Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 11:50 PM   #1
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Default What is thanksgiving about ? Your Quiz of the year...

Thanksgiving day is an American tradition.

Do any of you Americans know what Thanksgiving is about ?

I want to hear your answers since everyone I ask seems
to think it's a Religious Holiday.. BAH !!

You Freeking people need to update your Facts on holidays !

It's funny how in the past that Thanksgiving has become
a Religious holiday.. And people distort the truth through
their own meanings of THANKSGIVING !!

Thanksgiving is an American Holiday.. Done..

Now tell us All why..

Thanksgiving Day
: a day appointed for giving thanks for divine goodness: as
a : the fourth Thursday in November observed as a legal holiday in the U.S.
b : the second Monday in October observed as a legal holiday in Canada

WHY ?

http://www.pilgrims.net/plymouth/thanksgiving.htm

Zolmaz..
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:33 AM   #2
Esarus

Default ill take this quiz

First off, anyone who thinks Thanksgiving is a religious holiday doesn't know what they're talking about. Granted, all Thanksgiving Day meals in my family have started with prayer, but only to thank God that we were all able to be together and enjoy one another's company.

The 'original' Thanksgiving, as your link points out, lasted three days but was more than likely in August or September, after the first harvest. How it came to be celebrated in November is unknown to me. It was a special time for all the folks who worked so hard to enjoy the fruits or their labor.

Thanksgiving to me is one of the two times a year I get to spend time with family and friends that I usually don't see very often. What I enjoy about it is that regardless of whatever problems exist with other members of the family, this is a time to forget that and truly love and appreciate each other. There's also a copius amount of kick ass food, which I enjoy maybe a lil too much .

This is just my opinion of the holiday. To some people it just lets them know that they have to put up the Christmas tree the next day. Going onto a slight tangent here. What the hell is up with radio stations playing friggin Christmas songs two weeks before Thanksgiving. Damn that annoys me. In closing, I think Thanksgiving is a lil different for everyone, but it's essence is universal. Family, friends, and good eats....seems like a winning combination to me.
Esarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
In Canada, Thanksgiving is a celebration of the noble and majestic moose.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:09 AM   #4
Afferon

Send a message via ICQ to Afferon
Default Can't say

Can't say I ever considered it a religious Holiday but what I do see it as is Family and Friends getting togeather to celebrate The fruits of thier labor so to speak. This don't have to be a Harvest of Grains or such but all that you have accomplished for the year. The first one was indeed for the Harvest and all the hard work put in to obtain it. As for it being in November well that is possible if you look at the moons and such. (which use to be used for judging the harvest). You have to remember back then they let the corn dry completly in the field were today we pick it wet and dry it in bins. also they did it all by hand where 20 acres takes 2 hours took them a couple weeks. So I could see middle of November before they had their feast. As for why and how it became a Holiday after words being no other one was done is hard to say. would have to go back throgh history and see Which president declaried it and why
Afferon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:15 PM   #5
Oumadar

Send a message via MSN to Oumadar
Nires right, can't wait for the easter beaver!
Old 11-27-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
Qanadan
Supporter

All I know is I'll be spending it at my inlaws...../sigh
Qanadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:40 PM   #7
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

Smile Thanksgiving has true meaning.

Sorry I was a bit harsh in my post.

Thanksgiving to me is being thankfull for what I have, and
that I can afford to live my life with all the freedoms
that come with working hard and living a full life. And enjoying
every moment of it all "Good and bad".

Happy Thanksgiving to all. And to all a blessed holiday.

*Cheers to all your family and Friends.

Zolmaz Zo'Boto (The luckiest gnome) don't even try to rub my head for luck !
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #8
Grammaw

Send a message via AIM to Grammaw Send a message via Yahoo to Grammaw
Thanksgiving to me is a part of the month where I can save some bucks on my food bill. Leftovers rock. Being a bachelor, all the family assumes that I need food, and thus I get dibs on all the choice leftovers. Sucks that my nephew starved, but oh well.
Grammaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 08:41 AM   #9
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Nires right, can't wait for the easter beaver!
Ahhh the Easter beaver, leaving colourfully painted wood chips hidden every where for the young and old alike!

It's great to be Canadian.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:28 AM   #10
warren magnuson

Well some Thanksgiving Day Trivia as I remember it and have read...

Thanksgiving is NOT a religious holiday. To be a religious holiday it would have to been instituted by an authority of a Religion.

It was first instituted by the Governor of the Plymouth Colony. Pilgrims anyone? The observance was created to praise and give thanks to God for a good harvest. Something very important in that time considering many colonies starved to death during the Winter. Additionally, local tribes of Indians were invited to this celebration since the Indians did give aid to the Plymouth Colony.

President Washington (yes, our first U.S. President) nationally observed this day, at the request of Congress, as a day of praise and thanks to God. The custom spread throughout the Union and most presidents upon taking their term kept the tradition of Thanksgiving alive. President Lincoln was the first to pick the last Thursday of November as the day of observance. President Johnson and President Grant reinforced this date during their terms and since then, it has not been changed.

A day of 'thanksgiving' is not unique to the US. Many cultures and countries celebrate a day to give thanks for either a good harvest or to their God(ess). The pilgrim's observance of Thanksgiving can possibly be traced back to old Hebrew customs (since Christianity is an offshoot of that religion) and/or other rites of harvest. And logic demands that the American Indians be credited with the formation of this holiday as well.

England - Harvest Home
Germany - Erntefest
Ancient Greece - No name I'm aware of but they celebrated for 9 days after a good harvest, honoring the Goddess Demeter.
American Indians - Also possessed thanksgiving festivals as well and its quite possible(probable) Governor Bradford adopted the day Wampanoags had their celebration.

Bear in mind that these holidays may or may not have any relation with each other. All these early cultures were religious in some way. It only makes sense that you give thanks to your God(s) that you are going to be able to eat during the winter.

Warren
warren magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 10:57 AM   #11
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks...period. To whom do we give out thanks? To whoever we feel grateful to. If I want to make Thanksgiving a religious holiday in my family, then so be it. If you want to give thanks to Bignagga the god of the hypotenuse of all right triangles, then that's your right as well.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:07 AM   #12
Deviator

Thanksgiving is about.... PIE! thats it, nothing else, just pie! Be thankful for the tons of pumpkins who so bravely gave their lives so we may enjoy pie.

R.I.P. Joe Pumpkin.
Deviator is offline   Reply With Quote