Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2002, 09:39 PM   #1
Weiland

Default Need a little PC help

Ok here goes, just bought a new motherboard and processor for my 2nd machine (yay EQ capable again) and I am having a very strange problem. The worst part is I can't find any info anywhere on anyone else having this problem (well I found 2 but had already attempted those fixes).

Here is the problem:
When attempting to shutdown Windows, my system hangs at the Windows is shutting down screen. In order to kill the system I have to do the old reliable hold-the-power-button-down-for-5-seconds trick.

I've disabled ACPI in the bios and inside Windows and I get the it is now safe to turn of your computer garbage page. Renabling APCI and APM = lockup. Disabling APCI and enabling APM = lockup. Enabling APCI and disabling APM = now safe blah blah.

I read that disabling the power feature of my USB root hub would fix it - nope. I read that turning off fast user switching would fix it - nah. I read that downloading XP SP1 would fix it - not true.

So here's my system, you AMD guys tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Athlon XP 1800+
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum
512MB PC2100 RAM
Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti 500
WD 30GB 7200 HD
Generic other crap (cd, floppy)
Latest Detonator Drivers
Latest VIA 4 n 1 Drivers
Windows XP Professional ~ all updates installed

Hep me
I should be able to do this crap, I build PC's for a living, but this has got me going insane.

Thanks
Weiland
Old 09-20-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
Arnwolf Magnuson

Well...

Have you tried starting up in Safemode, going to device manager and deleting all of your ACPI stuff, then restarting in normal so it all gets rebuilt?

That might do it...

Arnwolf
Old 09-21-2002, 07:25 AM   #3
Weiland

Good idea, I'll try it.

Thanks Arnwolf
Old 09-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
Weiland

No dice, any other thoughts?
Old 09-21-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Igota

I feel your pain, I have the same problem on my old P III computer so it is not just an AMD issue.

I have not been able to fix it at all, which pisses me off to no end as well cause this type of thing should be way below me as well.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:53 PM   #6
Astryne

This used to be pretty common in Win 9x, but I am not sure if you are having that same problem in XP or if its something new. Have you tried looking at M$'s Knowledge Base (I know I am evil for suggesting it, but it normally works). A quick search found support.microsoft.com/def...us;Q196008 for the old Win 9x errors and support.microsoft.com/def...us;Q307274 for issues with XP... Hopefully it will help.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #7
Weiland

The Microsoft Knowledge base was the first place I went. Unfotunately, their 3 suggestions did nada. I am beginning to think it may be a Windows error and not a VIA hardware issue (was my first thought). Think I may try and do a repair with XP and see if it works. Will keep trying.

This is such a pain in the arse. It seems that everything VIA or AMD that I touch gets quirky.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #8
Arnwolf Magnuson

well...only other thing I can think of is...

Hit start, run, type in cmd, hit enter

This brings up a dos command prompt. Type in:

chkdsk c: /r

Hit enter...it'll say some junk about not being able to do it now, do you want to do it on startup, say yes. Restart computer...let chkdsk run.

Arnwolf