Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
cnjmorris

Default Some things never change.

Okay, months ago I asked about a PC that kept freezing up. Well, months later it still does.

Its running
Windows XP Pro
GeForce 2 Pro (latest drivers, not beta)
512MB DDR memory (did a complete memory scan with some utility, no errors)
Abit KG7 MB, non raid. Flashed bios correctly.
SB Live Card, latest drivers.

The PC freezes up randomly when I play EQ. When I am just browsing internet or transfering files it sometimes freezes, but MUCH less frequently.

People told me it was the 230watt power supply, so I bought a 400 watt. People told me it was overheating so I bought 2 case fans, I swear I can feel the breeze coming through the fan. I know that the fan on the CPU is solid cause I watched the guy put on the sealer. I forget what he used but I remember that I checked later and it was a good name sealer.

So... what could it be at this point? What can I do? I would appreciate ANY suggestions. Is there a utility that will error trap and tell me what is causing it at least?
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
myzterys

Just a dumb idea but have u tried new memory or taking your sticks out and putting diffrent ones in.?

Myzzy D'Shantain

Now why did ya go off and die again, I was just about to heal ya.
myzterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 07:29 PM   #3
Parum

I had this happen. Get a new video card or if you have installed one, uninstall it (i know, i went from 64mb card to 32, but it solves the freezing).

Parum
Parum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:55 PM   #4
Macleod

Send a message via AIM to Macleod
I'd throw the Live! out the window... maybe it's just me, but those sound cards are serious pieces of crap, mine never gave me anything but problems...
Old 12-01-2002, 05:52 PM   #5
cnjmorris

Default Update.

Same problem, I uninstalled graphics card and reinstalled latest stable drivers from nvidia.

Anyone else able to help?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:10 PM   #6
makril
Supporter

Got PoP?

If not,buy it,will fix your problem,it did mine.Graphics update in patch on PoP start date fugg'd me up,loading up PoP fixed it.

esleff
murkrus
belgadon

p.s. I also changed from the 4.4 driver to the 4.7 drivers.
makril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 07:20 PM   #7
TalvaranRW

check to see if your motherboard is AGP 2.0 compliant. I upgraded my video card without checking my motherbord and when i use that card EQ tends to freeze up.
TalvaranRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 09:10 PM   #8
pkmastr

Default Probs

I have the same problem. It seems to be Geforce 2's and Direct X and/or windows XP. My computer keeps locking but i have a radeon 9700 pro coming so hopefully that should solve it if that doesnt I got a new mobo coming so maybe it should be better will post back to tell on progress.
pkmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:38 AM   #9
cnjmorris

Default Update

I have PoP and I have it enabled. This problem occured pre and post PoP.

My motherboard is AGP compliant, in fact it is APG 4 compliant. The motherboard is the same as the one in my other PC. Its an Abit KG7, a nice MB actually.

I have a GeForce card running in my other machine with same drivers (although the card itself is another model( and it never locks up.

Thanks for input, this is a royal pain.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:12 AM   #10
Gulyenn Meerkat

Move your SB Live to a different slot...
Gulyenn Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:39 AM   #11
Kerryn

Move your SB Live to a different slot...
I suggest the slot marked bin, or refuse.

• Go into Control Panel, System, Device Manager and delete any reference to the card.
  • Do a full system search for blaster.* and delete the files.
  • Run regedit and have it find "blaster" delete the references to your card. F3 until you've got them all.
  • Switch off your computer.
  • Open the case and take out your Soundblaster card.
  • Give it to someone you don't like as a present.
  • Buy a decent card.

Enjoy.

Seriously I cannot express how bad I feel the soundblaster products are.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:48 AM   #12
Obrret

I noticed that someone posted to try and replacing memory. I didn't notice if you had replied you tried that or not, but I was having the same problem once. What I discovered, after many months of annoying, random lock ups, was that one of the sticks of memory had a bad spot that showed up only when Windows tried to address a specific address.

I replaced my memory and have had no problems with random lock ups since. Try using only 1 stick of memory of memory at a time. If your system locks up you have found the culprit.

I hope this helps
Obrret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:11 AM   #13
Braydin
Alpha Mage!

Location: If I told you, then witness protection would have to move me... again
Send a message via Yahoo to Braydin
Mine does the same thing now, ever since I loaded PoP. It did it before, went away and with PoP has started again. Actually it may have started with the last patch come to think of it.
Resilience
Braydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:46 AM   #14
Igota
Supporter

That really does not sound like an error from the Live! at all to me, but I fully agree that they are crap; if you are going to get a new sound card get a turtle beach, but I don't feel that that is causing your problem.

I think it is the RAM, yes I know you ran a check on the RAM but those things miss a lot, if you have two sticks making up your 512 take one out and give it a shot, if it happens again put it back and take the other out, if it still happens do the same thing but in differant slots, if you only have one stick just borrow a stick from a friend and give it a shot.

If none of that works and you are going to try a new sound card, before you buy a new one I would move the SB Live! to a new slot (especially if it is in the PCI slot nearest the AGP slot).

Best of luck to you.
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:26 AM   #15
Festivus

I assume you have checked the obvious... cables all snug, no shorting going on with the motherboard to the chassis or other devices?

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:36 AM   #16
Théodwyn

I've had freeze problems due to sound cards, generally.

My suspicion is handling DMA/IRQ from the SB card.

Try disabling the SB card and using the on-bard AC'97 sound. See if your problem goes away. If it does, you know the culprit.

I've cleared up freeze/lock problems many times this way.

I'm assuming the board is a VIA chipset, right? With the southbridge that seems to want to use it's sound chip.....

Theo
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:42 PM   #17
Laoke

Default OK, lets try the basics...

Remove EVERYTHING from your PC, following standard antistatic precautions. You could leave the CPU attached if it's 'sealed' in place, but even so I'd personally take it out.

You now have a completely bare motherboard. You want to install the BARE minimum it will start with and play EQ. This will probably be:

CPU
Hard drive(s)
1 stick of RAM
Video card
NIC or Modem for internet connection

Make sure you wave each component in the air three times before installing it to dispell the evil pixies.

See if it's stable with that configuration. If it's not, take out the memory if you can and replace it with another stick.

If it's stable, start adding in components one at a time and testing them under EQ. This will tell you which component is causing the issues.

I do assume you've tried formatting your system partition and reinstalling Windows from scratch however, if not that would be my first thing to try. Also, if you haven't done so in a while defragging the hard drive might be an idea.

Laoke
Laoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:40 PM   #18
Slayne

Send a message via AIM to Slayne
I used to have my computer freeze when I transferred files. Never had it any other time though.

Same system/card.

~Slayne