Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Gilgamel Avamar

Default Question about DAOC if anyone knows.

Friend trying to get me to play DAOC. I tried it, seems like EQ with prettier graphics. Anyone who plays it I know want to gimme a shout or anyone who plays I may not know want to tell me what they think of it and the similarities/differences from EQ at the endgame. Thanks.

Gilg
Gilgamel Avamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:06 PM   #2
Gonada

Send a message via ICQ to Gonada
i played daoc (35 lvls on a blue server(MLF, wiz) and 43 on a pvp(Modred, armsman))

My thoughts:

Lvling is very easy, in fact you can go right to 50 solo.

graphics is bout the same as eq, nicer in some ways, worse in others.overall id say better until the spell effect revamp, pop age.

item decay: good and bad, the rare uber items you only bring out for pvp or boss mob encounters, same with armor.

blue vs pvp server, PVP wins out every time, skills based upon pvp are unique and very deadly, blue servers reminded me WAY to much of eq.

many quests, most are alot of fun.(especially alb wiz, which gives the most items of all the classes questwise)

the classes are varied and deadly in their own way, moreso than in eq, better definition classwise to say the least.

Being part of the #1 pk / raiding guild on modred (Retribution) gave me a chance to experience most of what daoc offered, it however kept reminding me of eq :/

I had a lot of fun on daoc, hard to say exactly why i quit, guess i found it too easy in the short run, i only played it for three months on a casual basis and was within 7 lvl of the cap.

any more questions id be happy to answer.
Gonada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:17 AM   #3
PrincessRazz

Default DAOC

I played for awhile its a lot easier then EQ to lvl and die lol. But i think its a poor replica of EQ and i dont like it much.

Razz
PrincessRazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Pankeleonn

Send a message via AIM to Pankeleonn
HEY WHORE talk to me something!

anyways,

I agree with razzy its kinda boring and too easy. Plus all the end game is, is realm vs realm pvp. I don't like pvp too much. I just want to kill shit with other people who want to kill shit that takes a long time to kill shit. I like saying kill shit
Old 01-20-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Nollid
Supporter

Myself and some friends played for a while. Too many changes took place in the guise of "balance". Initially it was possible to group and gain exp with low levels and high levels. That allowed some of us to work on trade skills (armor and weapons) to keep guilds outfitted proportionate to level. Patch came in and couldn't group anymore. Balance realm to realm has been changed at least 3 times. Some of the RVR servers have undergone cycles of players in each of the three realms to remain competitive resulting in 2 of the 3 realms having nearly no players.

Bottom line -- we're all back to playing EQ and console games.

Nollid
Nollid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
Kemora

Send a message via AIM to Kemora
DAoC is different then EQ, really...

I used to think of it as EQ done poorly, but once I got over that it wasn't really EQ.. I started to enjoy it more.

My advice to you is to try it out if you can afford to (and I'd recommend getting the expansion as well, from what I've seen the Shourded Isles areas are lot better designed then the old world stuff).. worst happens is you waste $50 bucks.

I suspect you'll get a slightly slanted series of opinions here, because.. for the most part most of us tried DAoC and went back to EQ (hence why we post here ). But lots of people went to DAoC and did never come back.. they just don't post here :P

EQ and DAoC are both pretty fun in thier own right imho... both do some things well, both have some issues.

AIM: Kemorakementari
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:37 AM   #7
Iwka
Supporter

most points were already brought up... but as for balance it's funny how they give these amazing bennies to one realm, and shaft mine (when I did play it was Midgard and all my friends play there on various servers).

Also, some classes are amazing PvE but make moose happy in RvR (Thanes). Bug exploits are more blatant and more noticeable because often it's happening on an RvR level, so not just so and so is benefitting for their character but also other players are feeling the stings of their exploits. I like the adaptability of your characters in the game. You can specialize in things... like if you had a spiritmaster you can go for soloing specialization, by upping your summoning line, or go for darkness, or suppression (my choice way back when) and so you can tailor your character to your play style.

Graphics are neat, not having ports is not... If you go link dead on a horse, well, you can walk when you get back. Long horse rides are I suppose ok tho, gives you a chance to go to the bathroom or do another section of your homework.

Have fun if you play, but don't beat yourself up if you don't.

And apropos shadowed isles... they made some interesting new races: Midgard got Valkyns (ugly carnivorous looking things), Albion got Innconu (freaky looking pale vampirelike), and Hibernia got the Sylvans (walking trees!!!) and some interesting classes (Necromancers look QUITE cool).

The game tho... needs to re-think what balancing is, and maybe also fix the random algorythm
Old 01-23-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
Awdd

Send a message via AIM to Awdd
you quit eq for daoc!? bleh.

Anyways, I quit eq for about a month when DAOC came out, leveled a cleric to 42ish. Got pretty boring since there was only one/two dungeons that I could decent xp in. I spent most of my time pharming realm points, eventually went back to eq because it was sooo boring. I think a friend told me they just released some sort of an expansion for it, not sure how that is, might want to check out their website. If you want to check it out I can let you have my access if it still works, might have to reactivate it though, last I knew Martigan played him a bit. Just email me at theawddone@Hotmail.com....even though I'd rather you kept playing EQ, would be glad to help ya out)
Eksel - Cleric - Emarr -> Firiona Vie
Awdd - Monk - Emarr
Banisher - Paladin - Emarr
Awdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
Azraelwrath

I played Daoc for a month after it came out. I had a 15 warrior and 8 armsman. I personally think the armor is pretty cool to look and the ability to dye your armor. Also not to mention the cloaks. The problem with Daoc I guess is the lack of people and no shouting command. I don't know how that makes it more roleplaying like but I think that most of the people in the game don't really roleplay.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:23 PM   #10
Iwka
Supporter

you quit eq for daoc!? bleh.
Quit both games for some time actually, and DAoC before EQ.

Anyhow, there's more rp on their rp servers than on EQ's FV babe.

EQ isn't for everyone, nor is DAoC... there are some aspects of both I like, like 1st person in EQ i'd prefer to 3rd person over shoulder in DAoC. autoloot split is good, and only the group that kill mobs can loot the drops (not the wait a few minutes you can pick it up stuff that can lead to probs in EQ).

Anyhow, it's late, and I have class in the morning.. ciao

Last edited by Iwka; 01-23-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Iwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #11
kanibaal
korpse

Default ...

EQ is alot bigger of a game then DAoC. The PvP/RvR in it gets old sooooo fast that i cant stand it. the PvP in DAoC has no purpose, Im sorry but relics/braggins rights arent a good enough reason. Back before i even played DAoC i said the same thing. Should have listened to myself. Also most of the people you run into seem to be 12 year old whiners/complainers. There is no danger factor in the game. You do whatever you want whenever you want cept a few things.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:16 AM   #12
Teyana

Send a message via Yahoo to Teyana
I've played DAoC, I found it quite boring, too easy and dropped it like a hot potato after only 3 weeks of playing.

Its also not only the stratics you need to worry about. The lag in DAoC is like the freakin bazaar on EQ, everywhere. I had to drop in a new video card and more ram in a brand new computer I had bought a month ago because the new expansion caused my game to crash (to desktop, everytime I tried to load it) until I did so, and I STILL lagged. No running through Camelot for me, lol.

I think my biggest pet peeves about the game were the "some_guy_over_there was killed by a mob_828938" spam, the armor decay and the 3rd person view.

It did have it's good points, though not many. The spec lines are an awesome idea to which one can set to their own playing style. The guilds have actual ranks and titles, which is cool. Being able to dye my armor purple like I wanted it rocked. Its really about what you are into that matters, EQ is good for certain types of players as well as DAoC draws a certain type.
Teyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:57 AM   #13
Halfa Ounze'O Rev

Default yo Gilg

Daoc or any other online RPG you ever play from here on out is going to remind of EQ that is nt important=P Daoc PvP isnt the only reason to play there are mobs to go against but it isnt as deep as EQ. It is improving, The game overall is fun and can be played by the powergamer/casual player with no difference but the powergamer gets 50 ina month the casual in 2. You can choose wether to PvP though which is actually really nice. And if they bring the Coop/PvP in frontiers only server i think it will even be a better game. Up to you im playing on a coop server now fooling around Gheyheris or something =P look me up aREVELia and Meeklo.

Revel
UI4L
Halfa Ounze'O Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #14
Vendrix
I Kick Ass For The Lord!

The problem with Daoc I guess is the lack of people and no shouting command.

Actually, I find the abundance of zone-wide chat channels to be one of the major things I loathe about Everquest. They’re especially annoying when two people selectively forget the /tell command and proceed to carry on a 10 minute conversation in /ooc(oh, and all your people that “woot” in public channels should die a fiery cataclysmic doom, thanks!).

I think my biggest pet peeves about the game were the "some_guy_over_there was killed by a mob_828938" spam…

You could filter that out just like others hits, etc.

The spec lines are an awesome idea to which one can set to their own playing style.

I liked the spec line idea as well, but as diverse as it seemed to make the characters there were usually only 2-3 viable ways to spend your spec points to get the maximum effect. For instance, as a Shadowblade I had the choice of being a Crit Blade(max crit skill, lots of stealth, rest poison), Shadowzerker(max axe/left axe and poison, some stealth) or 5-Spec(mid-40’s skill in everything). Anyone who did the slightest bit of research on the class would know he should adhere to one of those three options, else he was diluting the viability of his character in PvE/PvP settings.

The PvP in daoc was fun for a while, I even started playing again when they brought up the ‘Dred’ servers. Being able to kill anyone, anytime, sounded like a good idea to me. But, alas, I forgot about that small niche of tiny-penis-having-people who constantly felt the need to venture into towns like Ft. Alta and cut down lowbies like a hot knife through butter… then brag about their kill:death ratio on the boards like they were some kind of God.

There were also glaring class imbalances that were apparent from day 1 up until I quit, some classes were just broken beyond the realm of comprehension.

I still think Anarchy Online was the closest to pulling me away from EQ for any amount of time. The graphics in that game are phenomenal, lots of potential for diversity among players, tons of content(including spawned dungeons), etc. It just needs something… and it’s something I cant quite put my finger on.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:12 AM   #15
muzgash

DAOC seemed to lack the huge amount of content found in EQ. The PVP aspect is fun.... but as was stated certain classes where pretty gimped in PvP. Warriors come to mind.

2nd part of my para is deleted.... as I had Ashrons Call 2 in my beady head for what ever reason... doh.

Muzgash Warpig
Sarraak Tyranix

Last edited by muzgash; 01-24-2003 at 09:59 AM.
muzgash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:43 AM   #16
darue_ivywood

I still think Anarchy Online was the closest to pulling me away from EQ for any amount of time. The graphics in that game are phenomenal, lots of potential for diversity among players, tons of content(including spawned dungeons), etc. It just needs something… and it’s something I cant quite put my finger on.

Testing before release??!!?

sorry, just....couldnt....resist......

darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #17
kanibaal
korpse

Default ...

I was in AO beta, one of the first 500. gah it was funny how bad it was the first day i logged in. you couldnt kill a newbie mob and when you logged out your character stood around forever like a zombie. I would walk up to people and try to talk to them, then after standing around for awhile i figured it out. mobs also would run into a wall and just try to keep walking...so imagine like 100 mobs all in one spot tryin to push the wall down.

most games have bad releases, AO was just a very public one. ! month after tho it was pretty much fixed.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #18
Vendrix
I Kick Ass For The Lord!

Aye, I was in AO beta as well and it was probably the worst of the beta’s I’ve ever seen. The fact that we weren’t really testing the game they planned to release didn’t help (the grid wasn’t in beta, nor were cars or other vehicles). It also crashed more than any other game to hit the open market.

But, there was a certain appeal to a game where you could wield a steel girder or shoot something with a Chunkprojecter (1 round clip… of shit!). They also gave people an unheard of level of character customization (down to sunglasses and a pair of striped leather pants), trade skills that actually produced items of considerable worth, item linking, missions, etc… etc… etc…

Like I said, I think the game is pretty damn good it just needs “something” and I don’t know what it is.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:08 AM   #19
Giliane

Default Camelot

What I liked about Camelot was the /face and /stick commands. You start a fight, hit /stick and you stay in melee range of the mob when he moves. Also liked the journal that kept track of your quests for you also. I also liked the way buffs would stay on you until you zoned, died or the person who casted the buffs logged off. Just didnt like that the caster could only cast so many buffs at once.

Of course PvP got old real quick and there was only so many places you could go for grouping, and everyone and their brother was there. I also chose my class, Druid, based on the fact they were the primary healing class of Hibernia. I specced in healing only, couldnt solo a green, but still couldnt find a group since bards and wardens could heal, but do other abilities also. Oh well the life of a druid.

Ive been toying with the idea of giving Camelot a try again and reactivating my account. May give the lvl 6 runemaster I made some playtime.
Ishtanvu Healer Mordred DAoC
Giliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:00 AM   #20
Teyana

Send a message via Yahoo to Teyana
I may give DAoC another shot as well. I almost forgot one of my favorite things about it, less medding time!
Teyana is offline   Reply With Quote