Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
cnjmorris

Default Photoshop.

First off can anyone suggest a good book on photoshop 7 for someone who has never owned any of the previous photoshops?

Second, my current problem is wanting to make a black background (can do this) then put a question mark shaped mask on the background and apply an image to the question mark (so it fills the question mark)... is this easy and if so, can someone offer tips? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:09 PM   #2
Trillium

so you want to basically make a question mark shapped image on a black background? okies... there are actually several different ways of doing it.... here's one.

1. get your background set up.
2. use the text tool (set it to selection mode instead of plain text) to make a question mark shaped selection.
3. bring up the image you want to have fill the question mark.
4. select the image and copy it.
5. go back to the question mark selection on the black background, and paste your image into the question mark (ctr. shift. V)
6. you can then use the Free Transform feature to adjust the size of the image inside the question mark.

.... hope this was helpfull

Trillium
Old 09-08-2002, 06:51 PM   #3
cnjmorris

Sweet, some of the things had different names.. but you got me a lot closer than I was. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
Arnwolf Magnuson

I have photoshop on my system, but not the slightest clue in the world how to use it...are there any decent Photoshop for Dummies or anything books out there?

I seriously need like Photoshop Cliff Notes.

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 09-08-2002, 07:47 PM   #5
TheClericBanton

I wouldnt recommend a book, I personally learned it all on my own by just fooling around with the software and editing pictures. Thats the way i would recommend, Using a book you will learn by other peoples styles and it my cramp your originality.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:05 PM   #6
Igota

I fully agree with Banton, everything I have learned through experimentation I am far better at then the things I have learned from books/school, mostly because of the style thing.

But if you really need help or just some reference there are a TON of internet tutorials that can give you invaluable info, searchable, and free.

Old 09-10-2002, 02:50 AM   #7
Bizzo

Default book recommendations

As far as books go, I'd highly recommend the following:

For special/digital effects and web presentation go with Photoshop WOW!
I linked the 6.0 book instead of 7.0 since Photoshop 7.0's only major upgrades are to the paint engine, healing/patch brush and the few additional web prep options. The rest of the differences between 6.0 and 7.0 are mainly workflow oriented so you won't see many differences in the books. Plus, the 6.0 book should be much cheaper when the 7.0 book gets published.

For photo retouching/manipulation, go with Photo Restoration and Retouching. This is considered the bible among a lot of freelance photographers (ie shoot/retouch for a living). A lot of the techniques you'll find utilized in magazines, especially glamour-type shoots (Penthouse).

These are the two main categories for photoshop use - but you can download actions for pretty much everything the first book covers (Photoshop WOW!) on Adobe's actionexchange site if you just want the effects. You can even cut the actions into steps to see how they're done.

Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 AM   #8
Weiland

Default Re: book recommendations

For a beginner's book on any of the Adobe programs I would suggest the Adobe Classroom in a Book Series. They are great for an intro to Adobe programs. Then move on to Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Studio Techniques. Finally round up your learning with the good ole IDG Photoshop Bible ~ this is the best Photoshop reference tool out there, but only use it as a reference - its a bear to read. There are also quite a few really good Photoshop books outlining specific uses of the program i.e. web design with photoshop, photo editing with PS.

With Photoshop always remember quick key combos and scratch layers are your friends.

Old 09-10-2002, 10:32 AM   #9
PuffinEM

Default Re: book recommendations

Having worked with Photoshop at the prepress level I can say that everyone is correct. The books recomended by Bizzo and Weiland are good as is the thought of hands on. There are many task that only experiance can show you what looks good, ie extending complex backgrounds 7 or 8 inches or color corrections to neutral greys.

I wish you luck.

P B & J