Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 04:48 PM   #1
SureDeath

Question Looking for computer help

Ok, I'll do my very best to explain what is going on, if I screw up let me know and I'll provide the info you need.

For starters here is my computer

Dell Dimension 8100
Windows ME
Pentium 4 1.5Ghz processor
1024MB of RAM
Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Sound card
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

About 4 months ago I noticed that performance wasn't what I thought it should be so I started looking into what it could be. It was a virus. I ran virus program, found the virus, and took care of it. Problem was the virus was in the windows files (which ones I'm not sure) and they could not be repaired. Not having much experience with this sort of thing I called Dell Tech Support.

Dell told me that the best thing to do would be to format the hard drive and do a complete re-install. So, that is what we did. Here is where the new problems started. After debuging, partitioning and formating we started to reinstall everything. All went well except the fact that now my graphics card wouldn't take any of the drivers I was trying to load, but the sound card would work fine. So, after a little messing around I uninstalled the graphics and sound drivers and installed them in different orders. Graphics first, sound second. Now the graphics card works but the sound doesn't.

To make this really long post short. I have formatted my hard drive 6 times (I know it's a lot, I can thank Dell for that, was their advice), have been on the phone with Dell for hours on end, still have no sound, and still get error messages all the time.

And to top things off virtual memory is disabled and when I try to turn it on NOTHING happens. It's like Windows won't let me turn it on. I have tried adjusting the settings myself but I still get messages that I am out of memory. I have an 80 gig hard drive and a gig of RAM! I shouldn't run out of memory running a single program. Before I upgraded to 1024 RAM I had only 256 and I could run twice as many programs without any problems and I had sound.

Anyone out there have any ideas

Please let me know

Thx..

Suredeeth Soundsgood
SureDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Well...here are a few ideas.

Do another format and reinstall...don't load any drivers. With a bland, vanilla WinME installation, upgrade to Windows XP home that you buy, will cost you $99.00. That's the cheap but painless solution which gets you a better operating system.

Expensive version of this...buy Windows XP home full install (or Pro) and do the full installation of that.

Or, take out your Radeon 9700 (temporarily putting your old video card back in). Explain to Dell you have reformatted and reinstalled SIX times. Keep pushing the issue, stick to your guns, don't take no for an answer. When the tech says, "that's all I can do" ask for a manager. Keep going until you get a harddrive with software or a set of SRCD's (factory image)...maybe even a full system exchange if you bitch enough...politely. Bitching unpolitely gets you jack.

Once you get the SRCD's and/or the hdd with software, set everything up, then yank out your old video card and put your Radeon back in.

Remember the rules of Tech Support:

Be Firm

Be Polite

Ask for Supervisor's only when the technician offers no more solutions.

Refuse to repeat steps you have taken multiple times already, no more reinstalls.

Dell makes really good systems and they have great support. Sometimes you just have to wait to get what you need, but it will come.

Arnwolf Magnuson
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 07:34 PM   #3
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
First of all, Turn virtual memory ON! Windows NEEDS it.

Next, try reinstalling DirectX before installing both your video and sound drivers. I have a Dell 8100 also and never seen this prob.

Third, Get Windows Xp Pro if you dont have it, NOT home, Home is CRAP!

Another thing to try is disable norton or whatever virus program you have running while installing the drivers.

Remember this, you will never see the FULL speed of your video card unless you upgrade your motherboard, You need AGP 8x to take full advantage of it and it was not availabe when the 8100 series was around.

Also make sure you are using the Turtle Beach Drivers from Dell and not Santa Cruz, SC's drivers are NOT supported by the dell versions. I know because thats the card i have (love it, best one i have seen yet!).

Tell me if any of these helps...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:15 PM   #4
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Third, Get Windows Xp Pro if you dont have it, NOT home, Home is CRAP!
WinXP Pro is definitely better. But unless you plan on pirating a copy...which are often buggy copies. Or unless you plan on shelling out a lot of bucks.

Almost every home user can get everything they need from an Operating System with Windows XP home.

The differences between the two break down to networking, security and administration features that a gamer will NEVER use.

Arnwolf Magnuson
Old 12-25-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
screw pirating, im sure you can find a friend that has a copy of it

if not IM me sometime next week (im at my parents house this week) and i can "lend" you mine

Pro is also more stable, I dont care how much people care they are alike but i have had Home on my laptop for sometime before getting tired of the crap memory handling and the issues with it.

I can't wait for lindows to become fully compatible, or Mac's next OS which will probably be compatible with windows.
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:59 PM   #6
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

If you "borrow" a copy of WinXP, you have to make sure you get the right kind of OEM version. If you don't then you have to "activate" it.

If someone else activates your copy, you are going to have a hard time activating it yourself if you have to reinstall.

Trust me...you are just better off buying a copy.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:51 PM   #7
Daka

Default XP

XP is the deal to go with. You dont need to install ME first "IF" you by the upgrade. You just have to have the ME or 98 disk it will ask at some point. DONT infect a system with ME at all costs.

If you can get hold of a "Back Up" copy of XP Pro do it. If not the differences between Home and Pro are the Networking abilities, Loggin on to damains and such. The core of the XP are the same. There is nothing wrong with home. Especialy if you are going to purchase it. The cost difference is the biggest deal.

Windows ME is the Devil...

Daka.
Daka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 10:34 PM   #8
Adom Wraithbane

Default Screw XP

Hey you dont need XP to run optimally. I run ME and never have any problems whatsoever.

Just by the description of what you mentioned in your initial post, you have a conflict with the 2. They are both trying to use the same resources.

Which component was originally in your computer? I would guess the video card was a new purchase since it is top of the line card atm and your still using ME.

Open Control Panel, System, Devices and locate any reference to this video card and remove it from here. Once it has been done, remove all information here related to your sound card. Now, turn off your computer. Remove your graphics card from the computer. Turn on your computer. When it boots back up, it will say it has found a new sound card. It will ask you to install new drivers for it. Let it run automatic and do its thing. Once sound card is installed and your computer is back up to the desk-top. Open up Control Panel, system, devices. Is there a "? audio device" where your sound card should be? If not then your sound card is ready to roll. If there is a "?" click on properties and select update driver button. Put your install disc for your sound card in and then specifiy where its at on the next screen and let it auto locate and install the files it needs. If everything is done sucessfully you should not have a "?" any more for your sound card. Now, turn off computer. Install the video card. Turn on your computer. It will again stay it has found a new video card, let it run automatic until it completes. Bring up control panel, system, devices. Do you have a "? video device"?. If not, then you should be up and running well now. If you do, then you can do 2 things. First, you can do the same steps we did earlier for your sound card. Click on properties, update drives and insert your install disk and specify its location and complete the process. Or Secondly, if you have internet access, download the most resent drivers for your video card in exe format. Run the program and let the program configure it for you. Once it is done, reboot your computer even if it didn't prompt you to do so. Once rebooted you should up and running normally.

If you have any problems with this process post it here. I am doing this strickly from memory and may have missed a step. I can usually follow the process on my computer at home, but I am not there atm. Hope this helps you. Getting an upgraded version of Windows would be my last option unless someone offered it freely and I still would be sceptical.

Why fix something when it's not broken....least on my computer anyways.
Adom Wraithbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:40 PM   #9
SureDeath

Default Wow Thx

Wow thx for all the input everyone. I'm going to see what I can get done with all this and let you know.

Again Thx.

Suredeeth Soundsgood

"Sure, just keep laughing at my pet.. He'll keep laughing at you when you are getting mauled by him"
Old 12-26-2002, 08:11 AM   #10
darue_ivywood

WinME sucks.. Its the bastard child of MicroSofts attempt at making a stable WinNT for the home. (also the reason Win2K came out so quickly afterwards)

Also, ever just try slipping the sound card into another slot?
Sometimes if its a resource sharing conflict, this can make the problem go away.

ps.. if'n you do get a, erm, *copy* of WinXP Pro that has been activated...there is a way around it to, um, get it registered, and, um, Service Packs installed
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #11
LuxxorAutumnwood

Send a message via ICQ to LuxxorAutumnwood
Well everyone has their own opinion on OS's... personally I can work with about anything with minimal bitching about it all being the OS's fault (since 9 times out of 10 it's actually pebkac)
But, roomie and I have computers that are real close to the same specs with the only real difference being that he has a 64meg video card and runs XP Pro, and I have a 32meg video card and run ME. We have the same amount of ram, and my processor lists a little bit faster, but it's a celeron, so it actually doesn't run all that much faster when you clock it.
Guess who gets less lag in EQ all the way around? Especially in POP. He gets lag so bad he can't do much more than look at the ground and AF someone, whereas I'm prancing around happily with very little skipping at all
Not to start an OS flame war - can anyone tell me what we can do to speed his up at least until we can find our copy of ME cd to try that?

Last edited by LuxxorAutumnwood; 12-26-2002 at 01:59 PM.
LuxxorAutumnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:49 PM   #12
darue_ivywood

When I setup Win2K on a *ugh* Compaq Evo W6000 Xeon, it did its thing with the information on the hard drive. Asked about setups , yada yada...typical proprietary crapola.

Well, to make a long story short, Compaq has CRAP loading onto it in all directions. Tons and TOns of Crap. It slowed the system down so bad, it was virtually unplayable.

Microsoft in their infinte wisdom doesnt have a 'MSCONFIG' type option for Win2K. Finally found one, downloaded it, and the shit I found running in the background was horrendous. (besides a stupid mouse thing compaq had...)

Shut that crap off for start-up and now it runs like a champ. Zones so much faster than my 98SE (Due mainly to the SCSI Drive ) but still gags on some graphics (due mainly to the 32 Meg Vid Card thats currently in it.)

I would suggest seeing whats being started in the background everytime it boots up, especially if its a proprietary system (ie one you didnt build yourself) Chances are there is a lot of garbage there.

If it is something you built yourself, Defrag the drive, and check on the swap file size.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:48 PM   #13
Mackentil

Windows ME doesn't like more than 512 megs of ram. If you want to take advantage of your ram you need to run an NT based OS. Here is a link describing some issues with >512. I almost guarantee your virtual memory problem is due to having >512 megs of ram.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;253912

You might want to run just 512 and see if your problems go away.

If you can afford it, I would purchase XP PRO or at the minimum XP home. Windows ME is the worst OS that Microsoft still supports.
Mackentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:44 AM   #14
SureDeath

Talking OMG! THANK YOU!

Mackentil you have solved my problem.
Not only is VM working but my sound is now working as well. It seems the whole problem was I had too much RAM. Had to put the old RAM in to make it work but at the moment I really don't care. You rock!

I would like to thank everyone that helped me in this matter. I am going to upgrade to XP when I get the money(when I get a job to be honest).

Hopefully Dell will take the RAM back and give me something a little smaller(instead of 2 sticks of 512, maybe 2 sticks of 128).
Either way I am a happy gamer!

Thx

Suredeeth Soundsgood

Edit: corrected some spelling so things would make sense