Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2002, 06:21 AM   #1
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
Default It's amazing what some monks will flame about...

I noticed the big change at monkly business and posted on it.

They spent $3600 for EZBoard gold for 15 months!!!

I suggested why not use a professional script (something like this, or YABB), where they could host it themselves, or have a webhost do it.

Here were there arguments:

"Webhosts aren't free"

No, but for the bandwith they have, $25/month will get them more than enough, plus CGI-Bin/PERL/PHP/MySQL access

"Board scrips aren't free"

Half the scripts at www.forum-forum.com are free, including YaBB, YaBBSE, IkonBoard, PHPBB2, and more. And a progran like VBulletin costs about $180 for a liscense...a far cry from their $3600!

"All the data would be lost"

EZBoard exporters....

"This thread should b loced or deleted."

Heck, I wasn't even posting any flaming or insulting remarks. I simply told them, ya know, you could save a LOT of money witha do it yourself kit, kind of like building your PC. Once your website grows to the level of Monkly Business, EZBoard just is not a viable option. You'll have to many people complain about the pop-ups, and the Gold options costs 30-50X what others charge to host that kind of bandwith!
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 08:38 AM   #2
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
PHP BB is free, and it's just as good if not better than Ezboard.

Vbulliten is only like $100 and you can use it forever. Plus $240 a month will buy and awfully nice dedicated server

You can get so-so ones for $70 - $100, which would prolly be fine if you were just hosting the message board and one website on em.

I think it just boils down to laziness
Old 11-29-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

They deleted the post, lol.

I use YABB myself. It uses CGI/PERL, so few webhosts don't support it (as opposed to PHP and MySQL, that is more costly to get a webhost for). It's small in size (despite 9k page loads a day, bandwith usage is still tiny, I love it!), VERY easy to install and modify.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:45 AM   #4
leavinnow
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to leavinnow Send a message via Yahoo to leavinnow
Default Lamers

I agree with you D Paying Cash for a forum is kinda Lame if you ask me well atleast 3600 is way too much
leavinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 11:17 AM   #5
gojirra monk

Sorry guys, but network traffic isn't free. Those hostsing companies offering huge traffic limits are either lying to you outright, or being very misleading.

To see what I mean, go to one of those places offering something absurd like 400GB/month or unlimited usage and see how much traffic they'll let you move before they discontinue service.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 11:43 AM   #6
Nire

Sorry guys, but network traffic isn't free. Those hostsing companies offering huge traffic limits are either lying to you outright, or being very misleading.

To see what I mean, go to one of those places offering something absurd like 400GB/month or unlimited usage and see how much traffic they'll let you move before they discontinue service.
I run a Web Hosting company. I know data transfer isn't free. No one said they could host their website for nothing. However, $240 a month , on a 15 month contract where you pay upfront is not a good deal. They could host their own dedicated server for half of that with very reliable results (provided they had a competent lunix admin).

You are right though, the web hosting industry is the "fad" industry right now and there are thousands of companies offering the world for almost nothing. It's just comonsense that your 9.99 a month isn't going to buy you 100 GB of bandwidth
Old 11-29-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

They stated that they get roughly 80k page hits a day. I get 8-10k page hits a day, and I host all the avatars that are loaded on those pages, as a servic to my guild and any other registered user. Going by that, I'd say MB isn't even pulling near 2GB a month. I pay $15.99/month and get 10GB of bandwith (I overestimated, I should have baught a smaller package).

On our old site, we had local hosting turned on, and allowed people to host avatars there. We pulled in a whopping 1GB a month of bandwith. Due to that alone.

You need to learn to read. No one said that the hosting would be free. But it's not expensive either.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:21 PM   #8
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Ezboard is such a huge pile of shit now. Even if you have gold and a light access site you still get a slow ass board.
Their popups are thew worst kind of trash an can cause damage to your PC. its so so so funny to see them crying about how mean everyone is becuase they combat their spyware popups with popupstopper. It really breaks my heart.

quote from the Mr Ezboard asshole himself in that thread
Vanchau
CEO
ezboard
(11/27/02 10:56:01 am)
ezSupporter

Re: Announcement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is why we are going to have to probably shut off advertising sponsored boards.

Each page view is paid for by us. It costs us real money to host these sites. If you think $3600.00 a year is a lot to host this community, I *BEG* you to go try and do it yourself. Your time and money committment will be far greater than the $300 per month we're charging.

ezboard is probably going to move to GOLD only and ezSupporter only boards... it is the only way we can survive and prosper. There is a viscious cycle happening right now.. people use pop up stoppers which leads to us putting more pop up ads, which leads to more people using pop up stoppers..

We are at the point where we feel if a person isn't willing to support their community at $1 per month, then that community needs to exist elsewhere b/c frankly, we can't continue to provide service under those conditions.

I applaud Zadkiel for being smart and making a business arrangement to keep this board gold. It is so easy for people to criticize when they know nothing about the time committment and effort it takes to run a community like this.

Stop the hate and support each other - it makes life so much more fun if you focus on the positive rather than the negative.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:36 PM   #9
Nire

Just to give you an idea, compared to Monklybusiness' 80k page views a day, we get an average of 76k page views here on erollisimarr.com
Old 11-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #10
Sarkam Warbringer

Send a message via AIM to Sarkam Warbringer
The reason the monks are bitching is because the person who took over monkly business also runs this establishment...

www.mysupersales.com
Sarkam Warbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #11
Atroxis Crotalus

Smile Providing the filler info

actually the big reason we were bitching was because 6 months ago our community raised the money to go gold, most of us that hang out on the monk boards were also around for the old black and green boards, and the dojo, and we kinda didn't feel like moving around anymore. so when renewal of our gold status came up, it was kinda shocking to see that the cost had tripled without our usage doing the same thing.

so Zad and the other admins of the monk boards told ezboard exactly how we felt about that, and we did not renew gold status. Apparently hosting one of the more active boards for free did not float thier boat, so they gave us over one month of free Gold while we awaited thier "big announcement" that would help us keep M-B running. i believe the announcement was posted above.

We were perfectly content to deal with the pop-ups and the like, and if EZBoard booted us, Zad was going to start his own setup (reason that it did not happen first off was Zadikel has been looking for someone to take over M-B for a loooong time, and begining his own setup for hosting would ultimately tie him to running the boards permenantly.) until somone stepped up and paid off the entire $3600 for us, AND took over all the hosting and cost components for Zad (like i said, something he had been looking to do for a LONG time). This is the link to the thread on the monk boards where the new owner explains most everything. In all honesty, the only people flaming are the same childish individuals that flame everything else. If it wasn't this, they would be crying over moving the boards elsewhere, if not that, then crying over pop-ups. most of the community is just happy to be secure for another small lenght of time.

Just realize that the M-B boards are entirely community run, setting up a server would be costing someone money that in all honesty, he didn't have to spend. the reason he was still running M-B at all was because the community's costs were covered by our gold status. (relocating, setting up bandwith and server space) < (effectively free services). Getting the community to pay for those things after dropping $1000 collectively just 6Mo. earlier would not have worked.
Atroxis Crotalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 07:46 AM   #12
Athion

People fear change. Its that simple.

At the mere MENTION of changing someone's favorite site to ANYTHING else, the freaks come out of the woodwork. I work for Mazevo (a web forum service. http://mazevo.com) and I can't tell you how many people I've talked to, told them how much money we could save them over Ezboard, or even hosting it themselves, and been told no, that's not much of a savings... hell, one company was looking at saving OVER $100 a month... but didn't feel that the "changeover hassle" was worth it... even though WE were going to handle ALL the conversion etc. And we are talking about a CLEARLY superior product here.

One thing Vancheau (or however you spell it ) is right about though, the use of popup blockers WILL kill free internet "stuff". Advertisers want to see something for their money. Banner ads can't cut it (the Clickthru rate on Forum banner ads is TERRIBLE). So you start to see those spiffy popups like CastersRealm uses (UGO ads) or you will see the "In-between ads" like the Gamespy sites use (we used those first BTW ). And of course when this happens people scream and stamp their feet. But what choice do the sites have?

I personally do NOT use a popup blocker, I cannot afford to donate to every site that I visit, so I feel it is the least I can do to read their popups (ok, maybe not READ them, but at least let them load fully ).

/shrug people basically get in a comfort zone, and they refuse to get moved out of it.