Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 07:53 AM   #1
Baidieneriy

Default Tech Help.....Using TV as Monitor

I can't change my screen resolutions when I try, and the screen is all big and whatnot.....

I'm technically challenged.

help please.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:22 AM   #2
Igota
Supporter

What video card are you using, are you using a special card, what type of signal is the output, is it converted via some cable or reciver, and what TV is it?

I assume you are using the svideo out on a geforce and it is going to a non digital TV, in which case, (since your TV only supports one resolution) you are kind of stuck using whatever one works unless your card supports some form of resizing. To make it work real well you need to use the DVI out and send it to a compatable hdtv.

But if you need more info than that please post some more about how you have it set up and I will see if I know that configuration.
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
darue_ivywood

USing a TV as a Monitor ..well...SUCKS!

Resolution is CRAP!

Unless you went out and bought an HDTV like Igota suggested.

I remember when I first got a card that had that capablity,(several years ago) I was like 'COOL, I can jack this into the TV'

I did it for about 5 minutes, and never went back.

Pixelated, 640x480, no resolution, gamma controls all funked up..etc etc.

Unless you have a Digital TV, dont bother with it.

Now, I am wondering what it would look like on a plasma big screen....

HMMmmm...anyone have $7000 to try this with?

darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:48 AM   #4
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
just got a 27" flatscreen high definition TV.. gonna go buy cables today.. will see how it works
Old 12-26-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
Baidieneriy

Apex, 27inch...... it's got digital tuning or some shit like that....

GeForce 3, Ti 200 graphic card

hooked PC up to TV using S-Video cables

is there any like...converter box i can get to do the res switching? or do i need to get a new TV?
Old 12-27-2002, 10:17 AM   #6
kanibaal
korpse

Default waste of time

baid, it is a waste of time unless you are just wanting to watch a DVD or do PowerPoint on your TV. If you are thinking 'wow i will play EQ and unreal2k3 on the biggesstt screens everrs!!11' then start thinking again cuz it sucks.

they have a 40 inch screen at best buy for 2800 bucks that does 1280 x 768. I dont know the DPI but that is prolly the most affordable screen with nice resolution. I think gateway is making some screens like it now but anyways.
kanibaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
Baidieneriy

I dont really care if it doesnt have THE BEST L33T graphics....i just wanna play it on something bigger than 800 x 600....
Old 12-27-2002, 12:52 PM   #8
Toxx

Originally posted by Baidieneriy
I dont really care if it doesnt have THE BEST L33T graphics....i just wanna play it on something bigger than 800 x 600....
What operating system do you have? What kind of card is it? (Gainward, MSI?)

The way I have my TV-Out set up is as follows (I have an MSI card):

I right click my desktop or whatever and go to properties. I then go to settings. There, I have an option box that says "Extend desktop to this monitor". It is checked automatically for your primary monitor. (Your Computer Screen.)

There should be a drop down menu somewhere here that allows you to select a different monitor. (There should be 2 options, your default and then another). Select the other monitor and click the extend to desktop button.

I am allowed to re-adjust my screen to 1024x768 at 32bit color. This however doesn't give me the best quality text. (Good luck playing Everquest with this text quality, you need like "OMG SUPER GIANT TEXT" in order to decipher words.

Do you have nView? I think it's standard software with most nVidia cards that come with the drivers.

I use TV-Out for watching Divx movies and winamp visual plug-ins. It has few other uses.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:53 PM   #9
Baidieneriy

GeForce 3....Nvidia.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:30 PM   #10
Toxx

Hmm, I don't know dude. My MSI geforce 4 ti4200 is set up like I said. That's really the only way I know how to work it. If you do have the program called nView (Mine came with the software for my card) try figuring that out.

Right Click Desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Click "Advanced...". There should be an nView tab (If you think you have nView). If you have nView, just click Clone and it should make your TV have the exact same thing as your monitor.

That's the best I can do for you Baid, I'm really not a techy. =\
Old 12-28-2002, 10:39 AM   #11
Baidieneriy

Thanks alot bro, i dont have Nview, so ill just go pick up a GeForce 4.....thanks for the help.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:23 PM   #12
Kemora

Send a message via AIM to Kemora
Odds are your TV isn't going to work with anything over 800x600... you CAN get TVs capable of 1024x768, but they are extremely expensive (as posted above). Most TVs are only going to go up to 800x600.

Also, TV's look really horrible. Text will be extremely hard to read. Honestly I think you're just waisting your money... TVs really aren't made for computer applications.

AIM: Kemorakementari
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:35 PM   #13
Umbrae

you really cannot get large than 800x600 on a TV. unless you have a really really high end video card (I have only seen one ever that did better than that)
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:12 PM   #14
gojirra monk

Ever notice that the text in movies and TV shows are always huge? There is a reason for that...

Remember the PC Jr, Commodore 64, Atari 7200 and other systems with TV out? Remember 40x25 text resolution?

I recently saw a review of a 42" plasma display, apparently a very nice one if the ten thousand dollar price tag is any indication, and it's native resolution was around 900 by 700 (with 1.08mm pixels).

Even if the card will let you select a high resolution for TV out, the NTSC CRTC will filter it down to something that won't make your TV cry.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:22 AM   #15
Danzin

Just to add my 2cp's worth I saw someone asking about a plasma screen being used...well I don't have the money to fork out to try this fortunatly my work center does and is going to do so. It been order and is on the way a 52 in plasma screen that will and I repeat will be hooked up to the PC. Now so some of you out there don't go and get all crazy on me this in not a Plasma television but a 52inch plasma monitor...and yes they do exist. When I see it up and running I'll post again...till then just an idea if you have the 7-12k to spend on that size of a screen.
"Through my friends I am strong, alone I am but a simple grain of sand lost amidst an ocean of waves!"

Magelo

Last edited by Danzin; 12-30-2002 at 04:05 AM.
Danzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:38 PM   #16
Umbrae

7-12K pfft pocket change. . . what do you mean you don't take plat??
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote