Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
Ottur

Default Video cards and EQ

Was just curious what everyone considers to be the best video card for use with EQ. I am currently looking at the new ATI Radeon 9700. This card is supposedly the fastest thing around. Anybody out there that has one and can comment on it? And if you do have this card, are you using the new Asus P4S8X motherboard with it? (far as I know the only motherboard that has 8xAGP interface)

Other cards that are supposed to be xlnt are the Geforce 4600 and 4400. any comments?

Thanks for your feedback..

Ciao
Ottur
60 Heirophant
A Twist of Fate
Ottur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:29 PM   #2
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
All 3 cards would work great, The 9700 is the best card on the market but its expected that Nvidia will announce thier new card in a week or so, since if you go to thier website they already hint at it

Im Using a Geforce 3 and i have no problems. EQ is more RAM and CPU intensive then anything else.
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:03 PM   #3
Toxx

www.geforcefx.com

It will be faster than the Radeon. I think it's supposed to come out in spring some time.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:08 PM   #4
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
Toxx, why not go directly to nvidia's Site With Info
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Old 11-15-2002, 02:26 PM   #5
Katty
Pain so close to Pleasure

Personally i would not touch anything with the three letters A T and I in it.

They had some bad drivers in the past, and according to the rewievs i've read they are fast, but still lack some driver stuff.

Nvidia might be slower, but their driver support is FAR better.
and that counts for more IMO...
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #6
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
ATI have driver issues? NEVER! =)
Old 11-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #7
Saraquael

Send a message via ICQ to Saraquael Send a message via AIM to Saraquael Send a message via MSN to Saraquael Send a message via Yahoo to Saraquael
I've got the Radeon 9700 Pro / P4S8X combo. It works well in several other games but I don't play EQ so I'm not sure how it does in that.

Make sure you have one of the newer versions. Some of the early releases had issues where they won't run on 8x boards. ATI will RMA you a new one, but why deal with the hassle if you don't have to?

As far as performance, it works great so far. I've been anti-ATI pretty much until this came out. I'm sure when the NV30 comes out in spring it'll blow this away, but that can be said about any card... always something better and faster on the way.
Saraquael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
Ottur

Thanks for the responses folks. One must wonder why you are here if you don't play EQ Saraquael?? No worries..

Anyway, would love to hear more from people that DO have this combo and who DO play EQ..

BUMP

Thanks all

Ottur
Ottur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:49 AM   #9
TheClericBanton

I believe Saraquael is a retired EQ player, like myself? I dont see why if he did or did not would amtter anyway? Its a community not a religion...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Old 11-18-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
Netura

Send a message via AIM to Netura
new nvidia just announced, the geforce fx.

from what i hear its absolutely amazing.
Ive also heard from a few people that have been lucky enough to test it, that on all games that are out now there is *no* graphic slowdown/lag...

and there is the new pentium 4 3.06ghz...

/drool mode on
Old 11-18-2002, 04:51 PM   #11
TheClericBanton

Originally posted by Netura Skyomen
new nvidia just announced, the geforce fx.

from what i hear its absolutely amazing.
Ive also heard from a few people that have been lucky enough to test it, that on all games that are out now there is *no* graphic slowdown/lag...

and there is the new pentium 4 3.06ghz...

/drool mode on

Any who told you that they tested it are either lieing or work for Nvidia. Nvidia just recently got the beta chips back from tiawan, they didnt even have a showing of it at the confrence just videos of Tech Demos.

Im actually kinda depressed at the specs and info on it, I mean its only 3% faster then the Radeon 9700 and ATI is already making thier new card with even Better memory support then the 9700 and FX card (GDDR3).

Only big rumor im interested in is what Technology from 3dfx is in it..aka the FX tagged at the end.

If this is Nvidia's next card to beat ATI, thier introuble. With only 3% increase over the compition ATI doesnt have to work to hard to beat it.

Another thing is that Nvidia is including a new technology (pixel shader 2.0+) sure its great but how many companies are actually going to take the time to take full advange of this, is it really worth putting extra effort so that only a certain percent of the consumers can use it? heck you wouldnt even get full advantage of teh hardware unless you have an 8x AGP slot...

They ran the Doom 3 demo at 47fps, sure thats impressive but tehy didnt even bother mentioning the settings, it could have been at the lowest possible settings.

Sorry if i seem to be ranting but Im just pissed that for 3% more we have to pay 100 (maybe 200)bucks more.. kinda BS..

I really hope that in the 3 months till its release they show more off that will make it worth the high price and extra pc slot taken up( yes it takes 2 slots how due to its large cooler).
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Old 11-19-2002, 06:36 AM   #12
Nocte Sicarius

I just upgraded from a GeForce 2 Ti 64MB to the latest GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR.

Wow! EQ is like a completely new game. Color and texture depth are gorgeous!

Highly recommended card!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:28 PM   #13
Antheus/Arclite

A few of the original P4S8X mobos had a lot of issues(such as the troubles with agp 8x) as did the Radeon 9700, but the newer ones work brilliantly. If you can wait a bit perhaps wait for the new granite bay chipset the P4G8X which uses Dual Channel DDR. The P4S8X is great though, amazing overclocking options.

"Personally i would not touch anything with the three letters A T and I in it.

They had some bad drivers in the past, and according to the rewievs i've read they are fast, but still lack some driver stuff."

that's a very informative statement...they "still lack some driver stuff." There may have been some issues with the agp 8x when it first came out, but this happens with all new technology...it's resolved now so it's a mute point. Sure they may have had driver issues with the 8500, but there aren't any with the 9700 so once again why would it matter? Further more, if it were such shit i dont think Carmack would have opted to optimize doom 3 for the 9700...

As for NV30 blowing the 9700 away...i highly doubt it. Sure it will be faster considering it is going to be using newer technology, but it certainly wont "blow it away." Regardless, R350 will be coming out not too long after that anyways.

Anyways back on topic, if you have the cash to spare go for the 9700, but the GF4's are good choices as well.
Antheus/Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:33 AM   #14
Katty
Pain so close to Pleasure

Sorry i ain't a computer wiz. and technical terms tend to own me.

However i have friends who used ATI cards. and for they, if the game would even start, the graphics would be buggy. Or simplt didn't draw correct.

And from rewievs i've read on magazines. Iy was a very fast card. But still had driver issues, and stuff did not come out right.

Sure new drivers might be out. But i'd rather go from experience and choose Nvidia knowing there will be kick ass driver support with new drivers coming out to improve performance.

Just my opinion tho. I prefer nVidia for their driver support over the ATI's speed and bad past.
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:49 AM   #15
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
How quickly you forget the down right shitty drivers older ATI cards. Sure, they were reasonable stable this time around. That's what once in how many cards?

NVida all the way...

(course, I may be a biased Nvida shareholder....naaaaah
Old 11-20-2002, 07:40 AM   #16
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
I prefer nVidia, but my current PC is getting a Hercules Prophet 9700 Pro plugged in it.
Ice Weasel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:07 PM   #17
Antheus/Arclite

Originally posted by Nire
How quickly you forget the down right shitty drivers older ATI cards.
Considering i stated just that i dont think i forgot. nice try though

As for all the biases against ATI because they did have these driver issues, it's understandable when they're having them...not when they arent.
Antheus/Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:28 PM   #18
Qanadan
Supporter

I switched to Nvidia and have noticed a difference for the better.
Qanadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #19
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
I am running a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128DDR, and am pretty damn happy

I would never go LD if it wasn't for my dial up modem
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #20
khyrsaor

Another thing is that Nvidia is including a new technology (pixel shader 2.0+) sure its great but how many companies are actually going to take the time to take full advange of this, is it really worth putting extra effort so that only a certain percent of the consumers can use it? heck you wouldnt even get full advantage of teh hardware unless you have an 8x AGP slot...
EQ2 uses that technology...part of the reason why NVidia is including it. Also, once the gaming world sees how incredibly smooth that engine is, they will start using this technology too...no more images wrapped around polygons.
khyrsaor is offline   Reply With Quote