Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #1
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
Default An abrupt end...

"** Demise of the Classic/Velious Interface **

Over the last six months we have been keeping the Classic EverQuest interface as well as the Velious interface working through all of the features that we have added (built-in MP3 player, item links, compass, enhanced /bug reporting tool, and others). However, with the release of some of the new features in this patch, such as running EQ in a window, we must now say goodbye to the older interfaces. They have been disabled as of today.

They served us well."

Due to this, I will no longer be able to play EQ. Also, I have more important things to worry about, like a new car and paying off an existing loan, than to buy a new PC for the sole purpose of playing EQ.

My PC does everything else I need it to. Ever since the new UI came out, I've trolled the dev forums, giving screenshots, insights, and everything else I could. There were quite a few others who had the same problem. I couldn't see a patern. It happened on ATI cards, Nvidia cards, all versions of Windows, every hardware configuration...there were no isloating factiors.

Well, this went largely ignored by VI/Sony. As such, I've ended my billing today. I expect my account to terminate around the 22nd or so. Until then, I'll be online gathering screenshots and such to send to Sony one last time.

Take care all, and knowing me, I'll be back if this issue is reslolved before World of Warcraft comes out
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:42 AM   #2
Sakkath

They announced this would happen with todays patch some time back.
You don't say exactly what your problem is?
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:53 AM   #3
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

I knew it was coming in an upcommign patch, but I never saw them specify which patch.

And why should I detail the problem yet again? I have flooded Sony's boards with it, and even posted details and screenshots here about it when the new UI came out (ok, by here, I mean our old forum).

I'm going to log in today if it will let me, and get a fresh batch of screenshots. I'll post them here later for you to see.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:23 AM   #4
Sakkath

And why should I detail the problem yet again? I have flooded Sony's boards with it, and even posted details and screenshots here about it when the new UI came out (ok, by here, I mean our old forum).
Because maybe myself or someone else might have given you a pointer or two. Why whine about a problem if you don't detail it? You've got to help yourself if you want others to

Sakkath
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:26 AM   #5
kalrie
Priestess of Pie

Send a message via AIM to kalrie Send a message via Yahoo to kalrie
Sorry for your troubles, but if I ever saw a post of about the new UI giving people fits (or a specific kind of issue) I've blocked it out. Apparently so have a few other people. If you wouldn't mind sharing/bumping/copying what your issue is, perhaps some people here could aid in the narrowing down of the problem. I mean, are we talking strictly unplayable horrible graphic lag bad? or just really annoying bad?

Or we can all wave goodbye to you and wait for Sony to fix it.
heads we win, tails we try again
kalrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:41 AM   #6
Guntak

VI took mah pally
Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 AM   #7
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

http://pub4.ezboard.com/femarrgenera...ID=10529.topic

That is a link to one of the topics. It doesn't have a link to the screenshot though (and the screenshot is no longer stored on that server, so I'll have to get fresh ones anyway).

I never replied, but every hint offered in that thread, I've tried. It's a random occurence in terms of the degree of the text.

On a couple very rare occasions, it was great. /M/o/s/t/ /o/f/ /t/h/e/ /t/i/m/e/ /i/t/ /l/o/o/k/s/ /l/i/k/e/ /t/h/i/s/ /o/r/ /w/o/r/s/e/./ Just not quite that readable.

Anyway, when I get the screenshots up again tonight, you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:49 AM   #8
Davek
Squawk Box

Hmmm...this may or may not help.

What resolution and color depth are you running windows in?

What resolution and color depth are you running EQ in(check your INI for the bitsperpixel line (or something like that))?

It helps to run both in the same resolution and color depth values. Windows should be running at a minimum of True Color 32 Bits.

Are you using Texture Caching? If so, nuke all of your .txc files in your EQ directory.

Do you have a link to the SOE/EQ Tech boards where you posted? Wouldn't mind seeing your DX info and such from there.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:00 AM   #9
TipaDaKnife

I have seen something similar happen on other programs, usually when text is sent as two bytes (like Unicode) when the system is expecting one byte (like ASCII). You might want to make sure your language settings (wherever those might be) are consistent.
Kanda, 60 Troll Priestess, Kirin Tor, WoW
Dina Tanglewood, 53 Troubador, Befallen, EQ2
Dera Tanglewood, 47 Inquisitor, Befallen, EQ2
TipaDaKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #10
Wenjii

Don't give up Medion! We would miss you tons.

Wenjii
Wenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #11
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Hate to say this, but they told everyone who wanted to play EQ still to upgrade their computers a year and about a half ago with the announcements of the Luclin expansion. If you could go through Luclin and PoP all this time then you should be able to play EQ in a window with the new UI. Besides, the new UI is supah stylish!

<3 Mavarien's UI.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #12
Kullom Faithforge

/salute Medion

I'm really sorry to see you go, my friend. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon, and we'll have you back online. Until then, you'll be missed my friend. Take care of yourself always, and keep in touch.

/wave Medion
Kullom Faithforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #13
Lilliah

Originally posted by Davek
Hmmm...this may or may not help.

What resolution and color depth are you running windows in?

What resolution and color depth are you running EQ in(check your INI for the bitsperpixel line (or something like that))?

It helps to run both in the same resolution and color depth values. Windows should be running at a minimum of True Color 32 Bits.
ooooh! hubby has the exact same problem with the text on his computer when running new UI.. the text is blocky (he's found if you change the font size to at least 4, it clears it up considerably, sometimes he can run chatfontsize 3, for a long time he had to use 5.. :/) he can't use the fading window option, etc. i have his INI file pulled up and his video mode reads as follows :

[VIDEO MODE]
Width=800
Height=600
RefreshRate=0
BitsPerPixel=16

in his display properties, he's running 32 bit colour and 1024x786.. should i change the bitsperpixel to 32? or...?

i don't want to mess it up, but i feel guilty sitting here with a nice clear screen while he suffers without complaint happy to even being able to play together.

someone told us before to turn the anti-aliasing (sp) in the videocard properties? and i think he finally found it and it was turned off (or on, whichever the person told us to check off it was already done that way, so that didn't fix the problem).

we appreciate any help you may can give us davek :>
Old 01-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #14
Lilliah

oh and i apologise for taking over your thread medion, maybe we can both get this problem fixed and you can continue playing! :>
Old 01-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #15
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

No prob with taking over the thread I've talked to a LOT of people who had had this problem. Here are some tips that seem to work for a minority, but at least this gives you some sort of a chance.

Adjust your chatfontsize and chatfontspacing. For some, this helps clear it up a little, but no guarantee.

Turn off AA if it is on. If it's off, no harm in toggling it on I guess. Haven't really seen this work.

Delete everyting in your global directiory. This will force your patcher to re-download the new UI. Only found a few people this worked for, but hey, if it has a chance of working

Also, could you please tell me the basic system specs he is running, mainly video card?
Old 01-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #16
Davek
Squawk Box

BitsPerPixel=16

Yes, definately change that to a 32! Should have been done way back when you had to upgrade to DX 8.1

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:31 AM   #17
Davek
Squawk Box

Another tip,

Try renaming the eqclient.ini for backup purposes and let EQ rebuild a fresh one to work with and see how that works out.

Old 01-09-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
Lilliah

Originally posted by Davek
Yes, definately change that to a 32! Should have been done way back when you had to upgrade to DX 8.1
alright! did that.. i checked mine and mine was set to 32, trying to log him in now.. time will tell :> i appreciate both your help, we'll see if this works for now and if it doesn't i'll have him post all the computer info, i always somehow get it wrong. :x
Old 01-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #19
Davek
Squawk Box

RefreshRate=0
Ok at home now and looking at this. This doesn't look right either. Try setting it to 60(which is normal default).

Old 01-10-2003, 02:46 AM   #20
Nyerot

No offense.. but what are you using a Pentium 75 and 2 meg video card? hehe. The above suggestions are good.

Not sure what sort of lag issues you are having on top of the graphics glyches.. any?

Have you tried using the /viewport command to make the vieable window smaller or tried lowering the resolution?

If you were able to step foot into luclin using the old UI, there honestly isn't any reason you couldn't use the new one... but bugs is bugs I guess.
Nyerot Wollefgnol
53 Bard

Last edited by Nyerot; 01-10-2003 at 02:49 AM.
Nyerot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #21
Lilliah

funny, last night when i changed the bitperpixel to 32, and started logging in i was getting that game crash bug. changed it back to 16 and i could log in. and i went back to show hubby and it was 0. /shrug at least he could log in

i'm going to change it back to 32 and put the refresh rate to 60 and see what happens.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:10 PM   #22
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Well, between the help offered here, and the outpour on my private guild forum, we were able to minimize (not fix) the problem...

Not really sure on waht step worked since I tried numerous things. But it brought about a new problem, running that UI on my Craptop. It's slow, cumbersome, and just will not work.

Between my guildmates offering to put together a comp for me (I refused, can't accept a handout), and my roomate wanting a laptop for when he goes afloat next month, I buckled.

I forked over $1400 for a new PC...made much easier when my roomate is paying a huge chunk of it buying my laptop.

For anyone else STILL having this problem, here are the steps I took to reduce the problem. NOTE: It did not fix the problem, just made the text more readable.

1)last few lines of your INI file. Make sure the refresh rate is at 60 (or better, but start with 60), and your bitsperpixel is the same as your desktop color depth. I recommend 16 if you have a slower comp, but 32 is better (even my craptop ran EQ in 32).

2)Delete your UI files and re-download them.

3)Play with your font size and spacing, making them larger. The liens don't seem to enlarge, do they get in the way less.

4)Make sure AA is off.

5)Prayer - This problem does not seem to be isolated to any brand or specific card. I've seen it on GeForce 2s, 3s, 4s, ATIs of all flavors, Intel cards. I haven't heard of it on any Voodoo brand cards (and I know people use them). Given EQ originally ran in Glide and DX, perhaps this is a DX issue?

Given the fact that I can't seem to isolate to any specific cards/configurations, and that these steps have mixed results for people, I'd just chalk it up to sloppy coding on VI/Sony's part (nah, couldn't be! VI not testing something!? Looks like their Atlas book wasn't the only thing they didn't have an editor look at, heh).

I will say this...if I have this problem on my new PC...I'll flip. This sucker could easily run multiple instances of EQ...
Old 01-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #23
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

I stand corrected, it didn't work. Was just a lucky login. Well, got some screenshots from this login, they will be posted up tomorrow during a break. I'm gonna hit the hay for tonight, but will edit this post tomorrow with a link.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:45 AM   #24
Frekkels

Default Medion's not so abrupt ending after all :)

Hail,

Welcome back.

Take care,
Frekkels
Frekkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:45 PM   #25
Dwarkarn

Technology marches on, while it marches it treads on computers with lower system specs. It is inevitable that some older configurations will go by the wayside, it is not the developers fault for doing this, if the developers didnt up system requirements then EQ would be the same today as it was 4 years ago.

One thing I cant stand is someone who whines when their computer cant keep up with the technology march.

That being said, I hope you do fix your problem up and get back into the game.