Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2003, 09:33 AM   #1
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
Default My UI Problem - Screenshots

http://www.niasaenvalrim.com/files/uipics.html

The next is not this readable in game. For some reasons, the lines behind the text seem faded after the screenshot (even before compression.

This page is about 180k total.
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
Davek
Squawk Box

Hmmm, can't say I've seen the likes of this before except on mainframe dummy terminals gone bad

What video card are you using? Of course I'll assume you tried the latest drivers for it? How about some older drivers for it?

Also, I think you mentioned something about using a laptop? HW Specs and OS?

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Cleron 700mhz
192MB RAM
4MB Ati card (tried 2 sets of older drivers as well as current drivers)
Windows ME
DX8

Yes, the card is outdated. Yes, it ran even PoP fine in old UI.

And also, from th answers I got on the EQ baords, this problem is not isolated to any kidn fo card. It's random and affects GeForce users as much as ATI users from what I have seen...
Old 01-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #4
Jubei

I dont think the card is outdated so much as your entire system. If you pay the postage I will mail you my old (either 16 or 32 I forgot) voodoo card. I think I even have some old PC100 SDRam chips laying around....
Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Davek
Squawk Box

Ouch, you're lucky you get as far as you do!

I gave up on trying to play at my friends place which is a comparable system (160 Megs and 8 meg ATI video card).

Even turning everything down to minimum it would run out of memory and exit after char select...this was right after Luclin release before the New UI was even being played with.

The 4 meg video card would be your likely suspect though.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
Afferon

Send a message via ICQ to Afferon
Try changing your default windows font. I had a problem with mine and that fixed it.
Afferon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:59 PM   #7
Sakkath

Yes, problem is with video card. I was going to say you have bad drivers, or video memory hardware fault...but when I saw only 4MB, I'm suprised you can run EQ at all with that. The lack of video card memory (and I'm sure the GPU) is the problem.

I don't think you will be able to do anything to adequately run EQ on that hardware setup (esp GFX card).
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Sakkatk? You sure? I HAVE been running EQ adquetly. It's just the fonts in the new UI that are mesed up.

Also, this problem (as stated in every prior post I made) is not isolated to any one card or brand of cards. It ranges from msot ATI cards to Geforce 1, 2, 3, and 4, MX and TI. It's affecting a small percentage of users with apparently no common hardware configurations.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Gonada

Send a message via ICQ to Gonada
get a new card. . most places will happily refund your money for hardware if you bring it back within a day, my bet also is on the vid card.

Its either the card or the drivers, so you have nothing to loose i think by tryin that.
Gonada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:14 AM   #10
euge

ow my eyes hurt.
euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:16 AM   #11
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Originally posted by Gonada
get a new card. . most places will happily refund your money for hardware if you bring it back within a day, my bet also is on the vid card.

Its either the card or the drivers, so you have nothing to loose i think by tryin that.
Please read the post, not the title, before commenting.

As stated in every other post I've made, this problem is affecting random people, and it seems to affect most ATI cards as well as the GeForce line (1, 2, 3, and even 4, MX and TI). Only cards I have not ehard complaints on so far are the 3Dfx chipsets.

The problem is not specifically the card.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:20 AM   #12
Mahtan

I've had that happen myself, but only in the player names above peoples heads. It's not there now though.
Mahtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:19 AM   #13
Adom Wraithbane

Default What I think.

I think it is a graphics problem. Not the card itself but how your computer is displaying it. This would leave me to beleave your monitor is displaying the game in a lower resolution causing your fonts to cruch together. This usually happens when Fonts are larger than required.

Suggestions:

1. While in game, bring up your option settings window. Under the display tab, is the button to change your view size. I don't know which size your using now, but from your picture I have determined it looks to be 256 color, in a 640x480 mode. If your card is capable of going higher color or resolution it will allow you to do so here. Option 1: Raise your color to 16bit or High depending on your type of system, save or change, exit options menu. Did this make it worse, better, no change? (Do option 1 first. If no change or worse go to option 2.) Option 2: Change only your resolution size. 640x480 to 800x600 or higher. This will bring your font size to a comparible size in comparison to your display.

After you change each of these values (color and resolution) once, try each in their combinations. As example...Go from 256 color to 16bit then increase your resolution to 800x600 if no change increase only your resolution again to the next highest value. During the process if you see any progress of getting better be sure to stop and use what you got.

These setting changes do not change what your current window settings are only what the game will try to use. If suggestion one does not work, try suggestion 2.

2. While the game is not running, bring up your control panel, display settings. Go to the far right tab where it lets you
Adom Wraithbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:35 AM   #14
Adom Wraithbane

Default to continue

Suggestions:

2. While no programs are running, right click on your desktop. Go to Active Desktop, Customize My Desktop then click on Settings tab. Under Colors, it will say what your current setting is. Does it match what EQ is using? Under Screen Area, it will show what your current resolution is. Does this match what EQ is using? What you can do here is basically what you did while you were in EQ. Increase each one individually and log into EQ. It will be time consuming logging in and out. I would start out with 16bit (high) or if capable 24bit (true) and finally 32bit if your machine is capable.

If your highest possible color and resolution is 256 640x480 there is a driver problem when windows boots up. When windows boots up without any driver associated with a video card, it automatically loads a default set just so the user can be able to change settings once system is up. You will have to download and install new drivers for your card get them working, install directx8 again and try the game again.

If these things do not work, do not give up. Post here cause I still might have 1 or 2 other things you can try.

I will monitor your progress here. Good Luck!

Adom
Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 AM   #15
Gonada

Please read the post, not the title, before commenting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
um Medion, Was just a helpful suggestion , Ive done exactly what I typed in the past , dont have to be a snide jerk about it.

Not my fault you have a suckass system, and are too stupid to know what to do or come up with any ideas on your own and have to resort to askin on the board.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:55 AM   #16
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Now you've done it Gonada. Here comes the people who can't afford new $100 hardware, coming to ram those words up your rear end like they did with people on the PoP thread.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:51 AM   #17
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Adom - Here's what I tried so far:

Game:
Resolutions - 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768
Color depths - 16/32-bit in both lower resolutions, 16-bit only in 1024.

Display Setings:
I have my set to use 800x600/32-bit. I tried all the settings above in EQ while leaving this setting alone. Then, I tried again while matching the settins. The result was no difference.

I did get another lucky login at one time, so logged out and back in to see if the problem had actually been fixed. Turned out the problem was still there

Gonada - The stupid person would go out and buy new hardware befor troubleshooting his current hardware. I'm sorry that you happen to be one of these stupid people. My advice for you: Stay inside as much as possible, you're less likely to hurt youself.

Zelgadis - I only posted that way towards Gonada because he only offered the same answer I've heard before. Unfortunately,. this problem is NOT the video card itself. I will upgrade if needed, but not until I've first exhausted every troubleshooting step I can try. I'd rather fix the problemf or free than fix it for any amount of money.

My next step may be to try a new UI skin that just came out. It mimics th old UI supposedly.

Also, Adom, is there any other infom from my comp that you may find useful?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:48 PM   #18
Speedi

Send a message via ICQ to Speedi
Have you tried running diff resolutions ... maybe since that new patch ... might have to run smaller resolution ... worth a try

a.k.a.

-Speedi
www.clanx-d.com
Speedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:00 PM   #19
Lilliah

Originally posted by Medion Palemoon
My next step may be to try a new UI skin that just came out. It mimics th old UI supposedly.
mind if i bum a link? i don't use custom UIs on my computer cause i never could get them to work/dl properly, but hubby has a lot more patience than i do.

btw, his text looks exactly like that and we've tried all the said things except changing the default font. thats next.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:46 PM   #20
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Originally posted by Speedi
Have you tried running diff resolutions ... maybe since that new patch ... might have to run smaller resolution ... worth a try
GRRRRR....here, I'll past my last post in this thread.

"Adom - Here's what I tried so far:

Game:
Resolutions - 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768
Color depths - 16/32-bit in both lower resolutions, 16-bit only in 1024."

While i'm not certain, you may find some into in there about different resolutions...POSSIBLY, but I cannot guarantee....good luck on your search...

Lilliah - I'll dig up the link next chance I get, and post it for you.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:05 PM   #21
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
I never said $100 hardware was cheap in my opinion =o That's like 1/3 of the maximum amount of paycheck I can get per every biweek.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:25 AM   #22
Adom Wraithbane

Default mini solutions

Go to your local computer stores like Comp City, Best Buy, Comp USA or whatever you have in your area. Tell them your looking for a 3d blaster Voodoo2 1000. This is not a replacement of your current video card, its only a 3d graphics booster that will offer an additional 12 megs of ram. It costs about 10 dollars if you can find them for sale any more. If you find 2 and have the extra slots available get them you can marry them off each other. One will connect your current video card to the new card then the new card to another new card, if you got 2, and then into your monitor.

I used to play EQ with a P200 4mg card and had 1 of these to boost performance. I payed 120 dollars for mine at the time. Was top of the line 3 years or so ago. Think if you boosted your graphical memory you would be in better shape. This is the cheapest way to do that. At the time I had this system, my computer was outperforming the GateWay P400 with top of the line equipment at that time. My friend was always mad cause he spent so much on his comp and mine was older and out performing his.

If you go to Creative Labs website and search for drivers for video cards, they still have this card listed. You should be able to find it somewhere. I seen it not to long ago in a Babbages.

At this point, the changing res and pix did not fix the problem then I would look for a solution in the game itself. Like changing the font size in the eq ini file.

Did it worked prior to patch or did it just get worse after or is it the same w or w/o patch.

If it has worked in the past, then maybe theres some kind of configuration the game saved and keeps trying to use each time it trys to run the game. I don't know if you have tried uninstalling all of EQ and installing again. If you have or have not, be sure to delete the "Programs/Everquest/" folder as well. Everything that you change, that EQ changes, and any patch file that was downloaded to your computer does not get erased when you uninstall. Might want to do this as a possible solution. Uninstall game, delete the Everquest Folder that EQ was installed in, and then install EQ again.

Hope this helps you.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:20 AM   #23
Gonada

lol
Old 01-13-2003, 07:50 AM   #24
Vetus

Default Question

Medion,

Quick question. Have you tried formating your system and re-loading windows, the drivers, DX8 and EQ? Just thinking that maybe if it is not related to any one video card, or any one set of hardware that maybe it is a windows/Dx8/ driver/ EQ file that has become corrupted and is causing the problems... (my speculation would be on Dx8 or windows files becoming corrupted.

If you've tried that I would take up some of the offers above for old hardware from people and see what you can work out.

As a general rule of thumb I format and re-install everything on my gaming system once every 6 months or so -- if you haven't done it in a long time I would recomend it. Of course I usually upgrade hardware at that time too.. but still it speeds my system up and keeps it nice and fresh.

Anyway just thought I'd offer that as some advice. Let me know if that does anything for ya.

GL

Vetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:01 AM   #25
Vetus

Default one more thing

Hey, just wanted to add that what I am talking about is starting from scratch... just "re-installing" a driver, dx8 or windows will not always repair/replace the possibly damaged or corrupted file.

Vetus is offline   Reply With Quote