Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
Dahkren

Default Minidisc or MP3?

Looking to purchase a new portable audio device, and deciding between these two is a pain in the ass...

I can't seem to decide between a MP3 Hard Drive unit (one of the Nomads maybe, high storage capacity) or the new sony MD MZ-N1.

Anyone have any advice, and suggestions on a good unit? Would like something that connects directly with the computer and can take the music directly off it.

~Thanks in advance, Dahk.
Dahkren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:18 PM   #2
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

A year or so ago I would have told you to buy a mini disk player.

Now, mp3 players are much better imo. More storage than they used to have for the price, and very easy to use. Can't recommend any brandnames though, sorry.
Lurkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
Blessing Angel

mp3 > md

I have a MD and it sucks =/

Quoting from a friend, "Stupid people drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
Blessing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
CrypteXY
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to CrypteXY
I didnt think they were still making new MD stuff...there's dust on that stuff at the best buy I go to.
CrypteXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
senaka

if you had experiences with minidiscs a year ago, I understand your opinion that they suck. But there are much better ones now... I've got the Sony MZ-N707... I can put 5 hours 20 minutes of great quality sound on 1 disc, and the battery lasts for over 10 hours...

had an mp3 player before - bought in 2000.... so it was a little crappy...

I suppose you can't go wrong with those insane mp3 players, that have gigs and gigs of storage....

I like my minidisc player though
senaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
Bayamon
Lover of Fat Women

Mini Disc fan here.

I got tons of mini discs and an MZ-N1 and an MZ-N707 at the office hooked to my office stereo. Very portable, rewritable affordable media, unlimited capacity and fast transfers from CD to MD. Some of the songs quality even improved after download to MD.

Disadvantage: propietary format is recorded in the MD (but who cares once is recordable from MP3), only Sony produces MD nowadays.

I had the same dilema until a friend showed me his MD collection. The convenience, capacity per disk and portability beats any MP3 player hands down. MD was the right product at the wrong time. If they had released MD now as a new product people would be buying them like candy.

"I got your idiot hanging"- lilpackage of love
Bayamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #7
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
mp3 ownz

that is all
Old 01-30-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
Dahkren

Well with the new MP3 players I can put my entire mp3 collection onto it, and still have room for a crazy amount of songs still. Some of the new ones are hosting 20gig HD's.

I'm worried about the Sony MD players, I hear the software on them sucks and the copyright issues can be a pain in the ass. And on the other hand, have MP3 players become better sound wise? How is the quality?

Last edited by Dahkren; 01-30-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
Miiphon

Send a message via AIM to Miiphon
I had a similar decision, and ended up with both. Nowadays my minidisc player is gathering dust while i use my Rio MP3 cd player daily.
With the mp3 i can:

---Get almost 200 songs on a standard 700mb cd.
---Burn a mp3 cd in 5 minutes
---Have several discs at little cost and no need to erase
---Play almost 20 hours of music on 2 AA batteries (non rechargable or NiMH rechargable)-In MP3 mode the disk does not spin constantly like a regular cd player.
---Play standard CD's, WMA files or MP3 in one unit
---Burn MP3 to disk and not have to keep them on the hard drive

With the Minidisc i can:
Spend much more time copying far fewer songs
Carry several minidisc cartriges around ( = $$)
Have the same sound quality as the mp3

The choice for me was simple. While i like the compact size of MD, i like the versatility of a MP3 player.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:28 AM   #10
Dahkren

So you find the sound quality good Miiph? There are some pretty compact 20gig Mp3 players now, really leaning towards one of them.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:21 PM   #11
Dragoonslair

I think Miiphon was talking baout an MP3 diskman. As in a CD Player that reads cd's with mp3's burnt on them.

There is a HUGE dif between them and the mp3 players your looking into. Personally I have yet to get one but the choice is easy for me. I have about 2gigs of music total on my computer in about 5000 songs(approx? dunno for sure) So the Mp3 player with about a 5gig capacity would be MORE than enough for me to store every song I have on it and then about double that again.

Why spend the time and money buying MD's and burning them when you can just add all the songs to your Mp3 player as you get em?

I would have to say 2 years back(mabey even 3?) The MD would have been my choice as the mp3 players were laughable at 32 and 64MB lol!

but now I would choose the Mp3 player hands down.

Oh and from what I have seen quality is about the same.. which is better I do not know?

Dragoonslair 55th pally
Officer of <The Raenore>
Dragoonslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:01 AM   #12
Grys
Professional Troublemaker

Send a message via AIM to Grys Send a message via MSN to Grys
Default MP3 players

Archos is an awesome brand.

I've been looking for a while and, next time I hit the 'states, I'm buying one. Probly a 40 gig one so's I can own every song ever composed.
Grys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:39 AM   #13
Dragoonslair

lmao!

Almost makes ya wonder why they are making them so big =)

40gigs worth of music.. lmao that is the same as my full harddrive! And ya that's a heck of alot of music!

Am wondering if you increase the quality to 256(making the files much bigger) if there would be a noticible difference in the music and perhaps this is why thay are making the capacity on them so large?? just a thought =)

Dragoonslair 55th Pally
Officer of <The Raenore>
Dragoonslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I have the Archos 10 gig player and enjoy it quite a bit. (Full name is Archos Jukebox Studio 10 and retails for ~$200, less perhaps). It's also not a terrible way to transport other files, since it's USB interface and works just like a regular harddrive, and could be used for backup, in addition to music.

I also agree, at this point anyway, mp3>>>MD, unless you are a scary intense audiophile.