Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
cnjmorris

Default One for Bush.

While its political suicide, Bush deserves credit for speaking out against the Michigan school system that was offering unfair advantages to minorities in enrollment procedures.

20 points out of a maximum 150 are awarded PURELY on color of skin. In comparison a PERFECT SAT score is worth 12 points, where a perfect admission essay is worth 1 point.

A score of 100 will generally get you accepted, meaning that admission is often made or broken on the basis of those 20 free points.

The US guarentess rights to EVERY ONE no matter of color or race. While society may not uphold those rights and may give preference the LAW must not fall into the same trap. Racism is racism. To have a bias is wrong, whether it discriminates, or gives preference.

Bush did what he thought was right. He had no oil interests or political interests benefited by this. In fact Democrats are already playing the race card and implying he is a racist. Good for him.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
Igota
Supporter

If that is all the facts behind this then my congratulations go out to him. Well done.
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Sarrin Kanth

Send a message via AIM to Sarrin Kanth
he did the right thing.
Sarrin Kanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #4
Tuan00Dorf

Yup the facts are simple and he did the right thing.

Wall Street Journal article below.

==========================

University of Michigan Policy
Is Unconstitutional, Bush Says

A WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE NEWS ROUNDUP

WASHINGTON -- President Bush, stepping into a major affirmative action case, asserted Wednesday that a program of racial preferences for minority applicants at the University of Michigan was "fundamentally flawed" and unconstitutional.

The program "amounts to a quota system that unfairly rewards or penalizes prospective students solely on their race," Mr. Bush said in announcing that his administration would file a legal brief in the case with the Supreme Court on Thursday. The legal brief would "narrowly apply'' to the Michigan program, a White House spokesman said.

The case in question has gone to the Supreme Court to test whether minority students can be given preference over white students in admission.

"I strongly support diversity of all kinds, including racial diversity in higher education," Mr. Bush said. But he added, "The method used by the University of Michigan to achieve this goal is fundamentally flawed."

He said that some students at the university are selected or rejected on the color of their skin. "The motivation for this administration policy may be very good, but the result is discrimination. And that discrimination is very wrong," Mr. Bush said.

Mr. Bush spoke Wednesday in the Roosevelt Room of the White House and declined to take questions.

In the past, Mr. Bush has said he supports what he calls "affirmative access" which he says is race neutral. As an example of this, the White House has pointed to the law instituted in Texas when Mr. Bush was governor that allowed the top 10% of students in all high school classes to go to the University of Texas system.

Mr. Bush's criticism of the University of Michigan admissions program follows another move that prompted criticism from Democrats and civil rights groups, his renomination last week of Mississippi judge Charles Pickering to a federal appeals court vacancy. Mr. Pickering, a friend of Trent Lott, was blocked last year by Senate Democrats who challenged his race-relations record.

White House officials and Republican leaders say they are working hard to reach out to blacks, whose support for Democrats in the past has been overwhelming, and to other minorities.

But the reaction by civil rights groups and Democrats to Mr. Bush's recent steps has been anything but affirmative.

"There may have been a change of face, but there has not been a change of heart," Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D., S.D.), told colleagues in a Senate speech. "There will be much more to say and do on the issue of racial reconciliation in the coming weeks. I hope to see more than just words from our Republican colleagues."

Justice Department and White House attorneys, acting on Mr. Bush's orders, were putting final touches on a legal brief challenging a program giving black and Hispanic students a preference when applying to the University of Michigan and its law school. The brief, expected to be filed with the Supreme Court on Thursday, will contend the program goes too far, administration officials said.

"The president believes that quotas and racial preferences do not serve to lift up our country and to help the average American," White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said on Wednesday. "Instead, they have a tendency to divide people."

Updated January 15, 2003 4:59 p.m. EST
Old 01-15-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
Sakkath

well there had to be a first time!
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I don't see why this is a surprise to you. From my vantage point, it's pretty consistent with his philosophies and other stances.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
cnjmorris

Default On this one...

I just want to say that while some people STILL think party politics are more important than progress I have to say that I am impressed that some people are agreeing with what Bush did, realizing that doesn't mean they have to agree with every thing he does.

I have to admit that when I posted this I wondered if people were going to still be unsuportive and be negative. I am glad to see that some people can see good no matter what the source.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote