Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2002, 02:39 PM   #1
Slayne

Send a message via AIM to Slayne
Default Harry Potter

Anyone else enjoy this?

Grant it, lot got sniped out, which sucks. But considering its nearly 3 hours long, I think they did extrandionary in getting it so similar to the story.

Lucky for the family, they get to be annoyed with me for another Harry Potter movie. /goes to find the dvd of the first one

~Slayne
Slayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
Tuan00Dorf

I like the movie, was fun to go see! A few good movies coming out around the holidays now, including the sequal to Harry Potter, woo!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
darue_ivywood

Default movie

actually , today being the 15th , I think slayne was referring to the second one.

Correct me if im wrong.

So was it good? I personally thought the first one was pretty good, not having read any of the books. Would only assume the second to be good as well.

And I seen that the old guy with the beard (also played merlan in a few King Arthurs type films) has died recently...

wonder how that wil play into the next movie.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #4
Slayne

Yes I was referring to the second one, sorry.
I found it enjoyable. I read the books after watching the first movie. Since I dont have cable, I tend to just pick a movie and just let it play in the background. Unfortunately for my family, thats been the first Harry Potter for the last month or two.

Yes, it was a pitty that Richard Harris died. You can tell he's not well in this movie if you've seen how he acts in the first. Still a good movie.

~Slayne
Old 11-15-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
darue_ivywood

Default movie

Sorry..Im bad with Actors names..

Didnt mean any disrespect by 'the old guy with the beard' but you knew what I was referring to.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:30 PM   #6
Abneo

So its good? My Fiance made me watch the first one and I went into it thinking oh brother a damn kid movie. Well I ended up loving the movie and usually pop it in every few weeks. After I watched the movie I read all the books in about a month now I am dying for the 5th book. I highly recommend all the books for as good as the movies are the books are alot better. Just becareful cause after you finish the 4th one you will be going nuts for the next one which is prolly a year away from what I hear.

Abneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #7
Qanadan
Supporter

I hope that Lord of the Rings 2 is better
Qanadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:17 AM   #8
Aeonn Fluxs

Send a message via AIM to Aeonn Fluxs
lil infustion .... eq and that lil freak wizzie

http://gucomics.keenspace.com
Aeonn Fluxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 05:47 AM   #9
Kerryn

I went to see it on Friday with the family and to be honest I regretted spending the cash.

First of all I hate Jason Isaacs, a british actor who played a nasty bastard in Soldier Soldier, a program over here, then later played the english tosser in The Patriot. So him playing Lucius Malfoy instantly pissed me off.

I'm beginning to think that way of Draco also. He's either a pitiful little bully in real life or he's a brilliant actor. I know what I'd bet on.

The idea of who "the heir" actually was was very tenuous. In fact it was plain stupid and you had to make a giant leap to get from the sleuthing to the culprit.

Finally Dobby was just a little too "perverse" for a children's movie.

"Dobby was so upset, Dobby had to iron his hands" It was just very very worrying that they put that in a kids film. Mind you my 6 year old thinks its ok to say "Bloody Hell" now which I'm not impressed with especially since a PG film ( Parental Guidance ) is not supposed to have any swearing in at all.

P.S. Their were spiders. Great big blumming spiders.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:48 AM   #10
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
>>I'm not impressed with especially since a PG film ( Parental Guidance ) is not supposed to have any swearing in at all.

I was watching Big (Tom Hanks movie where he turns into a kid). Towards the end of the movie, his kid friend barges into his office and says "Who the f* do you think you are!?"

That was a PG movie.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:32 AM   #11
Slayne

I ended up seeing it twice over the weekend. But as I said, I'm sucked into this little world now have reading the books /shrugs

Then again, I liked their choice for Malfoy's father.

~Slayne
Old 11-18-2002, 08:56 AM   #12
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Send a message via AIM to Siilverain Send a message via Yahoo to Siilverain
Default Loved it!

I think the cast of Harry Potter again did a superb job. And the choice for Lucius Malfoy was wonderful. He plays such a superb "bad guy".

Oh and Kerryn? While this is entirely my own opinion...The Harry Potter series (the books mind you) were meant for a slightly older child than 6. These were pre-teen+ books and the content in them was adjusted as such. So to a pre-teen, "Bloody Hell" really isn't that horrid considering he could have been saying, "Fuck!".

For the third movie, perhaps you might want to preview the movie in advance before letting your child watch it? I know that's what my family does and it saves heartache in the end.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:22 AM   #13
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
I may be wrong...but isn't Bloody rather naughty of a word over there in England?
Old 11-18-2002, 11:38 AM   #14
Arnwolf Magnuson
Iron Chef

Somehow..I don't think Kerryn has read the books...

Arnwolf
Arnwolf Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:51 AM   #15
Théodwyn

"Bloody" isn't a bad term.

"Bollocks" on the other hand.....

Or "Bugger".

Theo
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:15 PM   #16
Xazriz
Banned User

I am not going to see the second harry potter because the first one was so bad... the story line was terrible and the little kids annoyed me. it is the type of movie that i can understand someone of about the age of 8-13 enjoying.

Two Towers will be 100 times better than harry potter movies
fellowship of rings is 100 times better than harry potter movies
Xazriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:22 PM   #17
Aishen L`Fey
Princess Kooky

Send a message via AIM to Aishen L`Fey
I never read the books and didn't think I'd be remotely interested in Potterverse until I rented the first movie (after all, I'm a fully grown adult). But, it made me feel like a kid watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory again. Pretty cool. Finally bought the books and finished all of them in 4 days, 1 book/day; I was completely sucked into the story. Jonesin' to see the 2nd movie. Even though it's out, I gotta wait till my partner in crime comes back home.
Aishen L`Fey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 05:38 PM   #18
Slayne

Yes, lets compare the LoTR set of books/movies to the Potter books/movies.

Lets not take into mind that they are aimed at two different audiences, have two different styles of story telling, and just dont really appeal to all audiences.

The potter books may have been aimed at 8-13 yr olds, but that doesnt mean that only they will enjoy it. Your complaints are vague at best and do little to support any form of comparision to the two.

I know a lot of people that hated the first LoTR and wont see the second. So what does that make them? That because they didnt enjoy a story written someteen years ago that they should only watch the movies aimed at 8-13 yr olds?

I can understand some people not liking something. But dont give halfass answers and complaints and then boast something else, which in the eyes of another, is exactly what your whining about.

I for one enjoyed both Potter movies and the LoTR movie. I will see the second LoTR movie this Dec. But hey, I guess I'm a wierd 23 yr old who likes 8-13 yr old "kid" movies and sit in at LoTR with a thumb in my mouth and a blank expression on my face.

~Slayne
Old 11-18-2002, 06:23 PM   #19
Crysten

Send a message via ICQ to Crysten Send a message via AIM to Crysten
Default HP / LotR

I personally liked Chamber of Secrets, actually much better than the Sorcerer's Stone. I'm personally looking forward to the third though as it was my favorite out of the 4 books. Sadly the actor who played Dumbledore is dead though The Two Towers looks amazing as well. Will be taking off work / school to go see it first day
Crysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:35 PM   #20
Xazriz
Banned User

The potter books may have been aimed at 8-13 yr olds
correct
I guess I'm a wierd 23 yr old who likes 8-13 yr old "kid" movies
correct

the 1st potter movie is the worst movie ever made i am offended that you liked it.
Xazriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #21
Siilverain
The Wind Caller

Send a message via AIM to Siilverain Send a message via Yahoo to Siilverain
How sad.

~Siilver
Siilverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:56 PM   #22
Devla

I'd have to disagree. The worst movie ever made was Battlefield Earth :D

Regards,

CJ
Devla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:17 PM   #23
Napigsa

Harry Potter good movie? Not really. Lord of the Rings? Hell Ya.
Napigsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:53 PM   #24
TyriaEM

Send a message via AIM to TyriaEM Send a message via MSN to TyriaEM
I went out and saw Chamber of Secrets this weekend and have to say I liked it more than the first one, still liked the first one though.

It was a little darker and more serious than the first, true since you already know what the universe looks like they didn't spend a lot of time giving you "eye candy FX", except for the Quibbage(sp?) scene was done more artfully.

Gonna have to go to Dallas to see Two Towers on a bigger screen than is available here. CoS had the LotR:TT preview that I never got to see previously, liked that. The new superhero move with Ben Affleck playing the superhero coming out next year has me worried though....

~Tyria

Last edited by TyriaEM; 11-19-2002 at 09:07 AM.
TyriaEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:49 AM   #25
Kerryn

Somehow..I don't think Kerryn has read the books...

Arnwolf
You'd be wrong. I've read up to the Goblet of Fire and the books are great but the link in the film was still very tenuous. It was handle far better on paper.

I skipped back through []The Philosiphers Stone[/i] and the [i]Chamber of Secrets[/] this weekend and on none of the occasions where Ron swears in the film does he swear in the books.

So I chatted to a few people and several of us here agree that none of Joanne Rowling's books contain swearing.

Any parent will tell you that the difference between a 6 year old and an 8 year old is as long as a piece of string but I tell you this. I wouldn't want her watching masochism like that and hearing swearing in any films even if she was 12. Whilst I agree that "bloody" is never going to be one of the harshest swear words I still dont want her saying it.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote