Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2002, 10:11 AM   #1
Cthen

Send a message via AIM to Cthen
Default Reformatting..What to save?

Well, I'm reformatting my hard drive so I can take it out, replace it with a new, bigger one, and give the old one to my grandmother. The thing is, I'm on a 56k modem, and downloading a brand new patch will take hours upon hours.....soooooo, what files should I pop onto a CD-R and bring to the new drive to save me some time? Thanks in advance.
Cthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

What OS do you use?
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
Andredien

With any luck, your new hard disk will come with a migration utility diskette (I know Western Digital and IBM have them), which works like this:

You hook up your new drive as a slave, and the original as master (or vice-versa, but it'll say in the manual) and then boot off the diskette. The one I had then offered to move the partition(s) off the old disk onto the new one, with the extra option of making the new partition as large as possible for whatever OS you're using.

After that, if the new drive was set as slave, you set it as master, remove the old disk, reboot and presto, your system's as good as new, plus a bucketload of disk space.

If your new disk doesn't have such a utility, use something like Partition Magic to do the job, that way you don't have to worry about what to save and all that grief.

"Nobody notices what I do - until I stop doing it." -- Ancient Bard Motto
Andredien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
TalvaranRW

i would do your mp3's it's a MAJOR pain to have to redownload them
TalvaranRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
darue_ivywood

If'n you want to truely re-format and clean it up...

Dont do the disk copy thing that was mentioned previously. By doing that, your just copying the trash and OS cluster f#$% over to your new drive.

Not sure what you would need for EQ, but im guessing if you just backed up the directory over to CD, put new drive in, installed original game CD's(for .dll's and what not), and then copied the backed up EQ directory back to its location (overwriting original files in directory)and then doing the complete file scan, that should take care of it.

But if you want to just copy the entire old drive over to a new drive, the disk copy thing *sometimes* works. Due to length of file names, it can sometimes FUBAR your system as most migration utilities are written in DOS which dont handle lengthy names very well. Better if you use Nortons Ghost for that type of job(awesome program IMO).

And definitly back your MP3's up.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:55 AM   #6
Daka

Default HDD swap

If EQ is a concern as well. The entire directory can be placed on another HDD and ran. You dont have to use the installation. I migrate to all my systems from one local drive that keeps a backup of full EQ directory. I back it up once a month JIC. Just copy and paste from one drive to another.

As far as Imaging drive, Ghost works fast and well. But to be honest sometimes a fresh start is best. Install new Operating system and updates then plug old HDD in as slave or on second channel and copy paste. Format the "OLD" drive and make it bootable and add Cabs if your using win98. Then place in other system and boot to HDD no cd needed. Run setup out of cabs directory on your grandmas system. Or just Image her drive when your all done so its easy for her.

One more thought. Remember when coping data to CDR/RW remember the attributes change to read only. That means if you have files that need to change during a reinstall off the CD then you have to copy them to HDD and make turn off Read only attribute. This happens a lot when backing up mail to CDR.

Good luck.

Daka
Daka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:56 AM   #7
Ziktiny

Send a message via ICQ to Ziktiny Send a message via AIM to Ziktiny Send a message via Yahoo to Ziktiny
Bring all of your .ini files (it has been a while, are all of the character and eqclient config files inis now?), your current .exe files and any ui files to the new system. If you have time/CDs you should also grab all of your zone files. If you really want to be safe, just bring everything, but I am assuming you don't want to span multiple CD ROMs.

Finally retired
Ziktiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:04 PM   #8
Ojuillean

dun forget to save the pr0n. :eek:
Old 12-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
Cthen

Send a message via AIM to Cthen
that was the first thing I backed up .

In all seriousness, thanks for the help. I'm running Windows 98. CD's really isn't a problem, so I guess I'll just backup everything from EQ, just to be safe. And all that stuff with hooking up 2 hard drives and the such is too complicated. It took me 1/2 an hour to set up the master/slave configuration with my DVD drive and CD-RW.
Cthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #10
Daka

Default 98 CD

The nice thing about putting cabs on drive and installing from that locatoin is that the registry places that path in itself so it will never ask for the 98 CD. On occasion (sp) when you install of the cdrom after the initial install it wont load CD drivers. so you are hosed without the cdrom drivers.

I realize that you can move cabs on later and edit registry to locate them but its just easier from the start. At any rate good luck and Merry Christams.

Daka.
Daka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 11:11 PM   #11
Adom Wraithbane

Default Files

Well, to prevent yourself from running any patch updates after installing a new operating system or a restore from a complete whip of a existing system, here is what you can do.

I have 1 hard drive. I have 2gb of that drive partitioned so I can use it for storage of files I will always keep. If you have a similar setup like me or perhaps have another harddrive in the same computer you can do this as well.

Double-click on My Computer, double-click on the drive that contains your currently installed everquest and locate the folder where you installed everquest. Most often it will be C:/Program Files/Everquest. Using mouse highlight the directory that everquest game files are in. For me it is the above. Right-click on the mouse and options window appears. Click on "Copy". Now navigate through the "My computer" work area and locate your alternate harddrive. Right-click on the mouse and the options window appears and click "Paste". All your everquest files will be copied to that harddrive.

Now, when all the files have been copied over to the other directory, you can format your old harddrive. Install your operating system for the drive like you normally would. Install all everquest software programs you have. I have the original and all the expansion sets so it does take a little time to install all these. Once you have installed all expansions, Go to the directory where you copied the everquest files to. Right-click and "Copy" that directory. Find the directory that everquest was stored to when you did this new install. Paste the files over the new files. Once this is complete, run the patch program. The only time that you might have to download any files is if you did this between a patch. Then you would have to download and new patch information.

I have a cable internet connection so I do not do this all the time, so there might be some adjustments you might need to make to get this to work. I know it has worked for me in the past. I went home for Christmas last year and knew my mother has a 26.4 internet connection due to where her house is located so far from a router box. I pre made a cd disk and compressed all my EQ files to it. Got to her house, installed the game like normal and uncompressed all the files from my cd. When I connected, I didn't have to wait to download anything.

Hope this helps you some.
Adom Wraithbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 12:35 PM   #12
Treage

Geesh,

I thought I had something contructive to add, but Ojuillean
beat me to it!
Treage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:19 AM   #13
Rorinthas

Send a message via ICQ to Rorinthas
make sure you have disks for all of your hardware drivers and if you don't be sure to download them while your computer is still up and running, especially your modem. Youmay not have your modem disk if it was preinstalled.
Rorinthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 03:01 AM   #14
Kerryn

Set priorities right for back-up and reformat.

1 Modem Drivers/Network Card Drivers - If you have these you can get everything else.

2 Direct X + Graphics Drivers ( Only because 20megs on dial-up hurts when you want to be up and running fast.

3 Documents - Your own personal files, work etc. You can't download these anywhere.

4 MP3 - Chances are you wont remember what you had until it's gone.

5 Game Patches - Which silly bastard thought it was a good idea to make the Half-Life and CounterStrike patches over 200mb?

5 EQ and Ini files - With PoP it's not really a priority any more. Even installing fresh it only takes 30 mins to download the patch on dial-up. Ini file is a must.

6 Sound Drivers - Usually only 4mb or so and very few of the sound driver cards will run on generic Windows drivers.

Personally I have 2 hard drives in my computer. 1 is formatted into system ( 5gb ), Back-up ( 3gb ) Documents ( 2gb )and programs ( 30gb ).

The second runs EQ, Jedi Knight 2 and CS because I need them to load fast.

Back-up contains a working copy of a nvidia graphics driver, all my ini files for all programs, programs like Tweak UI, System Mechanic, virus definitions.

This means I can format the c drive taking windows and all the crap with it. I can remove programs at this time without losing anything else just be deleting the files, and I never have to worry about deleting important spreadsheets.

Plus I can bring my computer up to speed without even having to download anything.

Need to get a DVD burner though because my back-up drive isnt big enough for all the pr0n.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 04:18 AM   #15
Ojuillean

Need to get a DVD burner though because my back-up drive isnt big enough for all the pr0n.
Amen brother!
Old 12-28-2002, 07:40 PM   #16
rayndor1.0

Send a message via AIM to rayndor1.0
Best Buy now sells smart hard drives that zip all pr0n files that are downloaded onto it. No more running out of hard drive space ever again!!!

They come in sizes 5,10 and 20 gigaboobs.
rayndor1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote