Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 06:01 PM   #1
Waeolwen

Question Warrior AA points

I was wondering if anyone might be able to either direct me to someplace that would give me some more info on what AA's I should use on my warrior... Or just post what they did (preferably in the order that they did em...)

He has Run 3 already and I just can't figure out where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
Qris

Send a message via AIM to Qris
After run I went into Innate Stamina. I'll never have 255 stamina and I'm a human so I figure I need all the help I can get. Three points of hp per tick seems so insignificant

Qris - 57 Myrmidon of Norrathian Collective
Qris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
Egat

Send a message via Yahoo to Egat
The Steel Warrior is a very good resource for you to check out. Here is a break down although some if it is still debated. Generally the widest accepted AA progression for warriors is...

General:
Run Speed 3
Innate Regeneration 3

Archetype:
Natural Durability 3
Combat Stabilty 3
Combat Agility 3

Class:
Area Taunt
Physical Enhancement

All others are just icing on the cake, but you get the most impact as a warrior by having these. I think you will find that if you check the recruiting requirements for the top guilds you will see they want about the same for their warriors.

I left out the new PoP AA stuff, lots of good stuff in there also.
Egat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
Kogur
Phatty!

First of all, let me just say this...HIT POINTS and if that wasn't clear enough H I T P O I N T S.

My list of AA's and the way I am going with them/went with them.. might help you out some. =)

Run3(Neccessity for any potential puller/chicken sh*t running class IMO) - Run Faster

Regen3(Get them HP back and add to the regen buffs, believe it or not this does help) - Regen Faster

Natural Durability 3 - More Hitpoints!

Physical Enhancement - More Hitpoints!

Area Taunt - Warrior's best friend, I kid you not this is the single greatest thing that VI gave us as a taunting class.

Combat Agility 3 - Better chance to completely avoid hits, thus preserving Hitpoints!

Combat Stability 3 - Increases your effectiveness at damage mitigation, thus preserving Hitpoints!

Combat Fury 3 - Increase the damage and frequency of your critical/crippling hits, thus preserving Hitpoints(of your group/raid mates, by keeping aggro on you more effectively)!

Flurry 3 - Gives you a chance to swing your primary hand an extra 2 times, thus preserving Hitpoints(of your group/raid mates, by keeping aggro on you more effectively)!

Double Riposte 3 - Gives you a chance to riposte twice instead of once, thus preserving Hitpoints(of your group/raid mates, by keeping aggro on you more effectively)!

At this point it is debatable...but I think up to that point you are fairly safe and most warriors with high amount of AA points would agree that what I have listed is a good way to go.

Hope that helps, and it should keep you busy for a while. =)
Kogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
Qanadan
Supporter

What kind of regen do you get from regen3. How many HP per tick do you get? anyone know?
Qanadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:01 PM   #6
Qris

I'm pretty sure you get one point of HP per tick for every point you spend in Regen. So with Regen 3 you'd get three extra points of HP per tick. Which, like I said, seems pretty insignificant...

And to the guy who said HIT POINTS. You do know that Stamina = Hit Points? Which is why I chose to go with Innate Stamina. So as long as you're going to go for hit points think of it this way, do you want to regain lost hit points faster or have more hit points to begin with?

Old 12-02-2002, 09:42 PM   #7
Frekkels

Default AA points

Hail,

I disagree (rather strongly, but this is General, so I'll just leave it at that) with Qris.

Obtaining Run3 was the right choice in my opinion for your first 3.
Regen 3 is a no brainer for the next 3. The route for those first 6 AA points works for MANY classes.
I'd recommend ND3 after that, but others might argue spending elsewhere. Once you get there, you'll likely have a better feel for AA points and where you want to put them.

I also recommend visiting the Steel Warrior & any other class specific sites you can access.

Good luck,
Frekkels
Frekkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:17 PM   #8
Théodwyn

I find that effectiveness of a character derives a lot from the player. Yes, I know you were asking about the game mechanic AA points. But in the spirit of Alternate Advancement, I recommend you undertake tasks as a player to hone your skills, thereby translating to your effectiveness as a warrior.

As a monk, I find that taking on the mentality of the avatar helps immensely. My effectiveness as a character in-game has seen many benefits from changes of mindset that I have taken on.

For instance, whenever danger lurks (ie. someone wants me to do something that I don't want to do -- boss, friend, relative, ex-wife), I have taken to playing dead. This has been very effective!

As a warrior, your hit points are a valuable statistic. HP as we know is derived from stamina.

Therefore exercises to increase stamina should translate to increased effectiveness. I find this to be a reasonable theory.

I therefore recommend that you undertake a rigorous exhaustive regimen of sex. Make sure your partner knows the broad benefits of this, one of them being your increased effectiveness as a warrior. You'll be glad you did.

Theo

(For some reason, my twisted sense of humour is very pronounced tonight. Sorry, I can't explain it either. Hope you got a laugh out of it, and took no offense. If you did, I may as well apologize now.)
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:16 AM   #9
Adom Wraithbane

Default Bind Wound

If you were able to get a buttload of AA prior to PoP coming out. I think that Bind wound skill might have its usefulness.

I am 59, my bind wound skill is 209. I bind about 85hp per bandage. Do not know the exact amount, but I think it is fairly close. The first three skills in AA allows you to bind life back from 70% after 201 then for each aa: 80% with 1aa, 90% with 2aa, 100% with 3aa. Then at level 59 you get more bonus to bind wound. The 3 point increases the amount you bind wound for 10%, 20% and finally 50%. If my bind wound was doing 85hp now, with that 3rd point in the level 59aa area, I would be able to bind 127hp per bandage.

Now that PoP is out at level 63 and 64, you get even more added bonus to the amount your bind wound heals for. Do not know anyone that has done this or has posted anywhere of how much exactly this increases the amount.

Why would this be useful? For instance, you were on a raid and had a severe whipout. Clerics start resing people. This takes a long time if the clerics do not have clickers. They have to res, heal, med for the next one. Casting Res does take a lot of mana to cast. They will have to sit and med to do more reses and heals. If you had your bind wound skill that high and cleric resed any caster class, you could bring them back to full health with 5 bandages. Most casters have 800hp max without any cloths on. How hard would it be for a mage to summon a bandage, or for yourself to stop and get some when you get your food/drink supplies. This would save the clerics some downtime since they didn't have to heal everyone after a res.

I was just tossing out a hypotetical... Not saying that I would do this since there are a lot of other great aa's you could spend it on.
Adom Wraithbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:51 AM   #10
Metzen
Supporter

no, Stamina can only go so high, Usually most warriors stop getting gear with stamin at about 210 because raid buffs bring them up to 255 and they usually go for Pure HP gear... And with the new Planer AAs and HP that is added from Stamina over 25... is not noticable
Metzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:43 AM   #11
Krrak

And to answer a question that seems to have been overlooked -
Regen adds 1hp of regen per level - this is both for the 51 AA's and the 55 AA's (or general and archetype) - so if you have spent a total of 15 points (to get both to level 3) you will be regenning 6hps per tick, and this regen doesn't care whether you are sitting, standing or FD'd.
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:27 AM   #12
korinn

According to a lot of the warriors on SteelWarrior the usual AA path is as follows:

Run 3
Regen 3 or Sta 3
ND3
AT

After that it's up to you. I would suggest pushing toward CA3 and CS3 then PE. Once you get all these defensive skills up then you can pretty much go any direction you want.

Korinn

Last edited by korinn; 12-03-2002 at 12:08 PM.
korinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:05 AM   #13
ragnerok

Default nt

wouldn't worry about stam in higher level you will max it out easy .right now if you could i would have almost 400 unbuff stam from gear as right now i have 305 i never worry about getting shammy stam buff.

but like kroger said hp's all the way.

ragnerok
65 overlord of magister
ragnerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:03 AM   #14
Kerryn

Qris, whereas STA might be good advice for you it might not be good advice to other people.

For one you're level 57 ( me too, no flame here ) and because of that you're still going to have some upgrading to come. Judging from the guild you're in, like me, your probably in mixed kunark, some SS gear at that level so that means that your stats will increase on a fairly regular basis.

I wouldn't be putting points into stats whilst they were fluctuating as they do at that level.

To do the proper comparison between STA and Regen you have to look at the fights you do and the formula for STA to HP.

From memory from reading various boards if your average fight lasts more then 2 mins 15 seconds then you're better with regen then STA but this is a rough guide.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:48 AM   #15
Kogur
Phatty!

First of all....Ragnerok! Kroger?! GAAH! lol

Anyway,

I wouldn't advise Stamina if you are looking at the long run, unless possibly you are a smaller race...If you are a larger race(ie. Barbarian, Troll and especially Ogre), then once you start getting into Myrmidon and better armors stamina becomes useless to you.

I have a high stamina to start with so I might not be ideal to compare to depending on your race, but with only 5 stamina in one hand and zero in the other, I hit 280(haven't done planar power yet, at which point it will be 305) with just the shaman buff talisman of the boar.

Most of my gear is a mix of both types of ToV(Kael and Skyshrine) armor and I have no armor past the ToV(NO NToV stuff /cry) level. Stamina may seem like a good choice until you start getting higher stamina gear, and then you have an excess of stamina...at which point you wasted points.

In conclusion, if you plan to see the high end game of EQ I advise against using points to gain extra stamina(unless yer an Elf of some type).
Old 12-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #16
Qris

Yes, I am 57 and I am thinking about the future. I'm a human, not an ogre or any other large race. I'm thinking realistically and I will never have 255 stamina and with that in mind, I'll never have 305 stamina with the Planar Power AA. I'd like to remind everyone that we're not all uber and we can't all just pick up an item with tons of stamina on it.

Before training in Stamina I asked two warriors from Magister (Ragnerok wasn't one of them) and they both said that stamina is the way to go for me. They realized that chances are I will never have the equip they have and that I am a human. Being from Magister, I'd consider them a pretty good source of information.

I'm wearing mostly Thurg armor (I know it's not the best but it's getting me by) and my stamina isn't even close to 255. I can't imagine that SS will give me what I need to have 255 and I honestly don't believe that I will come by too many items that will be better than SS armor.

So I would consider you race and consider your ability to improve your armor before training in either Regen or Stamina.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:55 AM   #17
Leleni

When I first started playing EQ and made Leleni, I had no idea how important one stat would be over the other. I did some roleplaying type stuff and since no one back then had uber gear it didn't seem to make too much difference. I dumped some starting points into strength, stamina, and agility at the beginning instead of pouring them all into stamina the way people generally seem to do now, so I know my stamina isn't as high as it could be. I may go back and dump some aa points into it, but it will be one of the last things I do since I hit my max stamina with buffs. Upping my base stamina would really only be a benefit in those situations where I don't have anyone to buff me.
Anyway, enough of that tangent. I spent my aa to get the following: Run 3, Regen 3, ND 3, AE Taunt, CS 3, CA 3, Physical Enhancement, Combat Fury 1, Planar Durability 3, Stalwart Endurance 1, and am currently working on Planar Power - still 2 levels to go in that.
I tend to agree with the people that are advising the "hit points first" approach. The more hit points you have, the longer you'll last in a fight. Most of my choices were made to make me better at tanking. Eventually I'll want to go back and work on the abilities that improve damage-dealing, but I didn't consider them as important as improving my damage-taking abilities.
Really, you should spend points to help your character be better at whatever you want to be better at. If you happen to be in a guild where you don't tank a lot and you want to do more damage then you can work on Combat Fury/Flurry/Ambidex instead of the CS/CA skills. Really, though, you can't go wrong with more HP either way you go.
Leleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #18
Morticea

As a Dark Elf I need hp... but I also need to balance this with being a guild MT... so not sure if I have gone right route, but so far I have done (and NOT in this order)....

Run Speed 3
Stamina 5 (did have Regen3 but when they refunded this I spent the points on Sta instead)
Natural Durability 3
Combat Stability 1 (this is what I am working on now)
Area Taunt
Advance Stamina 3
Planar Durability 1
Stalwart Endurance 1
Old 12-04-2002, 07:57 PM   #19
Ghuano

Look bub,
Do what ya want.
Dont listen to any of these yahoo's

After a couple levels and many more AA's, you cant really go wrong
Ghuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:21 PM   #20
Xazriz
Banned User

Combat fury is probably the least useful AA for warriors ... the only reason for getting it is to get Flurry...

id go

run3
regen3
nd3
PE
aetaunt
CA3
CS3

in that order once your lvl 65... IMO no AA till your 65 and before pop no AA till 60 (except maybe run3)

I don't really remember all the PoP AA but probably a good idea to maybe do planar durability before ca/cs
Xazriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:05 AM   #21
Qris

K, just wanna make sure you don't do what Xazriz said towards the end. The thing about Physical Enhancement before AE taunt. AE taunt is the most useful AA skill you get as a warrior and I'd practice in that as soon as I could.

I wanna do the AA that gets me stunned less, I hate being stunned...

Combat fury is just a fun skill to have, more crits for more damage sounds cool to me. Same with Finishing Blow. So I'll be training in those because they sound like fun and that's what I play for, to have fun. Of course I'll be doing the most useful ones first though

Qris - 57 Myrmidon
Old 12-06-2002, 01:29 AM   #22
Morticea

I have to agree with Qris about Area Taunt... this is a great group skill... when you get adds and your Ench can't mezz, your Cleric can't heal, or your porter can't get an Evac off, as they are getting smacked on, a click on AE Taunt 'can' buy them the time and the breathing space to get their job done. You can also use it to give your group time to escape when all is lost. Ok so it will probably cause your death, but in the end that’s what Warriors are partly there for... to die to save the group, and one death is better than six.

The AA ability that’s gets you stunned less is Stalwart Endurance. I have the first level of this, and seeing the lovely words 'You avoid the stunning blow' is very nice indeed. I fact I am sure that I avoid more stunning blows than the game reports that I do. This is my dilemma at the moment, in that I can’t make my mind up whether to train the next two levels in this, or Combat Stability.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:45 AM   #23
Birren
Banned User

Kog, you left out ambi dex.

MY suggestion:

Run3
Regen 3 ( i got sta, i regret it now)
ND3
AE tuant
PE
CA

and from here, you can branch off. you could get CS, or get ambi dex. I am going ambi dex as i have a ton of hps and could use a tad better agro. but after you get done with PE, then it becomes more personal prefrence really.

I would also suggest waiting till 60 to get anythign past run3
Birren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 02:29 PM   #24
Xazriz
Banned User

K, just wanna make sure you don't do what Xazriz said towards the end.
i'm pretty sure i have a better idea of how to spend aa than a 57 warrior.. although ae taunt has its uses i would still prefer hp first.. also CF adds very little damage.
Xazriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:13 PM   #25
Kogur
Phatty!

Originally posted by Xazriz
also CF adds very little damage.
Aye that's true, but like you said it's the only way to access flurry, which is a very nice skill.