Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
Rimokthefatone

Default (_)_)/////////////|)

Ha.ave y..you Ss..seen ma...my Ww.weeena?
Old 09-15-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Yeah, she's in the Time Machine.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:15 PM   #3
Banisher Braveknight

Default hahahahaahahah

that movie is hilarious (atleast I think thats what your quoting it from... wont say what I think it is though hehe)
Old 09-15-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
Kylien Jellybean

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp What is important about good English that anyone should care about it? According to John Simon, author of “Why Good English is Good For You,” modern speakers of English should indeed lament their broken, failing language. The English language has been abused, distorted, and polluted by its “owners,” the very people who use it as a communication tool. Modern English speakers have destroyed the language to such an extent that many of them have accordingly lost the ability to think, which, of course, is a direct byproduct of the type of language one speaks. So where is our society headed in our usage of language? Are we destined to become a group of mindless, babbling, incoherent people who are so unable to communicate with one another that we cease to be a community? Perhaps, if the path paved by Simon for the future of our language is true. Maybe there is still hope, however, that the changes in our language are a natural phenomenon. We may not be in for a future of colloquialisms after all.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Indeed, some of the concerns Simon brings up are logically valid. The English language is changing at a very swift pace and there is literally nothing the proper English community can do about it. New slang words are introduced into the language every day, even every second, and people are constantly finding ways to transform existing words’ meanings and connotations. The language, it seems, is moving farther from its roots than it ever has moved. The spoken form in specific has undergone horrific changes over the past thirty years. Dialects are also under constant change. In different parts of the world – even different regions of a particular city – there are seemingly completely different forms of English spoken by various inhabitants. Where then does Simon’s theory about good English go from fact to speculation? The answer is simple: severity.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The English language is ever changing, it always has been, and it always will be. Although Simon is correct in that the language is more different today than it ever has been, thus is the evolution of human communication. Words are changed and added to languages on a constant basis, in fact, the addition of words is a requirement in order to keep languages from joining the likes of Latin and Sanskrit on the “dead language list.” As long as a language is used, it will be changed. Languages are flexible and forgiving. They are tools of those who use them, and a language can be formed to fit any task. A language is merely a servant to people, not an overbearing master, strict on rules and iron fisted on etiquette. Perhaps the reason that English speakers tend to use some parts of speech for another is simply that a better substitute does not exist, or perhaps for clarity’s sake.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Simon may be pointing the accusing finger in the wrong direction altogether. If language is constantly changing, why blame the newer speakers for ruining it with change instead of blaming the elder speakers for limiting its use? Indeed, people who spend their time and energy in an attempt to keep the
language the way it has “always been” may be doing more harm than good in separating generations, races, and nations by using their language as a basis for judging intelligence. It is conceited, even self-righteous to think that the manner in which one speaks can make one person better or more intelligent than another. A well-known saying is that “history books are written by the winners,” so perhaps language is just another way for the political and social elite to separate themselves from the masses. Or maybe language is another way to rebel against oppressors and show individual identity.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The English language, like nearly all other things, seems to be caught in the crossfire between society’s distinct sects. The generations disagree over its use, races argue over its importance, and social classes define themselves by what variety they use. So what does all this mean for our poor, torn language? Quite literally, it means absolutely nothing. The struggles that we see today with language have existed for as long as language – no, communication – has existed. In all things, previous generations always consider themselves superior to the generations that come later due to hardships and nostalgia for the way things “used to be so much better.” Also, humans are always in search for better ways to define their individuality, and language is an excellent way to be exclusive within one’s group of peers. All of these conflicts seem to stem from natural human behavior and beliefs.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp So what, then, will become of our language? If history repeats itself, which it is prone to do, it will change as it always have and survive in tact, if not
slightly different than it has been in the past. It will not be destroyed, merely altered so that the next generation of people can use it to communicate in the
way that they want. Perhaps someday a new language will stem off of our modern English, and in the distant future writers will write diligently under the argument that their new language is straying too far from the original version. Did not all language evolve from the initial grunts and snorts of our neanderthal ancestors? Nobody has ever heard of a caveman arguing in defense of keeping the original human language alive, so why then is it so important to keep English such a rigidly strict set of rules? Let language change, as people change, because change is the gateway to advancement.

Old 09-15-2002, 05:52 PM   #5
Kidin

Default Re: Miss Jellybean

Hail,

Seems you cut and pasted an English essay here. Okay.
Would you like it critiqued? Or did you just really agree with the sentiments and wanted to share?

I don't care either way, it just seemed a little bizarre in response to a "Have you seen my weeena?" post.

Safe travels,
Old 09-15-2002, 06:15 PM   #6
Kylien Jellybean

I did it on purpose. To be confusing.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:22 PM   #7
Kylien Jellybean

Frekkles... I'm a dude...!
Old 09-15-2002, 06:27 PM   #8
Skeletal Aggravation

Default W3!nAh

what weiner? you mean that void between your legs? :eek:

Mr. Cradles
Old 09-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Miniac

Rimko, u r teh shti.

can u pl me k thnx

pArUm PaPuMpApUm
Old 09-16-2002, 02:33 AM   #10
Kerryn Darkwater

Default Re: W3!nAh

Miss Jellybean.

/snicker
/cough
/splutter

OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAH

/em calms down

Miss Jellybean

HAAHAHAHAHAH
Old 09-16-2002, 05:05 AM   #11
Kylien Jellybean

Kerryn so mean... so mean...
Old 09-16-2002, 05:58 AM   #12
Feldynn

It's not Kerryn's fault.. he's just a Paladin that dresses like a Ranger, and lives in hope that one day he too can be a member of The Village People!!

/flee
Old 09-16-2002, 06:16 AM   #13
Kerryn Darkwater

Feldynn, I think you have the wrong post. Surely you should be posting in the "dr00ds suk, b4rdz r00lz" post.

What's with the Ranger crack though? You getting me confused with Valeris again in your wet dreams? I'm in almost full scaled knights now and you should know cos ( Bite me Hoppy, cos = because ) it was your bank I raided for the gems!!

I've got a new sig for you though mate.

[c]<a target="new" href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=53943">Feldynn Soerbaird</a> - a "Handbag Wielding Bard"
[u]Master of Twisting Two Songs on a Good Day[u]

<a target="new" href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=53953">Yridia Skadi</a> - "Goddess of Winter and of the Hunt"[/c]
Old 09-16-2002, 06:30 AM   #14
Feldynn

Hehe no no I did post on the "Dr00ds SuXx0rz, B@rDz r0xX0rz" thread.

And yes I could be getting you confused with Valeris.. you are both bandy-legged, Fishnet wearing, Handbag weilding Village People wannabes after all, so it's an easy mistake to make .

BTW congrats on increasing your skill at hitting the HTML check box, what is it like 10 now? /snicker

[c]--------[c]

[c]<a target="new" href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=53943">Feldynn Soerbaird</a> - an "Hand Bag Wielding Bard"
Master of Twisting 2 songs on a Good Day!!!

<a target="new" href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=53953">Yridia Skadi</a> - "Goddess of Winter and of the Hunt"[/c]
Old 09-16-2002, 06:40 AM   #15
Kerryn Darkwater

BTW congrats on increasing your skill at hitting the HTML check box, what is it like 10 now? /snicker
No dude. I cheated and went into my personal profile and enabled HTML by default.

So now I fuck up quotes instead!!

Old 09-16-2002, 06:47 AM   #16
Feldynn

Haha oh dear... well on the bright side at least your swearing and cussing shouldn't be interrupted by those pesky 's now
Old 09-16-2002, 07:24 AM   #17
Kylien Jellybean

Rangers.... mmmm.... Aishen is a Ranger. Back when I was a Ranger too we used to play Ranger games. Like monopoly. Then one foggy Christmas eve, santa came to say.... ho ho ho! Kylien with your schlong so big, all the ladies really dig (you). LOL I'm so funny.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:23 AM   #18
Elnots Sadnes

Hey Braveknight, I seem to be less informed on the topic of conversation. Could ye enlighten me?
Old 09-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #19
Rimokthefatone

FRRaANK AN' BEANSs!!! FRANK AN' BEANS!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 02:51 PM   #20
Skeletal Aggravation

Default !!!!!

Haa .aaa. a he was masturbating..!
Old 09-17-2002, 03:03 PM   #21
Aishen

/snookle Jelly

/@#$%^&* Jelly

Old 09-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #22
Kylien Jellybean

Default Re: !!!!!

Ooooohhhhh yeaaaaa!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:14 AM   #23
Kerryn Darkwater

Jelly : (_)_)/////////|)

Kerryn : <FONT SIZE=3>(_)_)//////////////////////|)</FONT>

Feldynn : <FONT SIZE=1>(_)_)///|)</FONT>
Old 09-18-2002, 08:27 AM   #24
Feldynn

Not gonna disagree with you there Ryn ... but at least mine isn't stuck right in the middle of my forehead like yours is
Old 09-18-2002, 08:29 AM   #25
Ice Weasel X

You forgot to mention that he placed it between two others... &nbsp;Lay your hands elsewhere, paladin!

/cackle