Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 12:24 PM   #51
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: Birren

Hmm 50 elves 10000 orcs. Damn Birren those are tough odds
for anyone really.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:47 PM   #52
Théodwyn

I think Arnwolf is right regarding Faramir. I guess we'll have to see.....

Theo
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:50 PM   #53
Kemora

Send a message via AIM to Kemora
After seeing it a few more times, I don't really think Frodo is as weak as he came across the first time I saw it.

Guess another way to look at it, if they just showed up at Mt. Doom and Frodo said, "I'm keeping the ring hahaha!" most of the audience would of been like "huh? he was resisting it just fine!". It started in FotR, and it's more apparant in TT the way the ring has sway over him.. but I also think they did a good job of showing Frodo trying to fight the ring, and for the most part winning...

AIM: Kemorakementari
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:10 PM   #54
wizard61
Banned User

NT
wizard61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 09:02 PM   #55
kanya

Send a message via ICQ to kanya
i read this thread a few days ago after i watched the movie for the first time. i went again tonight because beba hadn't seen it yet and rand and i opted to go with him so he wouldn't have to go alone.

this time around, rather than be absorbed by what i was seeing, i watched it with a bit more of a removed feeling to see what i thought of the issues brought up here.

i recently read an article in TIME magazine regarding this newest installment of the lord of the rings, so i went to find the full interview that the article had excerpts from. i found it here:

http://www.greencine.com/article?act...62&pageID=104&

i think some of you will like it because it addresses exactly these issues. it also made me feel quite perceptive, as the reasons they state for the changes they made were those that i (more or less) deduced on my own after watching the movie again.

namely...the fact that character creation and story development MUST take different paths in books vs movies. books have the luxury of relying strongly on the internal...movies do not, and i think that fueled many, if not all, of the changes, whether great or small, in the telling of the story of the two towers.

there are large parts of the interview that do not pertain to this discussion, but they give insight into the mind of the creator, and that, in turn, allows for a greater understanding of the 'why the changes were made' question.

kanya
kanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 10:20 PM   #56
Pankeleonn

Send a message via AIM to Pankeleonn
Default Look at this!

Ian McKellen is gay.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:10 AM   #57
Théodwyn

Kanya,

Great article! Thank you.

Despite whatever reservations I had, or may have still lingering, I do not think it can be doubted that Peter Jackson is proving to be an incredible film-maker, especially given the gargantuan undertaking that he has embarked upon.

Whatever my opinions as a Tolkien purist, his film-making is marvelous.

Theo
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:14 AM   #58
Ziktiny

Send a message via ICQ to Ziktiny Send a message via AIM to Ziktiny Send a message via Yahoo to Ziktiny
Pank,
Yeah, so?

Finally retired
Ziktiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 10:35 AM   #59
Pankeleonn

Send a message via AIM to Pankeleonn
so.......................

If i was gay, i'd bang him!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:40 AM   #60
Arynduil

Default Arnwolf

Damn you, Arnwolf. You make too much sense.

"Now there's no more Oak oppression, for they passed a noble law. And the Trees are all kept equal, by hatchet, axe, and saw..."
Arynduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:44 PM   #61
Laoke

Default !

On a side note, one of my longest friends was the assistant to Richard Taylor, the post-production guy, here in NZ.

According to her, TTT is the movie which strays the furtherest from the books. Apparently Phillippa Boyen (one of the writers) has been heard as saying "If you played Faramir as he's portrayed in the book, he'd come across as the most boring, 2-dimensional character in the world.

In any regard, from what I've seen & heard (ah, the joys of someone making a movie like this in a country like NZ... all of the geeks in Wellington either worked on it or know someone who did : ) the Return of the King is both much truer to the books AND a superior movie to TTT. In all honesty, I always felt that the TTT was the weakest part of the Trilogy.

And while I'm still of the opinion that the LoTR is vastly over-rated, I have to admit to it being superior to 95% of the crap out there.

Oh, incidentally, there's an Exhibition of Middle-Earth on at Te Papa (the NZ national muesem) which is due to go touring soon. Well worth seeing if it's in your area... it's got such goodies as the original cast costumes & weaponry. Check it out at http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/rings/
Laoke is offline   Reply With Quote