Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 06:55 AM   #1
Daveena

Default New NHL season

Yup, it's that time and yet again they are "cracking down" on obstruction.

Do you think they'll actually stick with it or give up after a month or two like they usually do?

I hope they stick with it and open the game up some more. Should reduce the effectiveness of the trap.

The other big change will be quicker face-offs. I don't remember the full details, but basically puck is dropped within 18 seconds.

I'm looking forward to this, especially when I'm at the games. I really hate being bombarded by music and ads and the general yammering of trivia contests and crap like that. I don't think they need to fill every second of silence in an arena. I'm there to watch a hockey game.

To a new season!

GO SENS GO!!!

Old 09-11-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
Huksh02

I really wish they would get rid of the two line pass rule..it ruined the game.

Huksh
Old 09-11-2002, 08:18 AM   #3
MarshallEido

I don't like the 18 sec rule. The extra little delays that veteran players cause, plus their slow skating to the face off circle, allows the star players more time to rest. When the game is on the line, you want your stars out there.

This 18 second rule will speed up the game, but I don't think it will be good for the game.

As far as the obstruction rule goes, it will make the NHL more like the international game, which in my opinion is bad. I enjoy the tough hard hitting 1-0 games more than the fancy fast skating 6-5 games.

2-line pass is another great rule. It slows the game down and benifits good puck control teams. Rules like this make for more 6-5 games, which suck IMO.

Eido

Go Redwings !!
Old 09-11-2002, 08:29 AM   #4
Martigan

All I know is that the Sharks are going to take it all this year.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:36 AM   #5
Walterscott

I bet no one can guess who I want to win... :P

Old 09-11-2002, 08:51 AM   #6
Daveena

Detroit has had it long enough now...besides, can't let Cujo get the cup now can we.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:53 AM   #7
Toxx The Wizard

Mario plans on playing in 70ish games this year.

Penguin powah.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:36 AM   #8
Huksh02

A lot of the US olympic hockey players liked the way the international rules were...hockey is meant to be a fast game. They need to expand the ice surface a bit, get rid of some of these rules and open the game back up. Just look at the trend in hockey players now in the NHL they have gotten bigger and bigger and the fast little finesse guys are getting killed.

Huksh
Old 09-11-2002, 09:59 AM   #9
Walterscott

They need to expand the ice surface a bit
That will never happen. That would call for the owners to lose about 5-10 rows of seats at $100 + per seat. Don't hold your breath on that one.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #10
Daveena

Oh, and I think most arenas will be setting up some sort of netting at the end zones to catch stray pucks. My seats better be near the blueline!

Old 09-11-2002, 12:13 PM   #11
RambunctiousRogue

Big hockey fan right here. Not only am I big B-Hawk and Blues fan (I know they're rivals, but I practically live in both towns), I also play on my High Shcool team.

If the NHL could make one rule book change, they MUST put Instigation back in. Since they took it out, the game has totally changed. Guys like Tony Twist, who I hated when he was on the BLues, can actually get paid to do nothing but be bad asses. That's not hockey.

Back in the day, for some of you who forgot what Instigation was, if two players got in a fight, a second from the team who started, or instigated the fight, would be sent to the box. Now that the rule has been repealed, teams hire players specifically for the purpose of dragging other teams players into the box. While it is both allowed and good strategy, it is lame none the less.

Besides that, if anything to help hockey could be done, a few things could be thrown on the list:

Contraction (Yeah I know everyone hates it, but talent is way too thin right now in my opinion.)
Mandatory Drug Testing (With penalties)

That's all that comes to mind right now, but I'm sure you've got all your own opinions.

GO BLUES!!!
GO BLACKHAWKS

Philchy

P.S. The day Bill Wirtz dies is the day I rejoice. Untill then, the hawks will sadly never win a cup
Old 09-12-2002, 10:18 AM   #12
Rivenstar Bladesinger

Thrashers Fan here!!

Eat sleep and breathe the sport here in Atlanta, GA. I play both roller and ice and am truly looking forward to a new season and a little more time on the ice for Ilya and Dany Heatley.

In terms of the rule changes I agree with cracking down on obstruction. I love you watch the skill players get a little open ice and start the rush. The beauty of hockey consists of 3 things IMHO:

1.speed
2.finesse
3.skill

Men that are 235 lbs skating at 20+ MPH controlling a piece of vulcanized rubber and laying it tape to tape with another team mate on the rush is a thing of beauty. I want to see more scoring or at least more scoring chances. Allow the skill of the players to shine. Having some half-witted thug basically dry-hump my offence firepower drives me insane. The neutral zone trap is an amazing system of defence and extremely complex to understand and install. But once a team masters it , it's incredibly tough to beat.

The days of the Broad Street Bullies is over. The league is now more international and the Canadians and Americans are going to need adapt. The talent is here in the States and Canada to compete on every level but the finesse style has to be taught and taught early. Once we have more players like Heatley, Kariya, Leclair, Roenick, and more we can combine the best of both games. hard hitting and fast and furious in the corners. But with scoring chances created by the skill of players, not by defence breakdowns or clutching and grabbing.

Now do not get me wrong. I love big hitters like Rob Blake and Hall Gill. Owen Nolan right now is one of my favorite players and he can lay the wood to you and pick any corner with ease when shooting. But couple that with opening the ice and the game will appeal to the masses and truly put hockey where is needs to be. On top of the Sports Heap.

Hockey > all.

RivenStar
Old 09-12-2002, 03:59 PM   #13
PrincessRazz

ummm can we say GO AVS!!!!

Razz
Old 09-13-2002, 02:07 PM   #14
Kaidyn EMarr

--Good call on Wirtz... He can suck my left nut.
"Wow, look at all these great players, lets get rid of them..."
"...but we'll keep Chelios for the fans."
"um, nevermind... lets get rid of him too. Better yet, lets send him to our Arch-rivals in Detroit."

Just another case of Chicago sports management holding back the team. /sigh

GO HAWKS!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:00 PM   #15
Huksh02

Bruins > all....about 70 years or so of course
Old 09-13-2002, 05:54 PM   #16
Dwarkarn

I really wish they would get rid of the two line pass rule..it ruined the game.
Word.

Penguins are gonna win Lord Stanleys Cup this year with the help of a miracle of course.

Old 09-13-2002, 06:20 PM   #17
Jexielia

I just want the penguins... err... hawks... err wings to win...

GO GO <s>REDWINGS!</s> Mighty Ducks!