Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2002, 12:58 PM   #1
Graiden Broodbattler

Default Questions On Networking Cable Internet

Well I've been with crappy Dial-Up for a while and my brother has cable in his room, I want to network are comps and was wondering what I would need and Prices and maybe some sites where to get the supplies.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2002, 01:43 PM   #2
Martigan

Get a router. I paid $70 for my NetGear router at Staples. The router came with instruction on how to set it up with cable for multiple machines. Took me about 20 minutes of reading and hooking things up.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:59 PM   #3
Darue Ivywood

^
|_______________what he said..plus

you will need a NIC in your system. ~$20

Old 10-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #4
Baledin Trueblade

Don't forget Cat 5 cables to connect to the router and PC's. Also, on the router.. either make sure you have one that has multiple ports on it (for multiple machines) or you'll end up needing to buy a hub/switch as well (which I have).
Old 10-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #5
Furrie

I've used a Linksys 4 port router to run 2 systems at once for the better part of 2 years now and havent had any trouble with my connection to EQ.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:22 PM   #6
Arnwolf Magnuson

I use a Linksys 4 port router as well. Plus, if your ISP is checking this kind of stuff, they'll only see one IP address on your end with the Router, as long as you have it set to be a DHCP server (which it is by default).

This helps if your ISP charges for multiple connections...they won't know you have multiple connections.

Arnwolf
Old 10-08-2002, 02:39 PM   #7
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Adding to what Arnwolf said, make sure you take note of your first-connected computer's MAC address. A lot of ISP's register your connection using a MAC address and you may need to let the router know this address. Just a heads up.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
Garoan Swiftbolt

Been using a Linksys 4 port router for some time now too. It's been very good as far as maintaining a connection for multiple PCs. A further note to Ulujain's post on recording the MAC address. Find out from your provider what you have to do if you get a new NIC. In many cases, you can just release your IP before you connect a new NIC, and it will assign a new IP based on the new MAC address.

I have decided to go the server route recently, since Linux is so popular worldwide, and work on expanding knowledge, and possibilities as I go.

Any pointers from people who are managing internet connections through Linux servers at home would be appreciated

P.S. Sorry to purists, I got Red Hat because I was told it would be easier for me to get started on.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:53 PM   #9
Darue Ivywood

adding to what arn and ulu said...

some ISP's not only check your MAC address (which you can clone on a decent router..I use linksys) but also assigns your computer a host name on the start up. hehehe, which can also be cloned on your router..

so...to recap..

Router w/ 4 or more ports $70-$150
Patch Cables x3 ~$10 ea. (CAT5 variety)
Network Interface Card ~$20

Patience for installing and getting it working if your a beginner to networks....
(sorry cant resist)
...Priceless.