Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
TheClericBanton

Default Asheron's Call 2 Beta...

Anyone else playing it? Im finding it pretty dam enjoyable. I hated the first one but this one seems to be fixing alot of issues the first had.

Love the teh size of the world...and the graphics

Playing the game at max settings minus AA and it runs smooth as silk
Old 09-30-2002, 02:20 PM   #2
Dwarkarn

Have they improved the chat system? I found it horrible the way the chat system was set up in the first one. Another thing can you still walk for like 4 hours and see not another soul? The first Asheron's Call made me feel as if I was playing an offline game, there was no social aspect to it at all.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
TheClericBanton

Yeah when i first started teh game i was alreay in a group exploring, but being the beta that it is, i fell through the floor and had to wait for assistance, which might i add was very quick.

The chat system is basic, just like EQ's, you can have multiple windows and filter what to go where. you have group say and guild talk (i think no guilds around yet). theres no shout or ooc tho, being the large no zone world it would annoy the hell out of you if you could hear someone from across the world.

There is often times were you can explore for a long time without seeing anyone but i blame this mainly on it being a beta and not many playing.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:11 PM   #4
Elwyn

I enjoyed the game until a patch or two ago when they adjusted the xp curve. Leveling is really tedious now.
Before that, I thought the game was great. Hopefully they'll retune it back to reasonable levels soon.

Read my review!
Old 09-30-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
TheClericBanton

Great review, i agree with everything. If ya want some Hi Res shots i can submit some. Im running it with max settings (minus AA) at 1024x768.

Nice post count, hehe
Old 10-01-2002, 05:46 AM   #6
panidwenthedruid

Default Heh

A friend of mine is in the beta. He said that the graphics are good. However, he also said the content sucks and it's too much like EQ. He was also an orignal AC player. I watched him play ac1 a few times and I must say it sucked compared to EQ. For one thing I thought EQ's character models were 100 times better and AC really had no choices in race.

I see no point in buying a game in which he himself said is suprisingly EQ'ish. I will buy swg before this game. Also fyi if you can get the beta for ac2 it only works on geforce video cards. Atleast thats what they said was supported. I downloaded it and tried to play and it wouldn't run on my radeon, after which I found out it wasn't yet supported.
~pan
Old 10-01-2002, 07:27 AM   #7
Zoisite Spiritheart

Default Re: Heh

I played AC1 and found the spell casting system tedious and anoying not to mention the chat system blew. I dont plan on wasting time even checking it out this time.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:46 AM   #8
Elwyn

Default Re: Heh

While AC2 may or may not be a good game, its nothing at all like AC1. Don't base your decision on the crappyness of the first one.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:52 AM   #9
panidwenthedruid

Default yes

I am not basing mine on ac1 alone. I know several people in the beta test and they all say the content sucks. If a game looks graphically good so what. I could really care less about graphics.The game has to be fun and so far I have heard a lot of people say it's not fun to play period. From what my friends said its ac with better graphics and made similar to EQ in may ways. I wont be buying this game.

SWG will blow this game out of the water.

~pan

Old 10-01-2002, 10:43 AM   #10
TheClericBanton

Default Re: yes

You claim that SWG will blow the game out of the water, but how much of it have you played? heck how much of AC2 have you played? none so please keep your bias mouth shut...

I have a friend beta testing SWG, I have played SWG...and not to break your heart but its an EQ clone like no other....

AC2 is NOTHING like EQ, The only thing i can find similar is that they both have an auto attack button. Just like every other MMORPG.

There are no zones, the are NO NPC's at all minus mobs. All quest are dynamic, meaning that once you complete a quest you can NEVER do it again. I must agree that thier isnt much to do at higher lvls but maybe thats because its a B...E..T...A.. They do a server wipe constantly...

Im having more fun running around the World of AC2 then i have had recently in EQ. Will i leave EQ for AC2? I dout it seeing how i have ALOT of friends in EQ.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:46 AM   #11
NorokTyme

Dude I play Ac2 beta sometimes when I can get it to @#%$ work for a change cause it happen to be bugged as @#%$ hell and I get stuck in a warp tunnel every time I die or I diapear or my character does or somthing stupid happens. Everytime I play other then that its pretty kewl..

Ps. Banton get on Icq once in a while duh

Norok
Old 10-01-2002, 12:40 PM   #12
TheClericBanton

Nevah!

actually lost my icq buddy list in a format, hehe so if you do see me on send me a pm so i can relist ya (goes for anyone else who had me)
Old 10-01-2002, 05:51 PM   #13
panidwenthedruid

Default ok

Banton there is no reason to get rude. Did I tell you to shut your mouth? I did nothing more then post my opinion of this game. If you can't handle an opposing view of what you posted on a public message board then it is you that needs to shut your mouth.

And to clarify I have been present while my friends were playing ac1 and the ac2 beta.

~panidwen

Old 10-01-2002, 06:16 PM   #14
TheClericBanton

Default Re: ok

sorry but your post make no sense you keep posting that SWG would be soo good yet you havent even tried it. I have been playing the AC2 Beta for awhile now and everytime i log on i find something to do.

Old 10-01-2002, 08:01 PM   #15
panidwenthedruid

Default ok

Thats just my opinion Banton and you don't have to agree with it. For you swg may not be a good game. I have followed along pretty close to what is going to be in swg. I am also a huge starwars fan so I have a great deal more interest in swg then ac2. Believe me I looked at ac2. It just doesn't appeal to me nor did they win me over by limiting the beta test to people with geforce cards. Hoepfully in a few weeks I will have my new computer with the 128 mb geforce but until then I don't.

I sure hope they do some live beta testing on different video cars other then the geforce. Otherwise it's gonna be a big mess come launch.

~Panidwen

Old 10-01-2002, 08:56 PM   #16
TheClericBanton

Default Re: ok

I have spoken with alot of people and not everyone is running a Geforce card, lots were running older Radeon cards, but not at high settings.

Saddly thats were gaming is getting to, Do you expect to play SWG at above average graphics on anything less then medium to top quality gear? dout it, I dont think SWG or any future games will support voodoo cards or even anything below a Geforce 2 in preformance.

Old 10-01-2002, 09:37 PM   #17
panidwenthedruid

Default hehe

Well the computer I am on is a p3 933 and a 64 meg radeon which is around 1 year old. I get to the server select screen and when I hit enter nothing happens it just closes.

I totally agree swg is going to require some hefty system specs. The system I had quoted was:
Athlon XP 2200 or 2000 1.7+mhz essentially
Nvidia Geforce 4 128 mb card
40gb hard drive
512mb or more ddr ram
windows xp
Sound Blaster Live X gamer 5.1(had this)
etc

Maybe I will try and turn down the settings on the card and see if it works. I gave up though when they said don't install or play unless you meet these specs =).

~panidwen
Hopefully that will keep me ahead for a little while =).

Old 10-01-2002, 09:57 PM   #18
TheClericBanton

Default Re: hehe

With the beta theres acouple problems right now that they are trying to solve, try either disabling sound altogether, disabling vsync or installing the newest drivers. I know i actually had to go get the newer drivers for my card...
Old 10-02-2002, 02:39 AM   #19
suzail

Default /smack banton

hey shorty,

im playing AC2 beta, look me up

Suzail the mad archer

Suz
Old 10-02-2002, 06:13 AM   #20
Qono

Default AC2/AC1

I am beta testing AC2 right now. It's an ok game. Once I can find something other than level 6 creatures to fight (since they bumped us all to level 20) I may find more interest. In Ac, they had low level mobs around the towns and then they got steadily higher in level the farther from town you were. In AC2, I have run between towns and found nothing bigger than level 6. Have to find that spot to hunt.
AC1 though, that was a great game. Lots to explore. Lots of quest to do. No 72 person waiting list to kill a mob. Go to town, get a group (yes, it was that easy, easier than EQ at most times to get a group) and go raid a dungeon. One of my favs from AC1 is the 3 Towers (AKA Soul Fear) quest.
You might have only had 3 races to choose from to be but you can make anything out of your character you wanted it to be. What ruined the game was the Uber char templates and the cheats that were rampant. "If you want to be an Uber Dagger then use this template". Hogwash!! I always used my own templates and not the 100, 10, 100, 10, 100, 10, 100, 10, 100, 10, etc. trash and I had fun and got fairly high in level.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:25 AM   #21
Ojuillean

Default Re: AC2/AC1

crap - finally get the damn download for the Beta - install it - attempt to log in and I'm told all the new beta spots are full. (><)

Old 10-02-2002, 07:03 AM   #22
Keltarin Stormshadow

I have a friend beta testing SWG, I have played SWG...and not to break your heart but its an EQ clone like no other....
SWG feels nothing like an EQ clone, nor is it being designed at all like one. If you want to compare it to anything, compare it to UO, since it's being done by the same designer (Raph Koster).

I sure hope they do some live beta testing on different video cars other then the geforce.
Some of the beta crew are using Radeons. They've been reporting bugs that haven't been seen with the GeForce. So hopefully those will all get squared away before the game goes live, though I doubt it's highest priority atm.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:14 PM   #23
Codsan Morcods

Has anyone else noticed you can't swim underwater in any MMOG other than EQ?

Old 10-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #24
Codsan Morcods

Err I meant to say before..

AC2 just seems like a "product". It's like Microsoft and Turbine are doing a study on what's the absolute LEAST amount of development you have to do in order to release a MMOG and still have people willing to pay for it.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:31 PM   #25
TheClericBanton

AC2 just seems like a "product". It's like Microsoft and Turbine are doing a study on what's the absolute LEAST amount of development you have to do in order to release a MMOG and still have people willing to pay for it.
How so? The game has alot and some are improvements that should have been in EQ. Better graphics engine, Better Quest system, an open character development system and dynamic enviroments. Only thing i cant really comment on is the high end game since im not high enough to even try it.