Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2002, 06:46 AM   #1
Abneo

Default To Return or not? That is the question

Hi all,
I just received my new computer and it is more then capable of running everquest an all its expanisons. While I am waiting for SWG to be released I am finding myself missing online gaming. I have been playing JK2 and SW BG but it's just not the same. I canceled my everquest account last Jan or so I belive and I think I can still get Abneo back if I wanted. My questions are, how has the game been? Is the game still fun for all of you or just a habit? What new and exciting things have I missed in my time off? Those are the things I am asking my self in deciding. If I do decide to come back though I won't get nearly the time I used to since my job requires me to be at work more and I am getting married soon. So what do you guys think? Is the game still worth playing?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2002, 07:07 AM   #2
Baledin Trueblade

I've returned after 9 months of exile myself. I enjoy the game now more than ever (though still find problems with it). There is a lot of new stuff, and I'm happy I came back.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 AM   #3
Cattie Luv

The game is still worth playing.
it's still fun, mostly, but it varies on a day-to-day basis, at least to me.

Your character will still be there. i had my account cancelled 9 months, and all my chars was still there. Even if verant have that 6 month policy, they don't delete chars.

They have really changed the game alot since last i played it. felt like a whole new game to me. Which is a good thing.

So go ahead and try it out.

Old 09-12-2002, 07:37 AM   #4
Wigleef

Quick question for those that have cancelled and returned later to find their account still intact -- when you returned, did your characters still have all of the plat/items that they did when you originally let the account expire?

Wigleef Mapleleef
58 Druid - Legion of Fate
Old 09-12-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Come on boy, you know you want to come back.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:10 PM   #6
Alethia or Celoria

Doooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeet! Come on sweetie! You know you wanna! Anyways, I miss ya.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:53 PM   #7
Carathos Ollathir

I came back after 7 months and I'm having a lot of fun. Had to re-learn a lot of stuff (and not just because I'm playing a different class), but it's worth it.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #8
Elwyn

Try out the Asheron's Call beta instead, it'll take advantage of your new machine.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:29 PM   #9
Parum n Silarik

For the love of everything holy, stay out.

This game is so addicting you dont want to relapse.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:14 PM   #10
Dwarkarn

Each to their own but to me EQ has become tired, boring and just not worh the time anymore. In fact I dont think I will be playing any future MMORPG's either as they simply wont have the same magic to them that Everquest did when it was new.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:27 AM   #11
Faide the Ebon Hand

"I am getting married soon."

Magic 8 Ball sez: "My sources say No"
Old 09-13-2002, 11:50 AM   #12
Aulus Cornelius Celsus

With regards to your question about your IG property - yes, everything will be as the last time you logged out of the game. I cancelled my EQ account in early 2000 after a year of EQ, and re-activated it about 2 months ago - everything was still there. It really brought a whole lot of memories back looking through my old things.

Regarding your question about whether it's worth coming back to - as someone else mentioned, it depends on what you enjoyed about the game. Personally, the most noticeable difference for me is/was an intangible "magic" that was around in 1999 and 2000 and just doesn't seem to be there these days - mostly the sense of having a vast world to explore AND a lot of people to do it with. It seems paradoxical, given how there are now 3 additional expansions, but given how easy it is these days to travel - even at low levels, the world feels very small now. Additionally, unless you resurrect an old high-level character, the low-to-mid level game can be an awfully lonely one - not like when you had 50 people in each zone at around the same level as you figuring things out together. The issue with using your old character is that in many little ways, the game HAS changed, making it a little dicey to jump right into the high-level game again - especially if you have forgotten a lot in the first place. Probably better to use your old characters' assets to give a new one a nice start in life.

Some nice "packaging" things that make the game a lot more "21st century" include a slick new customizable user interface (lots of 3rd party mods out there now) which allows you to use the old "full screen" view all the time, as well as a new "bazaar" function which allows much easier item trading between players - albeit still within one zone only.

I don't know too much about SWG, but that's till many months away from what I understand. If you are more inclined toward the fantasy theme (as I am), it might make more sense to re-start EQ now, participate in the interim Planes of Power "upgrade", and pick-up EQ2 when it comes out next year - with a game engine apparently even better than the one in SWG.

Best of luck,

Celsus

Old 09-13-2002, 11:51 AM   #13
Greell the druid

no, never come back. run! run fast! you're free now! you're free!

~Greell~