Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 11:45 AM   #26
Lodor

Kerryn, there are 2 versions of the HP books.

The real ones and the edited ones because the PTA cried about the nature of the books theme.

The real ones have heavier words but no real swearing. Sorry bloody hell is not a swear term at all, especialy based off UK english where the book was written and based.
Lodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:19 PM   #27
Branyanu

Talking Harry Potter

I loved it! I thought it was even better than the first one.

The reason it is staying so close to the book is that JK Rowling is working on the screenplays.
Branyanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:20 PM   #28
Bueis Iceheart

Default saw it loved it

Personally the second movie was much better than the first one, but it IS NOT a kids movie, if my niece or nephew went to see that movie no one would be getting sleep in that house for a week (huge spiders big snakes) still it was a fun movie to watch, full of suprises even though I kinda knew what to expect from reading all the books.

I will say this though in the theatre I was surrounded by kids, and about a quarter of them ended up crying during the big snake part or screaming close your eyes to each other, its definately not for younger children.

As far as all you people critisizing each other for what the other ppl think, get over yourselves, this is not a cookie cutter world, I dont expect everyone to like what I like or think what I think, its just not going to happen, you all need to realize this and accept that other people can think what they want and can still be right even though you dont agree, this is a matter of opinion and opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one and quite a few (if not all) stink.

Striking 45 necro
Bueis Iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:00 AM   #29
Kerryn

Kerryn, there are 2 versions of the HP books.

The real ones and the edited ones because the PTA cried about the nature of the books theme.

The real ones have heavier words but no real swearing. Sorry bloody hell is not a swear term at all, especialy based off UK english where the book was written and based.
I'm well aware of what the British consider swear words being British but it's worth pointing out that AOL Time Warner recently added a disclaimer to the Harry Potter adverts over here that it did contain swearing. Obviously someone feels more strongly about it then I do because the took the time to write and complain.

There are two versions of the books you're correct. The original British versions which contained no swearing, and the books that were published in America, complete with mild swearing and a rename of "Harry Potter and the Philospers Stone" to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone"

It's worth noting that the first film was released over here under the original british title whilst released in America as Sorcerers.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:04 AM   #30
Devla

I'm still trying to figure out why they changed the title of the first movie. Don't americans know what a Philosopher is?

Regards,

CJ
Devla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:09 AM   #31
Krrak

I have to agree with what several have said so far - to compare Harry Potter and LoTR is like comparing Battlestar Galactica to Star Wars. To begin with the budgets between the two series are magnitudes apart, as well as the target audience.

Perhaps those who thought the Harry Potter series was intended for the same mature audience that LoTR is should take a few days (or even weeks for the slow) and read the two series.

I for one, enjoyed both, and will continue to enjoy both as long as they stay true to what they are intended for - escapism and enjoyment.

Never try to read more into what is presented for you to enjoy, just sit back - relax - and let your imagination (and the director's vision) take you on a journey. Perhaps you will even like it.

my 2 coppers
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote