Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
cnjmorris

Default D to C and vice versa

Okay, I had windows XP running on a 40GB hard drive. I bought an 80gb drive and wanted more than a simple copy drive. I wanted to clean the system out of unused crap.

I installed XP on the second drive and it boots fine. I, installed Microsoft Visual Studio .Net (which is a royal pain let me tell you). The Studio .Net has nothing to do with this, just wanted some sympathy from anyone who has installed it.

Now when I try to install Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver it is running into errors because it is defaulting to the C: drive for some instalation files, and D: drive for others.

In any event, what I would like to do is to make my D: drive the C: drive and vice versa. I intend to format the old 40gb and use it as storage space.

Can I do this (are there any boot files or anything on original drive that the new drive needs to run?)

If I can do this, how?

I turned off pc, switched the order of the drives on the cable and rebooted. They are still seen as the same drive letter they held.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Arnwolf Magnuson

Win xp?

Right click on My Computer, Left click on Manage.

In the computer management folders on the left, expand the storage menu (click the + sign to see subfolders).

Left click on Disk Management. On the right hand side your different hard drives and partitions will appear. If you right click the listed partitions (right click the drive letter), you can select Change Drive Letters and Paths from the menu.

You should be able to tackle just about anything you want from there. Also, the help files for Computer Management and Storage Management are fairly decent.

Lemme know if you have any more questions...

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 09-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #3
cnjmorris

I tried that but I got "Windows can not modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume."

Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
Arnwolf Magnuson

Hmm...not sure if this will work. But change the current D: drive to an E: drive.

Then change your boot order and boot to the E: drive, then change your C: to a D:...repeat and change your E: to a C:

That may not come even remotely close to working though...I kind of pulled it out of my ass.

Arnwolf
Old 09-18-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
Keldarn

Not much experience with XP, so I could just be blowing happy smoke...

Have you checked the jumpers on the drives? Gone into the bios and made sure they're showing up in the correct order there?

Even if these two things don't work, maybe they'll help narrow down the problem a bit more.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:09 PM   #6
cnjmorris

It won't work because the minute you click the "change" button, before any options are listed it tells you that you can't.

I fixed the install problem I was having... the problem is I want to format that old drive and I know that if I do, I won't be able to boot this one. Seems that even though I have an operating system on new drive it didn't bother to copy system files to D... like the boot.ini, etc.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:20 PM   #7
Merentha

Default bootdisk

can you copy the system files to a CD or zip drive or even floppy and then format your c: drive. set bios to boot off the A: or E: or F:, whichever will have new boot disk. let it boot off the new system disk and then change the drive designations.

alternatively, XP might not be letting you change the designation because the bios is set to boot off the C: drive.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 AM   #8
cnjmorris

Default Re: bootdisk

I found this article on Microsofts sight, but it is for win2k

support.microsoft.com/def...S;Q223188&

The problem is they say to back up.. but I can't... these are my 2 drives... not to mention I spent all day installing stuff.

I looked in the registry and everything was where they said it was, but not too sure about this plan.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:50 AM   #9
cnjmorris

Good news and bad news, bad news first.

Bad news is I lied, there is no good news.

Worse news is that I moved a few files from my C: drive (the one I should be able to format) to a folder on same pc called "Test" thinking I could move them back if I needed to.

Well, when I rebooted I got NTLDR missing, restart.

So I pop in boot to dos disk and when I try to change to C: drive to move files... its says invalid drive. When I try D:, same thing. So, looks like I lost 100GB worth of data, 20gb or so which is irreplaceable, including all college work, etc.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:56 AM   #10
Paladin Verno

Hmmm, don't panic.
Assuming that both drives did not somehow get corrupted at the same time (pretty unlikely) the data is still there.

Where did you get the DOS boot disk? Are you sure it has Hard Disk drivers on it? Are they getting loaded?

I'm not all that familiar with XP's file system, but maybe the DOS on the floppy disk doesn't understand the file system.

So you could
1) Try a different DOS boot disk with hard disk drivers. If successful, move file back to right place.
2) Install XP again on one of the disks, specifying a different location - making it bootable, you could then remove the old installation. This shouldn't interfere with other files on the disk I don't think. Unless XP requires a clean disk...Not sure on that one.
3) Get a friend to let you put the disks in their machine to get the data off onto a bunch of CDs and start from scratch.

Hope this helps some. It's a bummer losing data.

Verno
Old 09-19-2002, 02:00 AM   #11
cnjmorris

Man, after some crazy dos file transfers via recovery console I have managed to boot back into XP.

I don't have it set up the way I want, but atleast I don't have to cry over lost data. I don't know what I was going to do if it was all gone.

Tomorrow morning first thing start backing up data to disks. Backing it up to a hard drive on same machine isn't a good solution.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:53 AM   #12
Kerryn Darkwater

As you've already figured out you can re-arrange drive letters but you can't change the path names of any bootable drives.

So you're not going to rename C to anything.

The only way I know of doing this is to format your disks and reset the jumpers on the hard drive. Set the one you want as C: to master and D: to slave...then reinstall. I dont know of any other way.

For people who picked up Arnwolfs idea of renaming secondary drives please remember these stunts are performed in a controlled environment by specially trained people. Some of your less well coded applications may have trouble locating these files after the drives are renamed. If you aren't 100% do not re-adjust these settings.

I don't want to have to read in a weeks time that half your programs won't work because you decided you wanted your drives to spell out C R A P just to amuse your mates and now you want support.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:44 AM   #13
Tallerlan

If you format your drives, you can change the drive letters in a small dos program called FDISK.

This utility will help create, delete, and display information about drives and partitions. It is a command line utility and can not be run from any windows OS. It is on the Win98 Boot floppy (get a friend to make you one).

In FDISK, you can reset the active drive to the secondary and it will use that as the boot drive. only 1 drive may be active on a computer at a time and that drive will always be the boot drive.

I hope that this helps a little.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:16 AM   #14
cnjmorris

While I appreciate the suggestions on formatting there remains a small problem. I have spent 12 hours installing software on the larger drive over the last 2 days.

Things like .Net Studio require VERY specific installation order and LONG downloads off their site (one download took 2 hours, then I spent another 2 installing the 6 disks for the actual studio).

Needless to say I wanted to avoid formatting at all costs but it looks like that is what I am going to have to do. Luckily I can temporarily back up all data on my secondary PC and on my wifes PC over the network. What a pain though.

Thanks for all the input. Prolly gonna take today off and bite the bullet over the weekend.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:21 AM   #15
Arnwolf Magnuson

Do you have a windows XP cd? If you do...change your jumpers around to make your current D: drive your C: drive. Leave the current C: drive disconnected for the moment.

Boot the windows XP cd, select R for repair and C for recovery console.

At the dos prompt, type in the following command:

chkdsk c: /r

After that, try booting to just that drive (which is now C, but used to be D).

It should work...if it doesn't work. Boot to the Windows XP cd again and select enter to install windows. But when it asks for the windows directory you want to install it in, rename it to likse C:/windows2

This will do a parallel install making this hdd bootable. Then connect your old former C: drive back up as a slave drive. And you should be all set. Rip your data off of it and format it asap, bite the bullet on applications and just reinstall those.

On another note...

I don't want to have to read in a weeks time that half your programs won't work because you decided you wanted your drives to spell out C R A P just to amuse your mates and now you want support.
I would like to point out that I did in fact, as stated, pull that out of my ass.

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 09-19-2002, 12:08 PM   #16
cnjmorris

Arnwolf, thanks so much for the help thus far.

I backed up the data to other computers this time and I used recovery to go in and format d: (when I went into recovery it already recognized the drives the way I want them).

I am in the process of that chkdsk command you suggested... seems to be doing something. Hopefully I can get c: to boot. That would be ideal since I wouldn't have to reinstall.

How would I go about making it creat files like ntldr and boot.ini on c: drive? Is that only done when you install windows?

If I install windows in a file like c:/windows2 and it creates those files... could I then delete the windows2 folder?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:25 PM   #17
Darue Ivywood

Default re

Bear with me, Im hopped up on Nyquil at home not feeling good.

==Now when I try to install Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver it is running into errors because it is defaulting to the C: drive for some instalation files, and D: drive for others.==

Macromedia Flash goodies need to use .dll's that it will install into the windows directory on the boot drive. If the computer see's two Windows programs and jumpers arent set properly for master / slave.. you will run into a whole world of hurt.

--side note-- any time you install large application type software such as macromedia, visual c++ , visual basic, etc etc..and the like, try to keep this software on your boot drive to save headaches you will recieve in the future. It can be done on other drives, its just a pain in the ass to install. Games and such that are only .exe's can go anywhere. Its only the ones that will constantly use windows .dll's, change dll's and the library, that you need to be concerned with.

==In any event, what I would like to do is to make my D: drive the C: drive and vice versa. I intend to format the old 40gb and use it as storage space==

Jumper settings absolutly need to be changed.

==I turned off pc, switched the order of the drives on the cable and rebooted. They are still seen as the same drive letter they held. ==

This will have no effect on the drive letters if it is an IDE setup. This will only work if you are running SCSI Drives.

What you need to do is set your jumpers first and foremost. Set the large one for the master and the smaller for the slave to get the results you are looking for. Most new drives have the settings printed on the top side.

Now after your jumpers have been set and to avoid possible problems, put your master back in the PC and make sure all boots fine. This will also avoid any potential damage you might do to your second drives data. Also reboot once again and check BIOS and make sure it is being seen for what it really is. Once the first is being seen and all is well, put the second drive in the PC (make sure its set to slave) and once booted (from first drive) open the second drive root folder and remove ' Command.com'. once that is gone , there will be no way to boot from the second drive be it accidentally or purposely for that matter. Then you should be on your way to reformatting second drive or trasfering files with ease.

Hope that helps. The most common problem people have with having two drives , is the jumper settings are forgotten.

Old 09-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #18
cnjmorris

Default Re: re

I had actually changed the jumpers already, sorry I didnt mention that. I wouldn't move the drives without changing jumpers.

For some reason they took the proper letters in recovery and when I booted with dos disk, but once I booted windows and looked in windows explorer the drives were reversed.

I may have it fixed now, if not I am going to have to format and reinstall all.. but either way my data is now backed up.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:07 PM   #19
Arnwolf Magnuson

If I install windows in a file like c:/windows2 and it creates those files... could I then delete the windows2 folder?
Nope...you normally only use a parallel install (which is what this is called) in order to get access to a harddrive with a corrupt OS.

Once you have access to the drive and you've backed up your data, it's always best to format and reinstall from scratch otherwise you have all these sloppy loose ends left behind and you get these weird phantom error messages from your programs...it's cruddy.

How would I go about making it creat files like ntldr and boot.ini on c: drive? Is that only done when you install windows?
FDISK /mbr

That's the command you want for that. It clears out your master boot record and it's recreated on restart. Only it's not quite that easy.

It only works on Primary IDE drive 0..and sometimes doesn't work at all.

But basically it rewrites the master boot record or recreates one in the event it's not present.

I should mention though that I've never had to use it and can't vouch for it's success rate. It is used sometimes to clear Master Boot Record viruses, so if you do a google search on those, you might find decent instructions.

Arnwolf Magnuson

p.s. chkdsk with the /r switch (available in win2k and winxp) checks all of the critical windows system files for bad files, missing files and corrupt data, then replaces those files. It takes awhile, but works pretty good. In win2k it's probably the most powerful tool available to recover a corrupt OS.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:54 PM   #20
cnjmorris

Well the /chkdsk didn't work. I mean it ran but when I rebooted ntldr was still missing.

I bit the bullet, formatted both drives and I am already installing .Net now. The crisis was the thought that all my data was gone. The 12 hours of installation is annoying, but its a much cheaper lesson to learn than the lesson of losing all my data.

My data is now backed up on disks, not JUST on hard disk.

Thanks for the patience and time.