Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2002, 05:58 AM   #1
Kamakasi Battlemaster

Default Canadians Propose Legalizing Marijuana

Government Could Vote On Plan Next Year

Posted: 4:50 p.m. EDT September 6, 2002
Updated: 6:40 p.m. EDT September 6, 2002

DETROIT-- A new law could pave the way toward making marijuana use legal in Canada, which has officials in Michigan concerned, Local 4 reported Friday.

Canadian officials released a report recommending the legalization of marijuana.

The proposal would make it legal for anyone 16 years old or older to buy, use and grow marijuana for personal use.

In the report, a panel of lawmakers recommended the Canadian government regulate sales and production of marijuana, similar to the way cigarettes and beer are controlled.

Canadian officials are expected to vote on the proposal some time next year.

Anyone got any chips for me to munch on?

Kama
:rollin:

Old 09-09-2002, 06:03 AM   #2
Ghie

Just a proposal at the moment. Can't wait to see how they tighten security at the border should this pass.

Old 09-09-2002, 06:43 AM   #3
Krrak

Boy - am I glad I am a Canuck - and really have no reason to ever go "South of the border" - would hate to have Fortress America curtail my freedom because of their misguided information and deliberate misinformation on marijauna.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:00 AM   #4
Syndjinn Bladestorm

We are too @#%$ stupid and glutonous to stop eating fast food. Now the good ole US government is talking about stepping in. There's no way they would legalize weed....we are too @#%$ dumb. (maybe there's some sort of connection between the 2 )
Old 09-09-2002, 07:04 AM   #5
Daveena

I'm still adopting the "wait and see" outlook on this. They keep flip-flopping on the issue.

When I can go to a corner store and buy some grass...oh wait, that day is already here....ok, when I can go to a corner store and can LEGALLY buy some grass... :smokin:

I'd like to know how they came up with the age of 16. You have to be 19 to buy cigarettes and liquor in Ontario.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:10 AM   #6
panidwenthedruid

Default Hmm

A few weeks ago a hempfest was held here in seattle. I was at the store with my parents and there were people going around trying to get signatures for a petition that would allow first time offenders caught using or in possesion of marijuana to be given a warning instead of jail. We laughed at this person and told him no thanks.
I suppose if the guy spoke even halfway coherently I would have signed it but not when he talked like cheech and chong. They say Marijuana has no bad side effects on you I say bullshit. I say it makes you dumber then a box of rocks when you use it to much.

~pan

ps. I have tried it, wasn't bad but knowing that lung cancer is in my family I decided to skip the early death.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:17 AM   #7
Tuan00Dorf

Default Re: Hmm

Can someone save me the braincells from reading more replies like the ones above and just delete this thread.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:43 AM   #8
Kerryn Darkwater

Default Re: Hmm

We just decriminalised it here last month. Now if you get caught with under certain amounts of cannabis you can be let off with just a warning, unless it is your 3rd offence in one year.

Bad move if you ask me.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
Syndjinn Bladestorm

I just don't think people understand...ANYTHING in excess has bad side effects. A joint every now and then won't make you stupid.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:51 AM   #10
flapflapflap

Im moving to canada.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:55 AM   #11
Darue Ivywood

Default re.

panidwen wrote:

They say Marijuana has no bad side effects on you I say bullshit. I say it makes you dumber then a box of rocks when you use it to much.

I suggest you do more research before you speak.
With replies like that, maybe you oughta talk to your parents and find out how many drugs they did in the '60's....

LSD is bad....mmmkkay?

Living proof here..graduated with an Associates, 3.94 GPA in Electronics Engineering, while smoking through college.

Besides...Alcohol is more dangerous than MaryJane.

Old 09-09-2002, 11:03 AM   #12
Anikkin

Default Re: re.

Please stay in Canada Krrak.

Pot will F%^k up your mind. If you smoke it you obviously disagree with me. I rest my case.
Obviously if you feel the need to smoke it then are not satisfied with the mind God gave you. So in the quest to enhance your mind you inadvertantly destroy it. What a waste.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:07 AM   #13
Rheaton

Default The Xspurtz say...

Effects of Marijuana on the Brain

Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is processed by the hippocampus. The hippocampus is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that neurons in the information processing system of the hippocampus and the activity of the nerve fibers in this region are suppressed by THC. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate via this mechanism.

Recent research findings also indicate that long-term use of marijuana produces changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse.

Effects on the Lungs

Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. Continuing to smoke marijuana can lead to abnormal functioning of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke.

Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. This may be due to the marijuana users' inhaling more deeply and holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

A study of college students has shown that critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily, even after discontinuing its use for at least 24 hours. Researchers compared 65 "heavy users," who had smoked marijuana a median of 29 of the past 30 days, and 64 "light users," who had smoked a median of 1 of the past 30 days. After a closely monitored 19- to 24-hour period of abstinence from marijuana and other illicit drugs and alcohol, the undergraduates were given several standard tests measuring aspects of attention, memory, and learning. Compared to the light users, heavy marijuana users made more errors and had more difficulty sustaining attention, shifting attention to meet the demands of changes in the environment, and in registering, processing, and using information. These findings suggest that the greater impairment among heavy users is likely due to an alteration of brain activity produced by marijuana.

Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used marijuana have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

Research also shows more anger and more regressive behavior (thumb sucking, temper tantrums) in toddlers whose parents use marijuana than among the toddlers of non-using parents.

More here: www.personalhealthzone.co...fects.html

Old 09-09-2002, 11:31 AM   #14
Darue Ivywood

Default re.

Now do one on alcohol.

and lets see percentages of those that have died, either by ONLY THC, and ONLY Alcohol.

Old 09-09-2002, 11:42 AM   #15
Fadien Freespirit

Now do one on alcohol.

and lets see percentages of those that have died, either by ONLY THC, and ONLY Alcohol.

Are you saying that since Alcohol is legal, that Marijuana should be too?

Yes Alcohol causes many problems, and I would definatly say it causes more deaths then Marijuana does, but that is no excuse to make it legal. It would just be putting another problem out onto the market.

Honestly, I never touched cigs or pot or any of it. I had a sip of some Alcohol once, and I regreted doing so. If you ask me, they all cause more problems then they are worth.

That's my personal opinion though.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #16
OggimMCNF

Pot will F%^k up your mind. If you smoke it you obviously disagree with me. I rest my case.
Obviously if you feel the need to smoke it then are not satisfied with the mind God gave you. So in the quest to enhance your mind you inadvertantly destroy it. What a waste.
I don't smoke it, and I don't agree with you. Also, does getting an education count as not being satisfied with the mind God gave you? That seems like it would explain a lot, actually ...
Old 09-09-2002, 12:12 PM   #17
Riffstro

Default ..

This is nothing more than a case of taxizing a substance that is already easily accessible.

I'm sure even people that have never tried it would be able to aquire a bag of weed quite easily. Making it legal just allows to government to milk some of the profits, i'm sure if this goes through you will be required to buy a license to grow and or sell the subtance.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:13 PM   #18
Kamakasi Battlemaster

Default Its...

Its 4:19, anyone got a minute?

Kama
:rollin:
Old 09-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #19
Darue Ivywood

Default re.

Nope, what Im saying (or getting to) is that doing ANYTHING irresponsibly, or in excess, is bad for you.

Be it drinking alcohol, smoking pot, eating fast food, brushing your teeth (yes, in excess it causes cancer), etc etc..

Also, (as has been proven to a certain extent), that these things, in small amounts, can actually be beneficial to the human body. THC has been proven to help cancer patients, AIDS patients, and various other ailments, from severe to minor. Alcohol has been proven to rid the body of micro-bacteria, clean digestive tracks, help with insomnia. Toothpaste has been proven to (well, doubt I need to continue that one, but you get the jist)

Another point to remember are accidents. For a drug such as alcohol to be in an abundance, it causes more deaths to others than THC has in its entirety. If anything, it should be banned as once was if governements were to focus on the dangers of drugs. But they dont. Its about $$$$.

Read up on why marijuana was made illegal. Primarily for money. It wasnt taxable as morphine (cure all elixir..even your horse) could be back in the day. $1.00 /yr (in 1800's that was alot of money)

The fact that its still illegal, despite the fact that alcohol is more dangerous, is still all about money. Look at the expenditure that goes into fighting drugs. There are more marijuana busts than anything, and busts mean having the ability to put more people into the force, spend more money, to fight the crime. Without the busts, the public will want to know where their tax dollars are going. Make it legal and their goes the 'spenditure allocation.

My biggest point however was, dont lump EVERYONE into a category as being stupid just because they have smoked or still smoke pot. I know many VERY intelligent people that partake occasionally. (hell, I knew members of the DEA in MI that bought from a friend, as well as judges (his @#%$ was king of kronic! Hydroponic all the way!)) I also know many idiots who have smoked, still smoked, and never smoked. It doesnt matter what they do or did, they still are idiots. Some people are just born that way.

Old 09-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #20
Rheaton

Default Re: Its...

Alcohol is by far worse then "mary-J" in terms of physical impairment (one joint vs. 3 or 4 beers). But I would bet that the long-term effects to the brain are about the same. Both causes damage to a normally "healthy" brain. Pot, like alcohol, is just another way we destroy our physical bodies in the name of pleasure.

I know there are many who say it helps them with pain, emotions, etc. and I am not arguing with that. But for those who use it for "fun" are causing needless harm to their bodies. Whether its over-eating, smoking, beer, pot or heavier drugs - we do it cause it tastes / feels good.

Old 09-09-2002, 02:55 PM   #21
panidwenthedruid

Default hmm

Darue I was being a little sarcastic. I know many people who smoke pot. In fact just a month ago a friend that I knew was smoking with one of his friends. His friend went crazy and stabbed him to death momments later. They were both high. Ive taken college biology so I got a lecture on the whole drug deal so don't pull your research crap on me.

~pan
Old 09-09-2002, 03:20 PM   #22
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Puff puff give

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to have the energy for after getting baked...stabbing someone to death. Marijuana can cause bizarre effects on the brain, sure; but so can..."looks around the room", Pop-Tarts. I remember one facetious study proving high amounts of glucose in the bloodstream caused inadvertant aggression in some hyper-active lab rats.

Friends don't let friends eat pop-tarts.

Old 09-10-2002, 04:42 AM   #23
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Default Re: Puff puff give

Reefer madness is gonna get you! OOoooOOOooooOOOOO!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:50 AM   #24
Kerryn Darkwater

Default Re: Puff puff give

Hey I've smoked pot before and I made my own decision. It was screwing me up so I quit. It wasn't that I did it in excess. It was that when I did it I made bad judgement calls. Most people I've spoken to have will accept the fact it's bad for you.

Problem is it's like cigarettes. We know it's bad for us and we just don't give a stuff for the main part.
The hippocampus is a component of the brain's limbic system
I went to Loxley College at Sheffield Hallam University. The girls were so ugly there I was convinced that was a hippocampus.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to have the energy for after getting baked
I dunno about stabbing someone to death but every blueberry muffin within a three mile radius is in serious danger.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:33 AM   #25
Anikkin

Default Re: re

The fact that you are bettering your mind by getting an education says a lot about your mind. I know that with improving my mind I become satisfied with it constantly.

If you are smoking pot that says alot about how you are trying to destroy your mind.
If you smoke pot and are getting an education then you are warping your mind and therefore the knowledge you get is screwed up. Much like many did in the 60's. I know, I was there and watched so many good minds get wasted on all kinds of stuff. How sad a time it was. Now these same people are running our world, OMG
hehe, we're in their world now