Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
Diwahabulin

Default CPU Question Screen Flick

Two questions actually.

1. On my second computer whenever I put a second 512 sdram stick in and boot up my screen starts flickering. At first I thought the stick might be bad but upon putting that one in alone it works fine.

I have winXP and have had both in at one time before to give me 1.2g of ram before.

I also tried putting both in in different slots to see if it was a slot but i still get flickering.

Then I went into the BIOS and Enabled all VGA options (ie ram cacheable and memory hole at 15 and 16) just to see if that would help but it didnt.

So now I am back with windows xp with 512 ram. Any ideas why a screen would flicker?

2. Network question. I have two cpus hooked up to a switch. I am getting a message on only one that says "Local Area Network 2: A connection is unplugged" in the windows task bar.

This does not affect my internet at all but the message is very annoying. I tried putting my lan card in a different slot and connecting both cpus to a different slot in the switch. Both have different IP adresses. Any ideas how to get rid of this message?

Thanks

Diwahabulin
Diwahabulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
Naos
Ontological Hazard

What kind of motherboard and video card are you using?

For the network, under properities.. there should be an option to disable the message on the taskbar, have you tried that? Also, it could be refering to a network-connection that you are no longer using, if so.. disable it.
Naos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #3
Diwahabulin

Default re

My motherboard is an Abit BL7 RAID and my videa card is a Inno3D Tornado GF3 Ti200 128 mb.

Diwahabulin
Old 01-05-2003, 12:45 AM   #4
Naos
Ontological Hazard

Honestly I don't know, here are a few ideas for you though.

1. I had an ABIT board before I switched to an Intel one, some of them only support adding RAM in certain steppings.. i.e. 256, 256, 512, 512 - you can't say go, 512, 256 - it won't work. The third RAM slot of a few of the newer ABIT boards is not really a slot, it's just reserved for future use.

2. Are both sticks of RAM the same? If not, maybe they just don't get along well (i.e. one is Cas 3 the other Cas 2... different speeds perhaps?)

3. Flash your BIOS to the newest revision. See if there is a firmware update for your video-card available also.

4. Try stepping up the AGP Voltage to 1.6. (the default is 1.5 I believe).

5. Your power supply... you could be using a 250W one, and need more juice when you add that extra stick.

Like I said, I don't know... that's an odd error to get. Might want to contact both ABIT and Inno3D about it.

Hope you get it resolved,

-Naos
Naos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Igota
Supporter

once when i moved the RAM in my sytem around it ran on the default video and not the divers i had installed, thus defaulting to a res/refresh rate that my monitor did not like...

doubt it is it but take a look at your display properties and see what's up.
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
Antheus/Arclite

i'd make sure they're both rated at the same speed as naos said. Try latest BIOS revision perhaps.
Antheus/Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:29 AM   #7
Kerryn

Tell me. Is your monitor powered by the PSU of the computer or is it powered independantly being plugged in directly at the wall?
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:35 AM   #8
Diwahabulin

1. I have 2 512 ram sticks both SDRAM (PC 133).

2. My Monitor is hooked into the wall.

3. I have a 400w Power Supply.

I will try flashing the bios although Abit doesnt make it the easiest to do. (One thing I like about Asus you can flash your bios from Windows).

But I use to use both sticks fine but now the moment I put a second on the screen flickers.

I can use windows normally but the flickering is way bad.

Once I only leave 1 stick of 512 its fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Diwahabulin
Old 01-08-2003, 02:41 AM   #9
Antheus/Arclite

if you have another stick of 512 try putting that in or even try any other stick of ram just to see if there's a problem with that stick too.
Antheus/Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:49 AM   #10
Dunwut DaMojoOgre

Sounds to me like either the 2 sticks don't get along or, if it's the same slot that having memory in causes the flicker, could be a bad mem slot.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:56 AM   #11
muzgash

I've seen this before. Are the sticks from the same manafucture? If not you could be having a conflict. In fact..since the problem disappears w/you remove one stick I'd this is it.

Muzgash
Sarraak the Ickymon
muzgash is offline   Reply With Quote