Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2002, 11:32 PM   #1
Jubei1

Default Shadowbane

Shadowbane is slated for November, but the website is pretty secretive on the game dynamics. Anyone know how good or bad it will be?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:45 AM   #2
Aamrie Servant of Lanys

beta testing now..

Not too bad.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:11 AM   #3
Vendrix

All the people I know who tested it didn't last more than 2 weeks. Apparently there is some 'new build' in the works that's supposed to add a ton of content, that may draw a few people back into the testing process.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:19 AM   #4
Ghie

My understanding of the game is that it allows for non consentual PvP. IE, you can attack or be attacked by other players without requiring any kind of flag setting etc...

Sorry, I play bluebie server for a reason and PvP is what got me out of UO.

Don't try the only certain zones/areas are PvP like some games are trying(DAoC). If I play a game, I want the whole game, not just some lower level parts.

Old 09-09-2002, 06:25 AM   #5
Elwyn

Shadowbane has the best character development/skill system I've ever seen. The sheer number of ways to customize your character is incredible.
The interface is amazing. You can customize everything.

The graphics and movement (ugh, click to move) suck the big one. If they were to fix those, the game might be playable.

The AC2 beta is worth checking out, it has a lot of potential and is tons of fun to play right now.
Fileplanet still has some beta accounts available (for subscribers) or you can pick up an October Computer Games magazine (www.cgonline.com) and get a beta that way.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:47 AM   #6
Cattie Luv

Sent in my NDA over 6 weeks ago.

mailed after 1 week asking wtf was up. said they were waiting for some patch... still nothing.

i've given up. not a game i will play a think. if this is how they deal with their testers.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:40 AM   #7
Jubei1

I play bluebie server for a reason
Yeah I did too. It's because I played on a blue server that I'm looking forward to some anger management from my next game.

Hopefully the game will be good, mabey if Cattie plays she can get a rematch Is Da`Kor going to play SB enforce?
Old 09-09-2002, 08:09 AM   #8
solistar

I thought it looked cool, but the more I hear about it the more I think it's going to turn out to be a AO

Old 09-09-2002, 08:28 AM   #9
Vendrix

<font color=fff00>Is Da`Kor going to play SB enforce?</font>

Honestly, I think you’ll have to ask each person individually rather than the group as a whole. There are aspects of the game that appeal to some and others wouldn’t touch with a 10-foot pole(click-movement, unrestricted PvP, 3 year old graphics, etc.). I’d like to think some game will present itself in the near future where we can all get together and beat on AI controlled pixels(and hopefully have the option to beat on, ohhh, Tuan controlled pixels as well!), I just don’t think its going to be Shadowbane unless they make some MAJOR changes between now and release time.

I'm also very unhappy with how they’ve released information to the public regarding their game. If you didn’t know, in order for a web site to post information about Shadowbane they have to be Wolfpac approved or some sh*t to circumvent the strict NDA everyone plays under(see: sb.warcry.com). What this actually means is they’re PAID employees of Wolfpac who are allowed to tell people the finer aspects of the game, and nothing else.

If you want to see what we’re up to, stop by #da`kor(irc.stratics.com, irc.frws.com, whatever) sometime.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:35 AM   #10
Ghie

It looks to me like the best bets for a true EQ successor will be Worlds of Warcraft and possibly Star Wars Galaxies. The rest of the games in development will go the way of AC and DAoC.

I might give Horizons a shot, if they ever finish it.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:39 AM   #11
Nuldar

I lasted a week in beta....it needs help.

Nuldar
Da`Kor
Old 09-09-2002, 12:59 PM   #12
Blytzz

SWG > all
Old 09-09-2002, 01:57 PM   #13
solistar

I'm really looking forward to SWG and WoW

All my friends are doing SWG, I'll prolly do both

Atm tho, Diablo II owns, been playing that off and on for 6mo, finally made lv65!

PS: Sorcs pown all
Old 09-09-2002, 10:49 PM   #14
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Solistar, when did you quit playing AO? I've been playing it for over a year, and it ain't the same game now. I guess you're one of the famous 12.6 quitters right? Nonetheless, I have a negative spiel on its PvP aspects.

PvP in MMORPG's to me makes no sense. Most, if not all, are developed around a grouping reward system that encourages teaming up and making friends. Even UO eventually went down this track. So, the ganking aspect of it, whether it's Felucca, red EQ servers, or 0 and 25% zones in AO flies in the face of the game system's mechanics.

In the case of AO, connection speed and profession > everything. A doc and a trader teaming up will own nearly everything. The traditional gankmeisters of AO, the enforcers, agents and soldiers have had their abilities nerfed in one way or the other. Reduced PvP damage, aimed shot nerfs, mongo refresh times, reflect shield stacking issues.

For a while, the meta-physicist ruled the roost. Now people are learning the doc is the shiznit in PvP.

Funcom can't get PvP right; the professions are too unbalanced. The poor bureaucrat's main skills (charms and lulls) don't work in PvP, necessitating the 'crat to invest a zillion IP in a weapon skill like shotguns. The engineer? No offensive capabilities apart from their robot. More work on weapon skills...it can be done. I've seen 'crats and engineers with PvP titles...usually with a good guild to back them up.

But even the most ardent ganker in AO will tell you the system blows.

Thn there's a question of spending $13 or so a month to kill someone online. The FPS fans laugh at this and tell you they can do the same thing for free (or the price of Gamespy).

I agree with them. Considering that death, whether by mob or player, usually carries at the least, a time inconvenience in an MMORPG, and you have to question why people are willing to pay for the experience. I played EQ to have fun and talk to people. I fired up Half-life and Quake 3 to commit virtual murder, death, kill.

Good luck Shadowbane.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:12 AM   #15
Elnots Sadnes

Ever since two years ago I've been thinking, Shadowbane will kill EQ, it's been so long I've been also thinking, if it's taking this long then it's really going to be perfect.

But the more and more I hear about it, I'm waiting for SWG.

Calamarian Politician/squad leader suits my ideas of a good time
Old 09-10-2002, 05:32 AM   #16
solistar

Ulujain heh, I don't honestly remember when I left (patch number atleast) Just that I've not posted with this account forever and never changed my sig, when I stopped posting most all my friends had as well, now they are all back

I really do think it is possible to make a OL PvP game with Roleplaying in mind, it's just not been done yet, and I am almost certain that SB will not be the one to do it ( who knows, they might get the PvP right, but everything else wrong :P)

I still however think the idea of shadowbane is in the right ballpark, atleast for a large scale PvP game, which to note is MUCH larger than any of the quake games I have joined

<waves to elnots>
Old 09-10-2002, 06:15 AM   #17
Ghie

I think that Horizons has the best idea for Roleplaying and PvP...They are like the race wars idea only that instead of team a vs all other teams, each race has a mortal enemy or two who they can pvp with free of consequence. IE angels and demons can fight eachother but should a demon attack a human there would be consequences.

Old 09-10-2002, 11:09 AM   #18
Keltarin Stormshadow

SWG is shaping up to be the most casual-geared game seen yet. In a sense, it's almost the anti-Shadowbane. I can't say too much due to NDA, but I will say that there are some concerns that there won't be enough for achiever-types to do. Whether or not that ends up being the case, we'll have to see. I'm sure you'll hear more as the game gets into further betas.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:02 PM   #19
Ealan01

Horizons tends to have the best concept of everything because that's essentially all it is. It's a study in vaporware 101. I see Horizons as a theoretical model of what the "ultimate dream MMORPG" would be. Unfortunately, there's that sticky little aspect of what can be reasonably achieved with current technology and what can actually translate to a workable game engine.

So far, all the Horizons team has really proven is that they are good with Photoshop and are tenacious in pursuing funding.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #20
Bulvyne

I was in EB last night, and the guy at the counter showed me the spiffy new "Shadowbane Pre-Sale" boxes they had lined up on the wall.

He looked up in the computer and said that the date had been pushed back to February.

One thing about Shadowbane is for certain: if it never makes it out, it aint gonna do SQUAT.

Be that as it may, IF it ever makes it out, I will certainly try it for sh!ts and grins. I tried DAOC, and will certainly try SB and SWG.

Bul
Old 09-10-2002, 07:19 PM   #21
RambunctiousRogue

Shadowbane, what can I say. They have been trying to create the most realistic (I realize that is self-contradicting being a fantasy game) and most interactive MMOG. I saw someone earlier complaining about point and click. Annoying, but genious. Do you realize how much information which translates to lag that they don't have to compute with a point and click movement system. That's one reason why raids in EQ can't exceed massive numbers. Shadowbane has garaunteed that their system will be able to handle an indefinite amount of characters.

Think about it. Everytime you move in EQ, even if it's just one stroke on the pad, for that movement you have to send your x,y, and z axis coordinates to the server, which then computes the new coordinates, and then relays them back to your computer, which then verifies that the point has been reached. And it does this for each hundreth of a movement in LOC. Now granted it presents an amazing first person point of view, but it also creates extreme amounts of basically useless information. This is especially true when moving across great distances in a straight line. For the reasons above, "ghosting" in hilly zones can be done. To make a long story short, with point and click, you have point 'A,' and point 'B.' It takes a lot out of the work.

As for PvP, I'm thrilled for it. I hate what EQ has created. It is basically an endless spiral of level, raid, loot; to get better, to go on harder raids, to get better gear, to level faster, to go harder raids and blah blah blah. VI has basically taken the name of "'Ever'Quest" way to literally. With PvP, an entire different purpose to the game is introduce. Although other games have had PvP, they have not revolved around PvP. Shadowbane is bringing something entirely new to the table.

On top of those reasons, the dynamics of Shadowbane are utterly amazing. The world, itself, literally the dirt and trees, can be physically destroyed, moved, etc.; and they stay like that. No other game has even come close to those dynamics. Not to mention, (someone already did) the dynamics of the characters. In all liklihood, the chances of any two charcters having the same in base stats, let alone gear, are slim.

All I can say is that I'm definitely looking forward to Shadowbane. But no game can be flawless, so I'm definitely going to wait a month or two to see how well it turns out. I'm not dissing EQ in anyway. EQ has my upmost respect. At the time EQ came out, everyone bashed it and went on their UO tirades (please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that). Oh EQ this and EQ that. I mean come on. UO was running on fvcking 256 color and was 2D, and people had the gall to slam EQ and say it would never take off. And I'm sure the same thing happened to UO when everyone was trudging and typing along in MUDs (MUDs are cool though, a totally unique experience if you've never tried one). So what I'm saying is, give Shadowbane a chance. It might surpass everyone's expectations (I certainly think EQ did) or it might fail them. But in either case, give Shadowbane a chance.

Philchy

P.S. Did I mention the completely digital platform the severs are running on and oh yeah, the low basis on char devolpment and gear? Oh yeah and the... ... ... ... .. .

You get the point.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:57 PM   #22
Jubei1

Well now EB is showing a ship date of Feb 2003. I dont think this game is ever going to come out now heh.... Honestly, how long has this game been set back now?

Anyone have a link to Horizons?
Old 09-11-2002, 12:18 AM   #23
Ulujain Ebonelphette

horizons.mmorpg.net/ seemed an informative site.

You know, I'm still smarting at EA's decision to pull the plug on UO2. It really did look a sweet game. "'Cos it'll compete with UO" they said...and what do we have coming up? EQ2 and SWG...and these two games won't compete with EQ's playerbase?

/boggle

Oh well..14.5 patch time for AO.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:25 AM   #24
Elnots Sadnes

Rambun,

The only reason I have my doubts about SB, now, is because of DAoC, AO, and all the other games that have come out and "at least not yet* not lived up to EQ's level of addiction..

DAoC, it is obvious they saw EQ, tried to improve on it, add PvP that excluded the bluebie people and when RvR stopped being the best thing for people to do they added raid zones. I played DAoC for awhile for the sole purpose of trying to break my EQ addiction. It worked for a few months and then I was back on EQ.

If another game can catch me like EQ did, then please let it come out soon!

/waves back
Old 09-11-2002, 07:29 AM   #25
OggimMCNF

Default level grind

For me the biggest problem with DaoC was the level grind. It felt like there was a lot less variety, and a lot less to do, than in EQ. I stopped playing at around level 15, well before my trial account was up, simply because it was much too boring for me.

I think DaoC had a lot of good ideas, but copied so much from EQ that when Mythic saw characters levelling up 'too fast' they went straight for the nerf stick because that was the only thing they knew how to copy from EQ. Everything that did appeal to me in that game (fast levelling, group with friends even if they aren't near your level, etc.) got nerfed within a couple of weeks of release.

If Shadowbane can be run in a window and has fast levelling, I may give it a shot a few months after it comes out. I don't think I'm willing to buy any new mmorpg right when it comes out after seeing what happened with AO and DaoC.