Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
Sinsai Silentfists

Default Jackie Chan - Bruce Lee

Does anyone know the specific type of martial arts that each fought with. (i know they did multiple types of martial arts, but the base, main one). Thanks for the help
Old 09-16-2002, 10:50 PM   #2
Warren Maguson Emarr

Both being Chinese, they learned 'Kung Fu' of which there are now many many different schools as there are teachers of the art.

Bruce Lee if memory serves, first studied and mastered I believe Wing Chun Kung Fu. He eventually developed his own Martial Arts style called Jeet Kune Do after deciding that Martial Arts styles were too limiting and rigid. His own style advocated using those techniques you were good at and capitalizing on those strengths.

Jackie Chan learned Kung Fu as well. According to the information I've absorbed it was several Shaolin styles among them, the Dragon, Crane and Snake. He also has studied several other styles such as Hapkido, Karate, Wing Chun, Boxing to name a few.

Hope that helps yeh.

Warren
Old 09-16-2002, 10:53 PM   #3
Sinsai Silentfists

Default cool

thanks for the info, im going to start a martial art and those 2 are the ones that i think are great fighters....i would love to learn there fighting style just because they make it look good. (by the way i know i wont ever get as good as them ). Thanks for the info !
Old 09-16-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
Hoppkins

Default kung phoo

Both Jackie and Bruce practiced Praying Mantis Kung Fu (northern style) at some point. Bruce practiced Wing Chun for sure under the Grandmaster before he died (yip man)

Jackie did hung gar also i belive, Tai Shing Pek Kwar for a time, actually he did a bit of everything.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:57 AM   #5
Martigan

Darn! I thought this was going to be a "who would win between..." post.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:16 AM   #6
cnjmorris

Me too Martigan, and my response was going to be... Jackie Chan would laugh if you even put him in the same sentence as Bruce Lee.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:30 AM   #7
CeruleanRuneguard

Chan has always considered himself more of an acrobat than a martial artist... most of the skills he's known for actually come from his days of being in a Chinese theater troupe - the extreme flexibility, speed and gymnastics.

Ceru
Old 09-17-2002, 08:27 AM   #8
Arnwolf Magnuson

Don't forget Jet Li...4 times Chinese National Wushu Champion...as a Teenager.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:31 AM   #9
Kamakasi Battlemaster

Default Bruce Lee

Bruce would inhale JC. To even think that Jackie could come close to Bruce Lee's degree of the martial arts is a joke. Comeon people.....

Kama
:rollin:
Old 09-17-2002, 10:26 AM   #10
kanewilliam

Default no way

Jackie Chan would win.. no contest.

Dead people can't fight.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #11
Alethia or Celoria

Default Classes

Here in Dallas there are, or were 4 years ago when I went for a single class to try it out, classes held teaching Jeet Kun Do, Bruce's style (for those in the area who want to check them out they were held at the fitness center on the NW corner of Greenville and Rosemeade second floor just past the club district on Greenville and listed in the phone book as well). It was a VERY nice class and pretty intense (my legs were hurting bad the next day). I know there are many places throughout the US as well that teach this style so if your interested in learning it seek one out in your area.

G'luck on finding a style to suit you.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:41 PM   #12
xzilled angel

Default Re: Classes

in a full warehouse full of ladder chairs saws and anyother crap hanging around I would give the fight to jackie.

anywhere else BRUCE > JACKIE
Old 09-17-2002, 09:29 PM   #13
Saraquael

Jackie Chan was in Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee. He was one of the henchmen. He ran up behind Bruce and grabbed him. Then Bruce I believed knocked him off and broke his neck. heh

Bruce Lee leans more towards the martial aspect in that his goal is to incapacitate the opponent. He's had training in such, and his Jeet Kun Do pretty much revolves around that. The essence of Jeet Kun Do is pretty much that there is no real style to it... no katas, etc.

Jackie Chan is more of a performer. He learned most of his stuff from performances in the Chinese Operas that he was a member of. Thus, he leans more towards the art aspect of martial arts. He's said many times that he doesn't believe in violence and is a peace loving person.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #14
Arnwolf Magnuson

Alright...here's the rest of my two cents.

Jackie Chan - Best Entertainer, most acrobatic

Bruce Lee - Deadliest, most accomplished fighter

Jet Li - Best Martial Artist, emphasis on Artist

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 09-17-2002, 09:52 PM   #15
Saraquael

Oh yeah, Jet Li's awesome.

I personally like some of his older hong kong stuff better than the stuff here so far for the most part. Once Upon a Time in China is especially good. Personal opinion.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:07 PM   #16
kanewilliam

Default jetli

Legend 1&2..

woot
Old 09-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #17
mogzz

Default chan

chan was knocked 15 feet through one of those paper doors by bruce lee in fist of fury[the chinese connection in usa] more obscure hong kong movies. the trick was performed by chan when no one else would volunteer. he was dragged by a cable and blacked out when he hit the ground. when he came to lee was standing over him and helped him up. -i am jackie chan: my life in action (1998 ballantine books)

i recomend this book (if you can find it) for chan fans as well as anyone interested in early hong kong fight cinema.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:51 PM   #18
SteeleBlayde

Default Re: chan

Jackie Chan has some knowledge of the martial arts but hes a stunt man, not a martial artist. Bruce Lee, is what you can call a martial artist master. Therefore, if you're talking about who could beat who, then Bruce Lee would wipe the floor with Jackie Chan.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:50 PM   #19
Arnwolf Magnuson

Who's the Master?!?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:32 PM   #20
Saraquael

Shonuff
Old 09-19-2002, 12:34 AM   #21
patric

Default .

From all the books and things I've come to learn, Bruce was more of a philosopher and artist rather than a fighter. Not to say he cant fight, but im sure there are guys alot better at actual real fighting, not the stuff you see in movies.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:29 AM   #22
Araya LeBon

Default Re: .

"From all the books and things I've come to learn, Bruce was more of a philosopher and artist rather than a fighter"

Hehe. That is SO wrong. Bruce Lee was a street thug before he came to the US, and fought constantly even after his film career was well underway. He was constantly challenged by people who thought he was "fake, etc". He accepted all the challenges and put quite a few people in the hospital.

Read the book: "The Most Dangerous Man in the World"

I forget the author's name but the book was basically saying: "Bruce Lee should never be a role model because he did this, this, and that, etc."

He was NOT a nice guy though, even in interviews with his own family he is painted as a very abusive and volatile person.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:51 AM   #23
Hoppkins

The most dangerous man in the world was Ken Shamrock right?

Isnt it true that good old Lung (Bruce) broke his back weight lifting, rather than that awe inspiring "defending the honour" cliche on his movie biography?
Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 AM   #24
Kerryn Darkwater

He never actually broke his back. He damaged his sacral nerve whilst weight-lifting and was told he would never jump or kick again. Apparantly the nerve had been overstretched during an excercise. You can actually read the whole truth on this one in his book "The Tao of Jeet Kun Do" which he wrote in hospital.

Obviously they didn't feel this was entertaining enough for his biography.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:39 AM   #25
Hoppkins

Aye I thought as much. Prehaps not as entertaining but a little more accurate than that cruddy scene in the stereotypical chinese underground cavern lol...

Speaking of caverns "Project A" has the best cavern fight where jackie and samo kick the crap out of about 50 chinese pirates