Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 11:02 AM   #1
cnjmorris

Default Bad Case of the Stupids.

Okay, I will never be a teacher. My ability to explain things to others is severely lacking. Taking it one step further I often find myself looking at a math problem and knowing the answer, but having no clue how I arrived at said answer.

Hello problem, come on in... see, the problem I face presents itself in the form of a teacher who constantly (and rightfully so) tells me "show more work."

Soo.... could someone tell me how I would show work for the following problem (the ^ is used to show powers, x^2 is x to the 2nd). I know about the FOIL method and I truly did arive at the provided answer, its just my head skips steps and assumes things when doing the work.

Factor.
12m^2 + 20m +3

The answer is (6m+1)(2m+3)
(6m)(2m) + (6m)(3) + (1)(2m) + (1)(3)
12m^2 + 18m + 2m + 3
I just don't know how to properly reperesent the trial and error approach to finding the factors.

If you have the time, thanks =)
Old 09-30-2002, 11:19 AM   #2
Martigan

She probably wants to see that you tried other numbers on paper (instead of in your head) before coming up with the number 6m. Example:

12m^2+20m+3

(3m+3)(4m+1) ... don't work
(3m+1)(4m+3) ... don't work
blah blah blah...and so on and so forth...
(6m+3)(2m+1) ... don't work
...until...
(6m+1)(2m+3) AHA! Jackpot!

Maybe something like that? I don't know, it's been about 9 years since I took a math class.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
cnjmorris

She? Did you have a mean female math teacher? =)

Yeah.. I thought something like that... guess when you don't know how to show work its hard to know what is going to be acceptable.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
Darue Ivywood

I had an algebra teacher who wanted all the work as well.

What they are looking for is something like this..

esd.iu5.org/lessonplans/h...Number%201

basically to get the class ready for the quadratic equations and numberline scheme.

Old 09-30-2002, 12:17 PM   #5
bumblefumble

Default UUHHHH....

My cat's breath smells like cat food.....
Old 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
eronj

ok with this problem, there is no need to factor everything before hand. ie 12m^2+30m+3= (6m)(2m)+ (15m)(2)+ (1)(3). You should be able to do that in your head unless the number is a large one.

Probably the easiest way to show your work would be to start with the problem and start to reverse foil.ie
12m^2+30m+3= (6m + ?) (2m + ?)

Then fill in the ?'s with factors of 3. 3 is prime so there shouldnt be too many =). Then foil that answer to see if its right. If its not, reverse the factors of 3. ie (6m+3)(2m+1)=12m^2+12m+3 (wrong).... and (6m+1)(2m+1) =12m^2+30m+3 yureaka!

That should be enough to show your work. I hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:23 AM   #7
Tanuden

eronj is on the right track, but he puts the unknowns as the factors of three, which IMHO is wrong because of the reasons he states (three is a prime number).

So I would do it this way, using reverse foil.

1. 12m^2+20m+3

From the problem we know that we need to break it down to this initially:

(A*m + 1) (B*m + 3).

The factors of 3 are {1,3}, and since all signs are positive the signs in the factors also have to be positive. You need to solve for A and B with the factors of 12, which are {1,2,3,4,6,12}.

2. Solve 3*A + B = 20, where A and B are the factors of 12.

If A = 12, B = 1, and 3A + B = 36... too much A.
If A = 3, B = 4, and 3A + B = 13... too little A.
If A = 6, B = 2, and 3A + B = 20... equation works.

3. Plug into result of 1 and get (6m + 1)(2m + 3).

There is probably a way to solve for A and B in step two with two equations in two unknowns, but I kept ending up with a squared term, which means you would have to solve for the variables in another quadratic equation, and that didn't make sense to me. Your algebra book probably has a method of solving for the constants.

Hope this helps. Its been a while since I had to look at this stuff .
Old 10-01-2002, 08:39 AM   #8
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Hmm?

Drop out of college Cendan. You're wasting your time. If the numbers don't pertain to DPS, Flowing Thought, or the AC soft cap, they don't matter.

Nekiah Dragonsbane
Old 10-01-2002, 09:15 AM   #9
cnjmorris

Default Re: Hmm?

Nekiah, I am 27 with no degree and no job. For too long I did nothing because I didn't know what to do. Finally I decided that a degree, used or not, is a good start.

I figure I will experience things, and even if I don't come out of this knowing what I want to do... I should still come out of it knowing a few things I don't want to do.

I know you were being sarcastic.. but I got over the EQ addiction a long time ago. I just use it as something to do while I chat. I would get a lot more done though if friends would log in to ICQ more... then I could do more productive things while I talk.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:38 PM   #10
SplitlipFelix

Default Re: Hmm?

That's math? Thank god i'm an idiot and therefore am exempt from silliness like that.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:00 PM   #11
Lurkerr the Wizard

Default .

I love you Cendan! Im your biggest fan! YEAH! Woo! GOOOOOOOOO CENDAN!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!