Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2003, 01:20 AM   #26
Kerryn

I haven't taken the motherboard out of the case yet. As I say it worked fine when it was "my machine" so it can't be a mounting problem.

I've unplugged the PSU from the motherboard but I've never left it out for any length of time. I'll do that tonight to exhaust all options because I can't take it to be looked at till at least Saturday.

Thanks again for the help guys. It still pisses me off that as a computer tech I have to pay for another computer tech to fix my own damn machine.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:23 AM   #27
Keldarn

Default Surges

Early in December we had some electrical faults and I blew my main computers PSU. So I replaced it, looked at surge protection and stupidly put it off till after Christmas because in the run-up I was broke. But the main machine worked fine after.
Computers are very finicky (Eh? That look right?) when it comes to power surges/spikes. Sometimes they don't do anything...just keep plugging away like always. Sometimes you'll blow a power supply, and nothing else. But other times surges/spikes will cause damage that isn't immediately detectable and dramatically decreases the life of internal components.

An example would be a machine I had a couple of years ago. We had an electrical storm pass through the area, and apparently a lightning strike had sent a surge through the phone lines. First thing that happened was the modem quit working. It would communicate with the computer, but couldn't make an external connection to the phone line. Replaced the modem. About a week later, the video card died...then I believe the sound card went kaput. After troubleshooting for a good while, I came to the conclusion that the surge had thrown a crowbar into the ISA/PCI bus and worked a number on the cards in those slots. Surges are bad juju.

Now I'm not saying to go out and spend money on a brand new Motherboard, but from what you've said so far it definately sounds like it's cooked.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:34 AM   #28
Kerryn

Dredged this post up because I've finally discovered the problem after paying the computer firm from where I bought the parts to fix it.

40 later and they've discovered that a faulty hard drive is shorting the boards. Jetway motherboards apparantly have a built in safety feature which then cuts the board out for 1 hour.

Now not knowing this I ran my tests. No HHD in place, but I hadn't banked on having to wait 1 hour before doing anything else and hey presto my problem is fixed.

If you didn't know about this safety feature there was no chance of fixing it really.

Upshot is that the HDD is being replaced free of charge and I now have a working computer and an extra motherboard.

The bad news is that my GF is completely pissed off that she's lost all her Sims neighbourhood and is giving me grief. Yet again.

In future I think I'll trust my instinct more. I knew something was fishy.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:13 AM   #29
Bumamgar

Default Memories

Originally posted by Kerryn
40 later and they've discovered that a faulty hard drive is shorting the boards. Jetway motherboards apparantly have a built in safety feature which then cuts the board out for 1 hour.

Now not knowing this I ran my tests. No HHD in place, but I hadn't banked on having to wait 1 hour before doing anything else and hey presto my problem is fixed.
Hehe, the magic of modern electronics. I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, but I have often found that sometimes the best way to fix a problem is to simply shelve it for the night and check back the next day.

Older equipment sometimes needs to be left alone longer, but I have often experienced systems "magically" fixing themselves.

I had a Commodore 64 that developed a flaky joystick port. It simply stopped reading input on the port. I happened to have a spare C=64, so I put the one with the flaky port in the closet to keep as "spare parts"

6 months later, something more serious went wrong with the system I was using, so I brought out the shelved system, expecting to have to do without one joystick port. To my surprise, it must have gotten lonely in the closet or something, because it magically fixed itself! Both joystick ports worked flawlessly, and in fact, I never had a problem with that system again.

Sometimes your computer just needs a "time out"
Old 01-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #30
Keldarn

Sometimes your computer just needs a "time out"
Or a 16lb. sledge hammer...

Glad the problem got resolved, Kerryn. Had never heard of that safety "switch" before.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:07 AM   #31
Igota
Supporter

That feature is just wrong.... would have gotten me too.

But glad to hear you got it all worked out ('cept the girlfriend thing).
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:51 AM   #32
eronj

Default re

nm you fixed it =)
eronj is offline   Reply With Quote