Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2002, 08:57 PM   #26
Daka

Default partition

Did you partition it fat32?

These are the steps Id take at this time.

Zero out drive.

Boot cdrom reinstall WinXP Pay attention to size of partition. You should stick with NTFS btw its faster and more stable than Fat32 it is also prone to less virus attacks that go after the FAT 32 file system.

It sounds like you are on the right track. I havent come accross this issue before. Does your Mobo have raid onboard?

Daka.
Daka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 08:59 PM   #27
Daka

Default Zero out

In the western digital diag portion go to the Diagnostics portion of the progarm there should be the selection to write zeros to HDD. Its there you just have to find it. Dont go to Installation portoin of the disk.

Daka
Old 12-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #28
mallar

Send a message via AIM to mallar
it is ntfs already...win xp isnt no that drive, so it doesnt pay attention to it during install (the other drive is only 20gb, so its fat32)...its not a raid drive.....browsing the forums now :/
mallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:10 PM   #29
Daka

Default Slave HDD

So this is a secondary HDD? is it slave on the primary IDE cable?

Are you useing a UDMA 40pin 80cunductor ribbon cable? Is the slave drive in middle of ribbon and is the blue part of ribbon connected to Mobo? The drives should be slave in middle and Master on end of cable. This is recomended across the board by ALL manu's. They must have a reason for it.

Im off, Good luck ill check back later tomorrow Merry Christmas.

Daka.

Last edited by Daka; 12-24-2002 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:49 PM   #30
Adom Wraithbane

Default Windows

When you initially installed your version of windows on the computer, did you make a boot disk like the program asked you?

If you made a boot disk, insert it into the A: drive and reboot your computer. It will boot up and give you a A: command prompt. Type in Fdisk. This is where you can partition your harddrive into multiple sections, unpartition, make master dos partition and several other things like 1 large harddrive. If your not familiar with Fdisk let me know I can walk you through it here. Once you have done the partitioning, you will exit program and format each section that you partitioned. This can also be ran from the A: drive boot disk.
Adom Wraithbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 02:03 AM   #31
Barridor

Send a message via ICQ to Barridor
fdisk doesnt work on drives over 35gb anymore and winxp doesnt use it. Sounds like a mobo issue to me , check with abit and make sure the board has large drive support. Being a kt333 chipset it shoudl though. And again especially if this is a secondary drive try manually installing it.
Barridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 07:45 AM   #32
mallar

yes, this is a secondary drive...slave on the primary ide......everything is hooked up right because it used to work and ih avent touched it since..also, i would assume the drive just wouldnt be recognized....

im just gonna wait to call abit when they open back up =T
Old 12-25-2002, 08:07 AM   #33
mallar

how would i go about uninstalling the drive totally from the computer as if it never existed (so the motherboard doesnt it pick it up and if i went on winxp it would bring up the new hardware tool) .. and then installing the drive again?
Old 12-25-2002, 08:52 AM   #34
mallar

now this is weird....

in the wd diagnostic thingy

install drive reports it as a full 80gb drive
writing zeros reports it as a 33.8gb drive (but does report my 20gb drive as 20gb)

wtfux?
Old 12-25-2002, 02:19 PM   #35
Daka

Default Mobo

Yep sounds like Mobo. WDdiag utilities is using the Cylinders heads and sectors reported by the Mobo. Thats what it sounds like.
After you write zeros to it and go into Drive maintance it should come up as unpartitiond space and probably only as 30+ GB drive.

Try this,
Take the 80GB off the primary and Unplug ALL CDROM's or Drives that are on the secondary channel. Make sure you change the Jumpers on the 20GB. If its a WD just take the jumper off. Then plug the 80 into the Secondary IDE with no jumper and NO other drive plugged in. Make sure its at the end of the cable. Then see what its read at.

Daka.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:29 PM   #36
mallar

well now windows is saying its 74.5gb even tho when the comp is loading up its like

primary master: 20230598mb or something
primary slave: 3583058mb or something
dvd
cd rw

but whatever, i dont care what it says as long as i get all 80gb so im happy =T
Old 12-25-2002, 04:31 PM   #37
Daka

Default Grats

Well at least you got all 80. Good luck with it.

Daka
Old 12-25-2002, 09:44 PM   #38
Adom Wraithbane

Default Fdisk

Maybe cause your using XP you cant fdisk an 80g hd. I have a 40g hd in my computer with ME and I can Fdisk the 40. So, your 35g thing is false unless its just XP's screwing up.
Adom Wraithbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:30 AM   #39
darue_ivywood

Actually..Fdisk (or FAT32 large drive support) will work up to 2 Terabytes.

and, XP does NOT have an Fdisk command.

(nor does it have a scandisk command ..it uses the old DOS Chkdsk *why?* who the hell knows)
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote