Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
Motokokdacrakker

Default To those that are leaving...

I must say that i have seen many people leaving recently, probably due to the new patch. However, we should not give up yet. I have thought about leaving EQ many times, but I can't bring myself to do it. EQ is the kind of game that you play for a long time and then one day you get bored. You think that the game has always been boring and dumb and then you say "Im quitting." However, All you really need is a break and you will be drawn back ( I know...it happened to me 3 times ) For Instance, I quit for 2 weeks once and played Starcraft, but at the end of the second week i just HAD to come back. I'm just saying ( whether leaving EQ is a good or bad thing to you ) That doing such a thing should be given much thought. I advise that none of you delete your characters or give away equipment until you are SURE that you are leaving, otherwise you will be screwed when you come back. Just my 2 copper on the situation.

-Motokok Kokotom
Old 09-09-2002, 09:42 AM   #2
Ghie

I don't know one person who is leaving because of changes in the last patch.

If people are leaving it is either because the game just started seeming too much work and not enough fun or because their social circles in the game break apart.

In any case, most people who leave only take breaks and come back. Those that truly wish to free themselves, sell or delete their characters.

Old 09-09-2002, 11:50 AM   #3
Submina Dominatrix

what has happened a month or 2 before every expansion? hordes quit, and come back cause they cant resist wanting to see if the expansion is any good :P

seams to be a pattern, time will tell hehe
Old 09-09-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Blytzz

Everquest is dieing and has been for over a year. That is all.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:13 PM   #5
Trillium

I don't really thing boredom is the issue that most people quit over. After playing EQ for a few years, quite a few 'issues' usually arise. health problems, dead social life, spouse and family issues, carpal tunnel syndrome, changes in jobs or work times, and not to mention frustration with the game itself or the way Sony has run it into the ground. I myself had to quit for a number of these reasons and selling my character was the only way of 'cutting the cord' so to speak. Can't say i quit from boredom... in fact I still miss EQ and all the old peeps. See y'all in WoW!

.... Trillium Silveroak (retired mana sink!)
Old 09-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #6
Aolynd

Default h

I finally deleted Aolynd.

Mostly the game was pretty much done for me. I ran around, made some friends, killed the bad guys, got the shiny stuff.

Pretty much everything in the last year or so was just rinse and repeat. Some new graphics...different loot (same equation, different numbers).

It was fun. Fun enough to even continue repeating the scenario for a while.

If you wonder what I mean, it could probably be illustrated right here on this board:

Look back and count how many threads are here that are identical to this one with different names posting.

this pretty much sums up just about every EQ conversation I had in the last year that I played. (some months or so ago...my account sat dormant for a while before I finally got around to giving it the ax)
Old 09-09-2002, 05:24 PM   #7
Snaz the Snaptail

Default Re: h

Ya, EQ is dying, has been for 3 years, 4 months, a few days, and some hours.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:49 PM   #8
Dwarkarn

Everquest is dieing and has been for over a year for over a year. That is all.
Everquest is not dying, it may be getting old and tiring but mark my words it will still be around at this time next year, and probably the year after that.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:40 PM   #9
brodek

Alright I'll tell you why I have cancelled my accounts until some serious changes are made. They pushed out several major revisions to the game all at one time many of which were broken and still are. The resist system. Well the changes completely broke the PVP servers ( emergency patch for that ) And now spells cast by you or on you are behaving like never before. The experience system...You can't tell me they weren't just trying to play a bait and switch with us when they halved it, and then with the next "scheduled patch" ( it was not an emergency patch ) they only decreased the amount of xp penalty by half. I assume that's where they wanted it and just jerked us around so we wouldn't feel so bad about it. Then we have cleric's outdamaging melee's ( How in the hell did THAT get through testing? ) Several of the necromancer's spell lines are now highly resisted where they had been low resist before and many that stacked in the past are no longer stacking. All of these things combined tell me someone needs to get fired. Management has made a very poor decision in pushing out so many radical changes in one patch ( while leaving the new heals for druids and shaman in for more "testing" .....it is a heal spell...how long should that take more than the complete revision of the resist system? or the experience system? ) It makes me wonder who is, if anyone, thinking about the players at all. And they go on and on about "risk vs. reward" and what do I see everytime i go through Fungus Grove? An AE group raking in mass loads of XP for no risk whatsoever. And now add to this with the resist changes that are causing many of our trusted spells to fail more often ( and yes a few landing better than before ) enchanter stuns are now going completely unresisted. Last I was told by an enchanter friend was that they were making TWO aaxp levels per hour. This is too much. If it doesn't change I wont sign up again and that will be that.

brodek
Old 09-09-2002, 08:41 PM   #10
Dwarkarn

Paragraphs are fvcking cool!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:41 PM   #11
Rara Bracksheep

Poster-people:

Yah, I play a shadowknight now and lemme tell ya, the number of resists I get on damage/debuff (but mainly debuff spells) is STUPID after the most recent patch. Spells like Siphon Strength and Shadow Vortex get resisted about 30-40% of the time, whereas before the patch I had *never* seen a resist from them... especially from the blue MOBs I fight.

Sorry I helped highjack the thread, but you know, die.

Rara
Old 09-10-2002, 02:54 AM   #12
Hoppkins

Default evolve

Times change, zones change, spells change, graphics change, rules change, classes change...etc

If the rules never changed the game would be plain boring. Spells are becoming more powerful, faster, longer lasting and harder to resist.

The game as it was has to evolve around the patches they make. An obvious f**k up which VI failed to see was manaburn. Ive seen it do 16.5kdmg....Gorenair can be wasted by a few wizards now.

What can VI do to stop it?

Make manaburn less powerful? no...thats not fair to wizards..

Make Gorenair tougher? no...thats not fair to other players who have just started to get to the level that he is killable at.

People need to give VI a chance no doubt, these changes they make are not simple and need testing and lo and behold WE are the guinea pigs.

Old 09-10-2002, 06:25 AM   #13
Ghie

Default Re: evolve

I've seen manaburn do 20k.

I've seen trak die faster than I could change songs.

But you know, after spending so many hundreds of days of played time on my characters, I would have been disappointed if the big bads of the days of old weren't something I slapped thoughtlessly aside on my way to the tavern by now.

Its a good thing there are new big bads and such.

Changes like the resists changes are just adding a little flavor to the mix. It tastes funny at first but you get used to it and you might even get to like it.

Everquest, if it maintains its current course, will exist for years to come.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:58 AM   #14
Dwarkarn

Exactly it will it exist for years to come, you know why? Because the game has given me and a hell of a lot of other people 3 years worth of fun.

I am so sick of people whining about the latest change to the game that I could almost vomit, please just take the whiny @#%$ to EQVAULT, they will love you there.

A lot of people just sit back and say Verant is fvcked coz of this change or that change, but seriously do you ever consider the amount of work that must go into refining and testing the changes? I don't think you do.

I had a lot more to say but I am drunk so I will spare you.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:08 AM   #15
Chukzombi

There are a lot of angry bitter people out there, many think that if their miserable and you're happy then logically there must be something wrong with you.

Thus starts the "this game sucks, you need to get a life and stop playing! OMFG u r a looozer 4 tru3!" talk.

It all comes down to the same thing. they are jealous peope still have fun in EQ.

I only wish the people who quit eq would quit trying to rub their misery in other peoples faces by posting on this board telling you you are infererior to them in some way becuase they have "seen the light"

If i wasnt playing EQ id be playing chess or some other video game. i just like EQ best.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:53 PM   #16
Bulvyne

Chuk? Play CHESS??!?

LOL!!!

People leave the game for a multitude of reasons, the most common one being that they just aren't having fun anymore. There's nothing wrong with that. But plenty of people are out there picking up where those unhappy folks left off.

Bul

Old 09-10-2002, 07:21 PM   #17
Danzin

Dwarkarn..you rock..nuff said.

Danzin Wyndon...
52nd Season Wood Elf Ranger
Guild Leader "Elder Blades"
Old 09-11-2002, 07:37 AM   #18
kanewilliam

I, since about 1989 or so, have liked Online Games.. started with LORD and games like Tradewars (hehe my friend just put up an oldschool server: play by telnetting to 65.170.220.147 on port 12500).

Then I found MUDs, first was TeleArena and MajorMUD. With the advent of multi-line BBS's, I'd play dialup with my snappy new 9600 baud modem (hey it was like 1991 or 1992)..

But I like to chat. I spend countless hours on mIRC, even Yahoo chatrooms just gabbing with people.

The thing I think I like the most about EQ is the people.

EQ wouldn't be fun if I had my own server. I'd summon piles of uber crap and beat up everything for 30 minutes then quit. But the reason I keep playing is I get to talk to people about stuff.. talk about 9/11, games, help with PC problems, a new CD from a band I like.. or see how someone's new baby is doing.

It's social interaction I crave online. I am a social miscreant and most of my socializing is via the internet. EQ provides this beautifully for me.

Avatar-based chatroom. That's all it is to me. The leveling, item acquisition is all just "something to do" while I chat.

Old 09-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #19
WintaIH

/agree kanewilliam

I play EQ to talk to friends, thats primarily the reason I play. If my friends quit, i'd either make new ones, or stop playing.
Eq just happens to be a chatroom to me. I pay $13.00 a month (whatever it is..) to talk to people. I know it seems odd, but I do it. The leveling and gear just come along with that. Sure, I know, i can log on some odd chat site and talk to people there, but its just not the same. I've tried it before, time after time and it just isn't the same. Soo.. I play EQ and I probably will for a while.

Dwarkarn, your probably right, EQ will be around for years.
Why? Because VI makes money from it, whether people quit or not. Take how much it costs to keep those computers they have at the offices running, by how many accounts they have running, how much you pay, and you'll see they make there money. Another reason is that most guides are volunteers. VI did the smart thing and got Volunteer guides they wont have to pay. To me, it seems genius, but thats just me.