Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2002, 08:26 AM   #1
Birren

Default Luclin graphics vs my puter

Ok, heres the deal. When i go to zones heavy with moon graphics i lag a considerable amount, even with clipping turned down to almost nothing. When i got to UP i have to turn it down to nothing or i can barely move.

My puter is a PIII 1ghz. 380something ram. Geforce 3 with 64 megs of video ram. And i have a cable interenet connect.

So, my question is, are my lag issues due to my computer or something else?

Old 09-12-2002, 08:40 AM   #2
Daveena

What options do you have turned on?

ie: Luclin Models, file caching, social animations, detail level...etc?

You might want to knock some of these down a bit.

I find the worst zones are the Nexus and the Bazaar for frame rate issues. I just drop the clipping plane and go to overhead view for these zones. Everywhere else seems not too bad. Been awhile since I've been in Shar'Val.

If you can afford it, you might consider boosting your RAM to 512 Meg.

Are you running any back ground tasks? Nuke anything you can that eats up memory before you play.

Old 09-12-2002, 08:50 PM   #3
Birren

luclin models are off, all other settings are to a minimum
Old 09-13-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
TyriaEM

I have the same symptoms/problems you do with almost the same system config you do and have 512 megs of ram, on top of that.

The ground in Luclin has become my best friend, looking at the ground all day and I'm getting much better at navigating by the texture of the grass...but inevitably run into at least 3 random mobs as I barrel forward without seeing where I'm going using /loc

I feel your pain...
Old 09-13-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
Lasiel

You might want to check and see if the specs for your power supply match the specs for amperage/wattage on the GeForce 3. If they're borderline acceptible you will lag, if they're sub-par you'll lockup and crash.

The power requirements for the GeForce 3 from the manufacturer are as follows:

20A for the +3.3V power.
30A for the +5V power.
165W for the combined +5V/+3.3V power.

You'll have to take one of the panels off of your case to check the sticker on the power supply. If they don't match or are sub-par. Take those specs into a comp shop and buy a power supply that meets or exceeds those specs.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:35 AM   #6
Daveena

Augh...at work now so I don't remember the command.

Try /showgrass off (might be in the help file)

This will help a fair bit with video lag in some of the outdoor zones by clearing out some of the shrubbery.

This might screw Tyria up though if she uses them for navigation

Other thoughts:

Knock the clipping plane down.
Lower or turn off spell particles (I run on "low").
Put sky to single layer or none.

Those are some of the typical stuff.

Are there particular zones you're having problems in?

I have found Luclin to be more video intensive than Old World/Kunark/Velious but still playable.

Old 09-13-2002, 12:03 PM   #7
Aulus Cornelius Celsus

The GF3 should be able to handle Luclin graphics pretty well and is probably not the culprit unless there are the power supply problems mentioned above (but not likely unless you have many other devices in your box).

The 1 gig CPU should also be ok.

i.e. The cheapest way to improve performance dramatically would be to go out and buy some RAM, as suggested above.

Finally, be sure your hard drive isn't too fragmented and/or too full, as the Luclin graphics require quite a bit of disk access.

Good luck,

Celsus

Old 09-13-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
netura

/showspell effects off, is quite nice...not like the spell effects are that great anyways...besides the epic ones!
/net
Old 09-13-2002, 09:55 PM   #9
Leldari Luthiniel

One more thing you might want to check is your bandwidth. I noticed you have a cable connection and they are bad about limiting bandwidth. A guildmate was about to trash their 1.8g w/1g ram system until they went to webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/ and ran the test. They found out their cable company had locked them down to around 56k. A quick rant/bitch/complaint call to the cable company got the lockdown removed and he now cruises Luclin freely.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
Razer

my Athlon XP 1700+ w/ 512mb ram and a GeForce3 ti200 runs things okay usually. I normally play with halfer, darkie, iksar, wood elf, and 1 or 2 other races turned on and I only have lag issues in the bazaar and when the nexus is packed. Course large raids can lag some, but /shownames 1 cuts that down some. and spell effects off.

In UP before with same vid card and ram, but only a 650mhz processor I couldn't leave zone in area cause the trees killed me.

I have all models turned on at the moment and in UP with 3 groups at zone in area it lags a little bit.

Your processor is still kinda low for running this stuff I would imagine. bumping to 512mb ram would help I'm sure. Try upgrading to the newest Detonator drivers for your video card. 40.40 I think it is, they CLAIM up to a 20 percent performance increase on stuff :P
Old 09-14-2002, 07:26 AM   #11
Darue Ivywood

Default re.

For those that have problems, and have ample RAM and CPU speeds, as well as a decent Vid card.

How much drive space do you have left?

I have noticed that even with only 500Megs of space left (sound like a lot, but really isnt), its kinda choppy. After freeing over a Gig of space the problems went away.

just a suggestion, it seems EQ likes to build a huge a$$ swap file (love thier awesome coders /sigh), more-so now with Luclin, so keep the drive clean and de-fragged, and things might run smoother.

Old 09-14-2002, 07:36 AM   #12
Birren

Default Re: re.

thanks for all the suggestions. Many of them i have already tried. Others i will try, specifically the bandwidth /em eyes his cable company.

thanks

Old 09-14-2002, 07:43 AM   #13
Druid Stacy

What version of windows are you running also has a very large impact on your computers performance. You might want to see about upgrading to a newer version of Windows. I am sure that when the Luclin expansion came out, they probably suited the game to be optimized with Win2k as main operating system. I am running WinME on my computer with pretty much the same settings as you have. I hated to do it, but I had to turn off the NewUI because of it. I went to my friends house with the same setup as me but running Win2k and he is having no problems at all with NewUI and any graphic slowdowns. I know that the NewUI is pretty nice, but for 3 years now the OldUI has not caused any problems. Whenever I go on any raid I make sure I turn off the most intense graphics such as Spell effects, PC names, Clip Plain, Sky details and lastly Character Models (this is the biggy). Doing this on a large raid in any zone improves your performance during a raid due to lessing the lag you might have during a fight. There has been several times where I saw the MA not respond quick enough when a mob moved away from him and went after a cleric. If I was lagging as bad as he was I might not have seen it and the cleric would have died if I wasnt their to taunt it off of him.

Well, hope my little 2cp help you out some.

59 war
52 bard
51 druid
49 enchanter
48 cleric