Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default High Cholesterol

I just got a message on my answering machine from my doctor telling me I have high cholesterol...and that she wants me to see a nutritionist.

Bah! I thought I was in pretty good shape. I'm 6'1" 200lb, which isn't too bad for my age (33). I guess I need to start eating better. I eat a lot of eggs, which I know is a no-no for cholesterol.

Do any of you have high cholesterol? If so, what are some good foods you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
darkforest

http://www.ahold.com/aholdinsociety/.../saturated.asp

That's a pretty good list of what to stay away from my doctor told me i had high cholestorol last year and she said that walking daily was a sure fire way to lower your cholestorol.Anything high in saturated fats is the one thing to really stay away from.She didn't put me on anything because it was just a little high but she cautioned me to walk lots and watch the saturated fats.
P.S i bought one of them george foreman rotisseries and to see all the grease and stuff that you would normally be eating is just insane best appliance i have ever bought
darkforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Festivus

I also have high cholesterol. After I found out I adjusted my diet to pretty much exclude butter (olive oil works wonders), started nuking veggies in the microwave just long enough to get them hot, and switched to fish and chicken for the most part. Now that my wife is pregnant were back to eating red meat (albiet fairly small portions).

It is worth noting that I used to go to Burger King almost daily and eat two whoppers and fries with a chocolate shake. Now I eat far more sensably, although I could eat more fruit than I do currently (two pieces per day).

Another thing I have heard is oatmeal and the like is good for lowering HDL, although I am not sure how much of that is marketing hype.

On the excercise front EQ has not helped that much. Someday I will quick and walk when I get home from work or something.

Your not alone bro, I am always willing to share healthy recipies and whatnot... Good luck with it.

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
Netura

Send a message via AIM to Netura
Heh, I'd like some good healthy recipes if you don't mind If you don't mind, could you send em to neturadruid@yahoo.com please? my whole family could probly benefit
thanks!~!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Netty is teh phat!
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:32 PM   #6
cnjmorris

Default Diet changes...

Sorry man, diet changes suck.

I finally got health insurance in Sept. I go in and find out I have diabetes. By talking to her and looking back at an old life insurance form I find out that I have had diabetes for atleast 6 years. My average seems to be over 450.

Along with that I had high blood pressure etc.

It sucks, but lucky for me it means less of the foods that are easy to grab and more of the foods that I like.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:39 AM   #7
Suseanne

Add RED WINE. It contains anti-oxidants and a small glass of red wine from time to time (once every other day, I guess) is very healthy.
Suseanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:28 AM   #8
Inmountains

Not only do I have high cholesterol, I have high blood pressure and will be on BP Medication the rest of my life. Last time it was measured, I believe my choloesterol was around 240, it is suppose to be under 200. Blood pressure was 140/110.

My favorite way to cut back is to not eat, maybe skip one meal a day, and eat smaller portions. I also eat more fruit, vegetables and less gravy and sauces.

Then again, I am 42, 6-2, 210, so about 20 pounds overweight too. Not bad for an OLD man.
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
Blessing Angel

High Cholesterol sucks, but *shrug* I didn't listen to the doctor and it went down by itself. Being limited to what you can and can't eat really is sad. Since majority of people enjoy eating food as an interesting hobby (besides being a necessary need).

High blood pressure sucks too! Those can bring out the worst of the worst migraines.

Best advice, Stay healthy or suffer =(

Quoting from a friend, "Stupid people drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
Blessing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:44 PM   #10
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Fact: Playing EQ makes your Blood Pressure increase by 20% or more a year.

Another Fact: Playing EQ makes you gain up to 10% more weight a year.

Fact#3: If you play EQ for more than 25 hours a week you are neglecting your kids and/or family and/or friends.
Lurkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:12 PM   #11
jenneva

Fact: Playing EQ makes your Blood Pressure increase by 20% or more a year.

Another Fact: Playing EQ makes you gain up to 10% more weight a year.

uhhh no.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:13 AM   #12
abas

Send a message via Yahoo to abas
I have high cholestrol.

Remember that there is a balance between good and bad cholestrol.

Eggs and things are fine, as long as they are in moderation. What you have to cut down is your intake of saturated fats. This is found in a lot of stuff - animal fat - beef pork lamb etc, dairy products, mayo etc.

Cooking - try and bake stuff, grill or steam it. Use plant oils like olive oils. Try and limit the amount of frying you do. When cooking meat remove what fat you can.

When shopping look at labels and see what proportion of saturated fats there are. I would suggest that you try and limit yourself to no more than about 30-40 grams a day.

Try and eat a lot more bran and wholemeal. There are also margarines and yoghurts which have plant stenols which can also help.

Stop going to macdonalds and KFC for a while too if you can help it, although once in a while wont kill you.

Good luck.

Gulug
abas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #13
Panidwen

Yeah I had high tryglicerides up until recently.

I was told I needed to loose weight to reduce it. So far I have lost 50 pounds since the begining of july. My chol and tri's are way way down so I made my DR happy.

You just really need to start looking at the labels of the things you eat. You would be shocked to see how much sodium is in a can of cambels soup. Eggs are just fine to eat but just be sure to spread it out over the week. Also many people add salt to most anything they eat and you have to not do that. Try to eat oatmeal too that has natural proprties that actually help reduce cholestrol. Oh and if you are needing to loose weight Carbs are the evil thing to look out for.

Panidwen
Panidwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:26 PM   #14
eronj

Default re

hey marti I had the same thing a few years ago. I did a program to help me. Little did i know this was a life changing experience.
www.bodyforlife.com
This program helped me litterally change my life. Before I was 6'2
245lbs with a bodyfat percentage of 31%. After the program I was 6'2 220 with 15% bodyfat. This was over a course of 12 weeks. Ever since then, I have brought my bf down to about 9% and i now weigh 225. I really hope you get this under control.
eronj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:41 PM   #15
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Geez... such a small range of being "healthy" in life, weight-wise. I don't think you can be 140 pounds and be healthy as a fully grown adult in his 20's and 30's... I dunno... And 200 pounds is too much? O.o EQ didn't make me gain 10% weight a year, it made me loose it, though. Maybe I'll just have to wait another 13 years to find out for sure.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote