Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2003, 01:46 AM   #1
Diwahabulin

Default Me again LF any military that plays EQ on Okinawa

Hello all.

As you can tell I have had CPU problems since this move to Oki.

The main problem is with the ISP I have now.

Background is that Okinawa use to be monopolized on Base by Konnect 56k dial up limiting you to either 90hr or 120hr per month for 20 something dollars.

Being lucky, or so it seems, I got Base housing on a base (Camp Courtney) that is able to get a higher speed unlimited connection.

It is called Satallite Internet and like cable you are always connected.

The regular downloads and internet is fine (downloads at about 40kb/sec so not too bad).

I wanted this internet because it is unlimited and is way faster than dial up.

But I have now come to find out some problems I am having. Basically EQ needs certain ports opened during play (something like 1024-some big number off the top of my head).

My problem, to what I can tell, is my ISP for SOME REASON has these ports closed causing me to go LD within 10-20 mins of logon.

I have called the tech and he has been gaffing me off. Well before I snap on him tomorrow I wanted to see if anyone here is in Okinawa.

It seems to me from my talk with the tech that turning those ports on isnt a hard job but he made it seem like some HUGE security breech if he opened them.

MY GOD i have had internet in Hawaii, TX, NY, CA and this is the first ISP to EVER have these ports closed.

So does anyone have satallite internet in okinawa and know how to fix this problem. I happen to get my internet through FADTEC although another company is called MicroPlus.

Thanks in advance for your help.

S/F,

Diwahabulin

Last edited by Diwahabulin; 01-08-2003 at 01:49 AM.
Diwahabulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:11 AM   #2
Naos
Ontological Hazard

Ports 0-1024 are reserved for standard Internet protocols. Ports above that range are for applications to use.

EverQuest uses port 5999 to connect with the chat/login server -- VI use to use a set UDP port range in the 7000s for EQ, however they changed it so it is random eachtime you play.

If all ports above 1024 were closed, you wouldn't be able to play at all... muchless login to EQ. Also if that were the case, about the only things you would be able to do online are WWW, FTP, Telnet, Email (POP, SMTP), etc--the basics. If you are able to use other applications, such as IRC, ICQ, AOL IM, Kazaa, etc--whatever uses ports above the 1024 range, I really doubt you are being firewalled out.

Satallite connections are known to be bad for online gaming due to the fact that they have a very fast download rate, however the upload speed is around that of a 56K modem (or at least it was lasttime I checked, maybe the technology has changed).

What is your datarate.txt set to? If it's above 5.0 (modem speed), chances are that is why you are going LD. Try setting it to 5.0 or lower and see if that helps.
Naos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:44 AM   #3
Dunwut DaMojoOgre

Satellite is awful for online gaming. There is a good deal of latency, especially on upload traffic, inherent to satellite internet. Frankly I'm surprised you're able to play for 20 mins.

Like Naos said if the ports were blocked you wouldn't be able to play at all. When you connect to the server it establishes a connection via a high numbered port and communicates via that port for the durartion of that session. If said port was blocked you wouldn't be able to connect to the server at all.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #4
Diwahabulin

Ok let me see if I understand these ports.

From my understanding.

EQ uses all these ports as "doors" to upload/dl info from your cpu to play a game. EQ uses them randomly as you play?

Then to me this means that say myself is a packet of info running back and forth from my cpu to eq. I have 5000 doors in front of me. Only 1046 of those doors happen to be open. Now I might get lucky for a while and pass through the open ones, but because eq uses them at random and not a set door eventually I will hit a door.

Would hitting a closed port cause me to go ld.

I see people saying Satllite upload is as bad as 56k but my ld times have varied from 5 mins to even 40 mins. I have also set my datarate at every possible setting from 1.0 to 9.0 doesnt seem to affect anything.

Even if satallite upload is as bad as 56k, 56k doesnt go ld?

Guess what I am asking is if some of the ports are closed and eq uses them at random wouldnt that be causing me to go ld once a closed port is reached?

And if the upload rate is a problem is there anyway to tweak it?

Also if I have to resort to getting 56k just to play EQ i do not want a 2nd phone line. We do not have voice mail here in okinawa. Is there a free program that can tell me when I get a phone call or anything like that.

THanks for all the help its greatly appreciated.

Diwahabulin
Diwahabulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Dunwut DaMojoOgre

Think of them more like tunnels. You have all these tunnel entrances available. When you boot eq it picks a "tunnel" for you to use. Now as long as you are logged in during that session you are using that one and only tunnel. When you log off and log on again later it goes through the process again. It might pick the same tunnel and it might not.

Latency on satellite connnections is caused due to the vast distances satellite signals travel. When you transmit you transmit up to a satellite which in turn relays it to their ground station and vice versa for receiving. This increases the delay in which you get answering packets from a site. For web browsing and such this delay is not a big deal. In online gaming it is because the program expects an answer in a much shorter time. If it doesnt get it it stops looking for it and the program willl eventually get so confused it stops running or you fall out of sync with the rest of the game world. The latter is what I would suspect is your problem.

For EQ between satellite and dialup you are much better off with dialup.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #6
kanibaal
korpse

Default ...

700ms is the base latency for satellite, can go higher. not good for gaming.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote