the pretty bridge in the deep was a thrill.

Heck we had a group fighting in the moat areas in Karnors when we were level 37 because no one told us we shouldnt be able to do it. It was slow fighting but fun and decent xps. Of course Kunark had only been out for a week or two at that point...

To me the only way to learn a game is by personal experience. Trying to learn everything by reading spoiler sites, etc...leads to not really knowing how to do it, only thinking that you do. Experience is the only true teacher.

Old 09-09-2002, 06:10 AM   #4
Walterscott

Default Re: i know...

School of Hard Knocks!
Old 09-09-2002, 07:11 AM   #5
Kidin

Default Re: Learning in EQ

Hail,

Zolmaz, for all the R&F posts and blather that I find offensive from you, this is a good thread.

How do I learn?

I frequent my class board message boards often. LOTS of good tips there to make me a better player. I read OTHER class boards for insights into how classes I don't play optimize their own unique spells and abilities. Reading Xornn's Guide to Enchanters improved my own play as a shaman after a single read. It also showed me what to expect from truly talented enchanter players.

I use on-line resources from those who have been there and done that before me. I do not use them as a "bible" that I must go by, but as a reference for making myself more informed. Both about things I have not done yet or those encounters I have only done a few times but not performed as well as I would have liked.

I take part in training adventures with my friends and Clan mates with the sole purpose of improving our individual, group, & inter-group skills. Three groups in a green dungeon may be boring, but it definitely makes lessons learned alot less painful, and has prevented costly mistakes during more challenging encounters later on.

I seek advice from those I respect and those who are obviously more experienced than I. From something as simple as gear advice to spell selection, solo techniques, hunting grounds, etc.

I LISTEN to advice when it is given, even when unasked. Criticism of my gameplay may not be pleasant to take, but ignoring it would be an error.

I learn by doing. Watching raid leaders in action has taught me much, but leading my own raids has taught me so much more. I think it has made me a better leader/follower on raids because I've worn the raid leader mantle myself.

I offer advice to others younger than myself. I find training others allows me another chance to learn a lesson more fully or refresh an aspect of my play that has slipped a notch due to laziness or lack of use. Sometimes explaining how I do something in words to another all by itself is self-educational.

I learn by trying what sometimes can't be done. Wiping out, and trying again. Rinsing and repeating until finally I am successful or realize what I'm attempting isn't possible with my current gear/level. Extend that to group/raid force and it is still true. NOT giving up is something I've learned to do, as well as knowing when it is appropriate to fall back and regroup for a time.

Take care,
Old 09-09-2002, 07:29 AM   #6
Ailae44

After 3 years of playing I still suck But like most people I learned from personal experience and good friends who took the time to show me things and to hang with me. Im not the best of my class by any means, but I can say that I am good.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:45 AM   #7
Igota

I learn through everything I do, mostly by personal experiance, but I have picked up a sizable portion of my gaming knowlage (especially with my new class) from talking to others.

When I started playing EQ there was not all that much known, so I learned most everything from experiance alone and with friends. With my monk, by the time I started him there was a VAST amount of knowlage gathered on that class and it's skills, so I took in that information and used it, thus learning through experiance based on outside information.

As a person, in anything new that I take on, I learn best through experiance, I may learn a bit faster through being told, but i have a fuller grasp of the concept and a much more retentive memory when I have been able to try it out and learn from my mistakes.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
makril

Except for my ranger and my magician i have learned in the following manner.

Study anything and everything you can about said class,find out from people/friends/guildmates what it is like to play that class(this also means spoiler sites/class sites).

Make said class,and proceed to solo

Die
Die
Die
Level a few levels
Die
Try to join groups at this point
Die
Level a few more
Die
Die
Die
Level a few more.
etc... til you reach 60.

In all the above deaths,you should have learned how the mobs you are fighting run,if they assist each other,if they heal each other,If you can kill them and if it is feasible to claim them an exp camp.

I for this matter,am still learning,and i still use spoiler sites to find out if i should even bother trying a mob,I am not gonna try vulaak(sp?) just cause someone says i should not read spoiler sites.And,yes,i have died in north wing,was kinda fun dying two doors in to some wyvern looking mobs hitting me for 700+<----exploring where he should not have been,btw,they camp bodies,at least they did at the time.

esleff 60 mage
murkrus 60 shaman
belgadon 56 druid
makril 55 ranger
wolvesbane 52 warrior
darzon 49 necromancer
disarn 42 cleric

Good Luck
Old 09-09-2002, 01:07 PM   #9
Ragaz

I learned everything I know from a druid named Yarnorbs....

Ragaz long dead Shadow Knight
Old 09-09-2002, 07:18 PM   #10
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Bah, *spit*

*gets on his rocking chair*

Back in my day you couldn't read a dag nabbed spoiler site, because they were all carn-farking newbies too! Hell, I didn't know monks could feign death til I was in my 20's, being as I played on Tunare, and the only monks were from Freeport. They leveled in Guk (ubah mesh) and I in Unrest. There was a segmentation between the continents, mostly because there weren't 400 druid twinks running around begging to port you for spare plat.

Probably because we didn't have any spare plat! I learned that a combine weapon was required to hit ghouls from the one that got trained on me in Unrest, and I bought said combine from... (wtf was that half elf warriors name ..leveled quick, was kind of an @#%$, started with an S)

Almost everything I learned was from pure experience, speculation and then attempting it, or talking to someone else about their experience. For instance, I learned that AC>stats from reading the Rangers Glade, not from my own self tests. I'm sure most of you did also.

Most of what I've learned from others has to do with equation stuff, ac importance, main hand damage bonus, how to calculate damage per second, etc. If only I had known there truly WAS a purpose to higher math in school.

After I had gotten into my later EQ years (low to mid 40's) newbies had begun to flock the servers. This was the Age of Information, as multitudes of people had already hit level 50, and were now testing the mechanics of everything. Spoiler sites became rampant, and class guides grew immensly.

I read almost everything I could about all the classes, so that I would be a stronger guild and group mate. Then, I played all of them for several levels, and I think, above all else, playing twinks into the 30's and beyond of a class helped my understanding and comprehension more than anything else.

However, my thirst for knowledge and ability has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Nowadays almost all the players are pathetically bad players, and it doesn't help they grew up on Lake of Ill Omen = Overthere = Dreadlands = Karnors Castle

So, in the end, what have I learned?
Two things;
There can be no value put on a good player, because they seem to be a rarity, and as such are priceless.

And don't waste your time; @#%$ the morons, go solo.

Nekiah Dragonsbane
Old 09-09-2002, 08:06 PM   #11
Arnwolf Magnuson

Default Re: Bah, *spit*

I learned the hard way...and I earned everything I've ever gotten.

Not that I didn't have some people show me some ropes now and then...mainly Warren. But for the most part, I learned on my own with the backing of wonderful guilds like the Chevaliers d'Honneur, Da`Kor and Magister.

Arnwolf Magnuson

Old 09-10-2002, 01:47 AM   #12
Aaedias Autumnwood

I learned by asking questions and curiousity. I was there in the beginning days of this server. I leveled slower then most. I am stubborn by nature and had my favorite zones. <stills loves Mistmoore>. I have never been afraid to ask anyone a question(thanks again all you strangers to me that got random /w all <whatever> questions. My "teachers" have mostly quit, but i am steadily finding new ones.

Old 09-10-2002, 05:32 AM   #13
Feldynn

Default Re: Bah, *spit*

*pulls up a rocking chair next to Nekiah on the front porch*

Ahh them were the days, when no one really knew diddly 'bout what they we're doin' and we all had to learn together and couldn't learn stuff from them there website thingies . Heh I remember down in Qeynos Sewers and Blackburrow when I was a mere bardling playing around with songs hehe.

Personally I am a self taught bard .. I learnt how to twist songs, how they interacted with other songs / spells and how my bard works from personal experiences and watching what others did. Websites can be a useful source of extra information and a good supplement to the whole experience of learning the game / your character(s)... but as Ghie says, there is no substitute for personal experience, trial and error and the joys of experimentation .

Even with my other characters the majority of what I know I have learnt myself, or observed other what others do and experimented.