Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 08:57 AM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default Un-banning Accounts

I heard in guild chat last night that since EQ will be coming out with a windowed version soon, that all accounts that were banned because of use of EQ Windows will be reinstated.

I don't know if this is a farce or not...just wanted to confirm it here.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
The EQ Devs said that themselves. Except what person in their right mind who got a big ol EQ Dev boot up their ass out of EQ for using EQW would come crawling back to and start playing their game again?

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:10 AM   #3
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
I've never heard of anyone being banned for EQW ... and I'd have been very surprised if they banned anyone for it even if that person was monumentally stupid enough to mention they were using it in-game (it's entirely undetectable by any other means. Or so I hear).

Does it really happen?
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:44 AM   #4
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Generally with the way you're supposed to run EQW (none of the EQW files to into the EQ folder) they shouldn't be able to detect you running it anyway. The EQ Devs made rules stating they could hack into your computer and check for hacks when ever they wanted, where ever they wanted. Though the player base stood up and said against this for privacy reasons, which the Devs came back and said "Okay, we'll only hack into your EQ Folder, and that's as far as we'll go." (thus the reasons Firewalls don't work very well with EQ). So the only way the EQ Devs would be able to spot you using EQW is if you unloaded the files into the EQ folder and ran it from there. Unless the EQ Devs are lying thieving scu-err... hmm...

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
I'm reasonably sure that if they scanned outside your EQ folder (or scanned your process list as they were once considering) without the EULA giving them permission, they'd be breaking various laws that they could get sued for
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #6
Umbrae

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/commu...w.jsp?id=53400
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
Blytzz
Banned User

haha
Blytzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:37 PM   #8
Frekkels

Default Everquestlive.come BS

Hail,
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/commu...w.jsp?id=53438
(next article down)
Hah! That's funny. The Linksys BEFSR41 Router problems that plagued many were believed to be CAUSED by a firmware change from an update.

The most common solution wasn't updating your firmware, it was reverting back to the previous OLD version. Since then, they may have fixed that with yet another firmware upgrade...I don't know & frankly don't care. As long as my machines both run & play EQ, I'm happy.

Take care,
Frekkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #9
Treage

I don't think that EQW was what they were interested in as much as ShowEQ. The latter actually can affect regular gameplay since it discloses mobs and what they have for loot, whereas the former is harmless to an extent.

It used to be different before they moved everything serverside though. With enough technical savy and a second networked computer randoms wouldn't be quite so "random".
Treage is offline   Reply With Quote