Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 03:18 AM   #1
Diwahabulin

Default New Location/Tech Problem

Hi all,

I recently moved to Okinawa Japan and got (what seemed to be) lucky and am living on a base that can getWireless 1.6M Internet from a company called Fad-Tec.

Seemed great as its unlimited and faster than dial up. Also since most other bases on Okinawa are limited to dial up with a limit from 80 hrs to 120 hrs per month.

So I got it and logged on but within 10 mins or so of loggon I go LD.

First I downloaded all the latest drivers and made sure that my GF4, SBAudigy and 3com lan card where on seperate IRQs by themselves just to make sure of no conflicts.

I talked to a Sony Rep and they said its probably something to do with my service being wirless satallite.

So I contacted my ISP techs and they tried to explain to me what the problem might be and I should tell VI this to see if they have a workaround.

So now I am here hoping someone can explain what I am trying to say in english or even if they have an idea to solve my problem.

The ISP tech said that I am on a "network inside a netwrok" or a private network and that Everquest runs on a 209 network (no clue what that means) and that I am on a 10.

Lastly the tech said that in order to fix the problem VI would have to "allow me access" or something like that.

Anyone get anything I just tried to explain otherwise I will have to suck it up and go with 56k 120h limit EQ.

Help
Old 12-12-2002, 04:42 AM   #2
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Have you gone to the everquest folder and adjusted your datarate.txt?

If not, find that file, and change the value to 9.0...see if that helps.

Arnwolf
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 05:44 AM   #3
Gonada

Send a message via ICQ to Gonada
wirless satallite <--- might have something todo with it :/
Gonada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:29 AM   #4
Ziktiny

Send a message via ICQ to Ziktiny Send a message via AIM to Ziktiny Send a message via Yahoo to Ziktiny
Wireless satellite usually has a huge amount of lag. It takes time to bounce a packet off a satellite.

Finally retired
Ziktiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:35 AM   #5
darue_ivywood

Propagation Delay...ick!

Also, if your on a 'network inside a network' you could be experiencing router issues. Usually requires a port forwarding/trigerring of some kind.

Basically from what he is saying (allthough he coulda explained it better..sounds like he was tryin to be a dick) is that EQ is on a Broadcasted public network..ie 209, and your on a private network.. ie 10, so you would NEED to pass through a router to connect to the outside world.

So, I would bet its the router port forwarding/firewall thats causing you grief..and the prop. delay isnt helpin much either.

--edit--

and as far as telling you that ' VI would have to allow you access'..the dude is a TOOL!. Even though 209 is public, tell him they DO allow you access...Login Name / Password...Correct?

But, like I said, the Prop. Delay wont help much either.

Last edited by darue_ivywood; 12-12-2002 at 08:21 AM.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:20 AM   #6
Diwahabulin

Default ughhh

Thanks for the suggestions.

And yeah the ISP tech seems to be a lazy ass. He even said yup billyjojimbob we have had problems with everquest and if you find a fix can ya let us know. JESUS so youve know of a problem and dont fix it. THen he says well at least you could logg on, others couldnt even get into the game.

I am tired of this middle man shiat. ISP will talk to SOE or I will write my CO to get out of this ISP (yes its a one year contract suprise suprise).

Only reason i got this is for its unlimited and faster speeds. Either fix it or im gone.

Also did try 7.0 before on that text file and did try your 9.0 still went ld but thanks for all the help.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
Diwahabulin

Default weeeeeeeee

Hello again more info from VI Tech

They said that since I am on a private network I need to either get a public IP or enable ports 1024-65534.

Question is what does that enabling ports mean. Does it mean that any port witht he number 1024 thru 65534 can be enabled or is there one port called 1024-65534.

Also can I do this from my computer or does my ISP have to do this?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #8
darue_ivywood

It means if you have a router to pass through (ie from your PC to the outside world) you need to forward those ports to allow for game play.

It is not denoting one port, or any port, but all those ports..or more specifically, that range of ports.

If your on a military base, I am betting thats where the router/firewall is housed. Most likely to keep the base wired on an inTRAnet connection, that will have access to the inTERnet connection.

You would need to talk to whomever controls the computers' internet connection to the military institution to allow your IP address to have those ports forwarded.

If, however, the ISP controls such things...well, IMO, thats one eff'd up ISP. (unless they have some type of contract with the military institution..but that would be like a conflict of interests I would think)

If however you have the router inside your housing, then you can do it yourself, but from what you posted earlier, I believe this not to be the case.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
Diwahabulin

Default weeeeeee

Ok thanks but lets say theoretically that I could enable those ports from my computer how would it be done?
Old 12-14-2002, 09:19 PM   #10
Diwahabulin

Default bahhh

Waiting the weekend untill I can call my ISP and tell them what ports to enable if its them that does it.

But where in my computer can i physically view that those ports are disabled. Even if grayed out so i cannot change them I would still love to see that thats the exact problem.

Anyone know?

Thanks again.

God I never played PS2 so much on one weekend.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:44 PM   #11
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Coming from a person that works on military networks, I'd say that the problem is definitely with the base firewall. I know that if I hook my PC up to the network at work (yeah, the government can legally claim my computer if they see it on the net, but oh well :|) and attempt to connect to EQ (via normal EQ or thru EQW) it doesn't work. The firewall blocks those ports.

But, being that you/re at home and not at work, there should be no limitations on your connection like that.
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 10:53 PM   #12
Diwahabulin

Yeah I am at home but this High Speed Internet is a reletively new thing on okinawa for all services.

It use to be one choice Connect 56k with either 80 hr/mo or 120 hr/mo.

But now some locations are able to get unlimited Satalite Internet which from my tests is just below cable.

Problem seems to be they made it a private network and those ports i listed above are probably disabled by default and they never thought to enable them.

Being the weekend here I was hoping to physically see the ports being disabled from my end so I know to tell them to enable them.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:59 PM   #13
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
You won't be able to see that, it's a firewall setting.
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote