Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
Perliquin

Default Who all is having severe PL lately?

I'm just wondering if it is just me or is this something that everyone is experiencing. Please post and let me know.

Perl.
Perliquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
Leldari L
MOD

Send a message via AIM to Leldari L
Not just you...last night in Hate we had folks going LD like mad. Even those not going LD were averaging lag in the 5-6k range.

Didn't seem as bad today though.

PS haven't fixed the sig yet...I'm lazy...but I'm 61 now
Old 01-03-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Perliquin: let me guess, you are a verizon DSL subscriber?
Old 01-03-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
Perliquin

Nope. Cox Cable actually.
I have a theory about it. I have had pretty bad lag ever since the last patch which is also close to the time when they announced that they were going to finally allow EQ to run in a window.
Not only were they gonna let you run it in a window but they were also gonna give up on their battle with ShowEQ.
Now, after all these years of fighting so strongly against ShowEQ, why do they suddenly just give up and say "oh what the hell, you win. Go ahead and use ShowEQ."? I think they must have slipped in some way to encrypt the data sent accross to us during gameplay which will block ShowEQ or at least make it harder to use. And because of this, its affecting PL levels in game. I went to the Official Tech support boards and it is full of people having this exact same problem and there has not been a single response addressing it from the Sony people.
What do you guys think? I'm not a techie so I really don't know for sure if this is a credible theory or not.

Perl.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Netura

Send a message via AIM to Netura
Heh, I'm also on cox cable and also have been getting lag lately...lots of it. Usually I am lag-free, but the last few days have been aweful...It hasn't been so bad that I LD yet, but its been on the verge of LD, then back, then to a little red on the lag bar, then back etc....
Old 01-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
Firstly, where did you hear that they're giving up the battle against ShowEQ? I hadn't heard that ... they ARE giving up the battle against EQ Windows, an entirely different piece of software, but that makes obvious sense considering that they're supporting it themselves now.

Secondly, they already encrypted the data going back and forth between server and client. It's just that ShowEQ breaks it dynamically. They may have changed the encryption scheme entirely (again) in an attempt to mess up ShowEQ, but it seems unlikely that that would cause packet loss.
In any case I suspect they've worked out by now that any encryption scheme they come up with will be broken by the HackersQuest guys within a few days and ShowEQ will be updated accordingly.
Lately their strategy for dealing with ShowEQ has been mostly directed not towards encryption, but towards minimising the useful information that the client actually recieves - for example instead of recieving a numerical exp count after each kill, the client now gets a message saying something along the lines of "move the exp bar up slightly".

Anyway, the PL could be related to the last patch (most likely a problem with the server software rather than the client), but more likely it's a transient router problem .. personally I haven't had any more PL than normal.
Bear with it.

Ssetti

PS. I don't use and have never used ShowEQ.
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:08 PM   #7
Tormarc

i havent noticed anything out of the ordinary lately
Tormarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:09 PM   #8
Dreadwolff

Lets see

you use show EQ so u can cheat ?

Ummm why even play a game if your going to cheat

ooopps i forgot that what being so called uber is useing CHEATS .....err Exploits
Dreadwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #9
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I think he was referring to EQW and not Show EQ.

Thats a really big typo tho man, be more careful.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
Perliquin

OK, so it was a lamebrain theory. Heh, like I said, I'm not a techie. And you're right Chuck, I did get ShowEQ and EQ Windows mixed up. More than likely its probably a Cox Cable problem since I heard from Netura about his lag problem too.

OK, carry on... nothing to see here.
/em blends back in to the crowd.

Perl.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:40 AM   #11
Gonada

Send a message via ICQ to Gonada
a few weeks back it was let known that the server side spam filter wasnt working.

most ppl wont see it unless they are in groups of 30+ fighting at once in a small area(like arena for vindi or statue ect)

they gave no eta for it being fixed, and havent seen a thing bout it scince.

Gonada Dahung
High priest
http://www.ringofdestiny.com/
Gonada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
Aamrie

Default umm no

ooopps i forgot that what being so called uber is useing CHEATS .....err Exploits
ummm no..try a little bit of hard work?
Might go further than calling everyone cheats..

Jack Thompson: Yes, put down the controller and get a life. Video gaming is an escapist activity and youíre being exploited by these companies. Itís not healthy; I worry about someone who would play Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day. Itís a masturbatory activity, and it would be better if people put down the controller and went outside.
Aamrie is offline   Reply With Quote