Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2002, 12:10 PM   #26
Ealan01

Default Re: re

Given what has happened with the tobacco companies, they might as well hand out a lawyer's business card with every pack of joints.

It's hilarious to me that society has utterly demonized the tobacco companies and yet embraces the idea of legalized marijuana like it was handed down from heaven. If they do legalize pot in Canada (or in some part of the US), they should force you to sign a disclaimer stating that you know there will be adverse effects and you waive your right to ever sue under penalty of death.

The ultimate irony will be when all the pot cheerleaders who insist pot is perfectly healthy are suing the marijuana company 3 decades from now and claiming they "never knew it was bad"...

Old 09-10-2002, 01:26 PM   #27
Krrak

Default Re: re.

Actually Anikkin, I do not use pot - can't, allergic to tobacco smoke and I assume that the same would be true of pot smoke. However, as has been said several times in this thread - anything in excess is bad - Alcohol, Pot, Twinkies, McDonalds...anything.

My point is the right to choose is what is really the issue here, if someone abuses their personal rights - then and only then should the law step in. In moderation there is not only wisdom but sanity, that is to say - if someone can handle the use of alcohol, pot, or twinkies - they should be allowed to, as long as it does not infringe on the rights and freedoms of others. Just ask the victims of drunk drivers what it is like to be infringed upon (I should know - my father was killed by a drunk driver, but that is another topic...) and yet alcohol is still legal and the penalties for driving drunk are mostly laughable. And yet, the penalties for having a small amount of pot on your person (not even smoking it) are atrocious. I ask this - WHERE IS THE LOGIC??

Simple answer is - there is no logic. The lawmakers have decided against this kind of self-entertainment and have coerced studies to show that their way is the right way. In other countries where either the legality is different or being examined again, honest studies are showing that Fortress America's studies are mostly worth cow-patties.

Now every side will have an opinion - and I have no problem with opinions... what I have a problem with is the force-it-down-your-throat attitude that American law-enforcement is trying to give to the rest of the world.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:00 PM   #28
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Ealan

That's a good point, Ealan; and sadly probably true.

I don't smoke, and I doubt I'd smoke pot if they made it legal, but I sure as hell wouldn't sue a company for allowing me to purchase something out of my own lack of foresight.

Nekiah
Old 09-10-2002, 02:08 PM   #29
Dalamarn Darkgem

Alcohol is far worse on the body, both mind and otherwise (stomach, liver, etc..) than Marijuana. If I eat Mcdonalds every day I'll likely die before I would with smoking a joint a day. The top three reasons marijuana is now illegal in the U.S. is because:

1) It's a WEED. It grows anywhere and so cannot be easily regulated.

2) It has varying limits of THC which also makes it difficult to regulate.

3) When it was made illegal, new technology was coming out that would make hemp textile production MUCH cheaper and easier. This upset some of the big business who had their hands in the business and the goverment's ear.

In addition to the benefits to the textile markets, hemp produces oxygen at a rate many times that of a corresponding area of forest. This doesn't touch on the medical benefits to be derived from it. As Canada said, it's not a criminal issue, it's a health and social one.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:39 PM   #30
Maeri

I believe cannabis plants grow at a rate only second to that of bamboo, and perhaps some seaweeds. The fibre is very strong (it used to be the prefered material for making ropes), and makes an excellent source for textiles and paper. I've heard that attempts to use low- or no-THC cannabis plants have been not quite as productive (though still pretty good), because the THC aids in the development of the plant (something about it regulating the amount of sunlight entering new cells perhaps?). The push to make marijuana illegal in the US had a lot to do with the cotton industry. The US then pressured most other nations to follow suit.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:49 PM   #31
Quilawan EM

Two Notes:

First of all if you want good info of what pot does to your brain just look at Amsterdam. Pot has been legal there for the last 30 years or so and that country doesnt seem to be having any big problems. I have a friend who was born and lived in Amsterdam until he was about 14 or so, and even tho he did/does smoke pot he seems like a fairy normal guy to me. People take the published data of biased scientists as the truth when you can just look at a real life example.

Another reason to legalize would be to lower crime. How do you think a lot of the gangs in America make money? The answer is selling drugs, mainly weed. If weed is legalized you will pretty much put a lot of big gangs out of buisness (or atleast cut there money off).

Yet another reason to legalize would be because of this simple fact: If people want to smoke weed, they will smoke weed. No matter how many laws you set and enforce you will not stop people from smoking weed. No matter how many studies you publish you will not stop people from smoking weed. No matter how many drug busts you make, no matter how many people you put in jail, people will still smoke weed. So why not just legalize it and atleast make some profits by taxing it?

And then secondly, Anikkin. You played the god card when talking about drugs, followed by saying educating yourself is good. If you believe in god im going to assume that you follow the bible (esp. because you seem so fvcking matter-a-fact about it). So tell me, what caused sin to enter the world and humans to be banished from Eden? EATING THE FRUIT OF KNOWLEDGE. This means (if you believe that story) that when humans became filled with knowledge god became so angry that he cast them out into the real world (a pretty big punishment). Think about that one. I'm sure the churches of the world would rather have you smoke pot and become dumber so it becomes easier to swallow there facade rather than gain knowledge of the real world and science.

As a side note, im both a former pot smoker and a atheist.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:25 PM   #32
Lasiel

I live in BC, Canada. The Province that grows the most pot in the country. There were stats released about 10 years ago that had pot profits higher than our fruit and lumber industries tenfold. A lot of us up here, that smoke, have been saying for decades that the government needs to legalize and tax it. Want to see the recession dissapear real quick? That'd be the way to do it.

Mary jane growers in BC gross about 10 billion a year, so at a provincial and federal tax rate (7% Provincial and 7% federal) that's a tax grab for the provincial government/federal government of $700,000,000 a year.....each. The proceeds from these taxes can fund quite a lot of social and educational programs as well as our health care system and any other program the provincial or federal governments decide to toss the proceeds at. If it is legalized and taxed, Canada's deficit could be erased within 3-4 years just from the proceeds alone.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:35 AM   #33
Kerryn Darkwater

Lasiel, the reason that cannabis is so expensive is because it is illegal. Make it legal and that 10billion would probably drop to about $1billion. So the question is, is the revenue from tax worth the consequences?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:15 AM   #34
Lasiel

If the government decides to regulate it, then yes I would have to agree. I don't think it will be regulated though. The most regulation I see happening is growers will have to buy a permit to grow. But I guess we'll see what happens after they actually decide whether it will become decriminalised/legalised or not
Old 09-12-2002, 07:17 AM   #35
Delenlill

Bah its legal in The Netherlands for ages now at age of 16, booze and hookers too, and its even good for your health if you use it now and then, some people get it as description from the doctor
Old 09-12-2002, 07:46 AM   #36
Daveena

some people get it as description from the doctor
LOL

Old 09-12-2002, 07:52 AM   #37
Kerryn Darkwater

Damn. I missed that.