Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2002, 09:34 AM   #1
SureDeath

Question Building a website. Need some pointers.

I am going to be building a website and Iam clueless on where to start. I found a site, www.domain.com, to register a domain name and get started but I am currious if that is all it takes before I take the plunge. /shiver

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Suredeath Soundsgood
SureDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
Panidwen

Well this really depends on what you want to do. Is this a small personal website or something bigger? If it is just a personal website you may want to look into a free web host.

Another question that needs an answer is will you have a lot of pictures/sounds etc for downloading. If so you will have to go with a paid webhost, places like geocities restrict the bandwidth used per hour and will disable your site each time it is exceeded.

Also unless you know HTML you might want to invest in a HTML program such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage. These are both fairly easy to use. Dreamweaver is a bit more in depth and I found manages sites better.

Just remember a website is just like a pet it requires maintenance and commitment. All to often people make webpages and end up forgetting them so make sure its worth the money before you pay any money.

Panidwen
58th Druid of karana
(guildless)
Panidwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
SureDeath

Thx for info. It's just going to be an on going project to see what I can do. I know enough HTML to get me started and I also will be getting Dramweaver. Just wanted to see if anyone had pointers and opinions on where to host etc.....

Maybe I'll end up with a site like Dwark's :P
/shiver

Suredeeth Soundsgood
55 Necro
Old 11-14-2002, 12:52 PM   #4
Brinen

Send a message via AIM to Brinen
Well if your really serious about it, then you should buy or get a computer to use as a server for your webset. I would then suggest installing linux (i prefer redhat) and setup an apache web server. This will allow you to not only use HTML but you can also delve into mod perl, cgi, javascript and alot of other options.

This would cost more money than using a free web hosting site but it does give you alot more fexibility.

Brinen
Brinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:46 PM   #5
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
Alternately you could just install Linux on your normal box ... or even easier download the Windows versions of apache, perl, and mysql ... and you have everything you need to build a complex website on your own computer. Much more convenient than trying to develop stuff on a remote host.

Ssetti

PS. Forget Frontpage, Dreamweaver, and all the rest of that crap. Buy Textpad and learn HTML, you won't regret it.
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #6
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
If you're trying to learn HTML, the best way to do it is just save the html files on your hard drive and check things out from there.

If you want to practice Cgi-Bin or other scripting, I can set up a webuser account for you on my domain for free.

Nire
Old 11-14-2002, 03:28 PM   #7
Zolmaz Zo'Boto

I bought Frontpage just 3 days ago and I am learning alot
about building a web page. Even a small site will take
much dedication.

If its for fun then use one of the many online site builders
and they will even host your site. With limitations but
you can actually make your site online for 4.95 + a month.

If it's for Business then spare no expense and take classes
for 6 months and prepare yourself. Learning the code'
will be extremely valuable.

I have Frontpage because I'm used to the functions of it.
I use Corel9 to design all the buttons and graphics I need
then convert them through the same then Other programs
to meet my needs.

Know what you want to accomplish, Write it down, Make a game
plan on how you will reach those goals, Then look for the
information that suits you to meet them.

Btw, If you can do that , Hell man, You should own your own
business. Like me.

Zolmaz Zo'Boto <------That Gnome
Zolmaz Zo'Boto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:04 PM   #8
Nire

Frontpage is the debil
Old 11-15-2002, 02:19 AM   #9
Jadn

Send a message via AIM to Jadn
www.geocities.com
www.expage.com

These are both free services that have simple tools you can use to make a web page. Although perhaps not the most visually stunning thing, atleast go there (geocities would be better), use their ez-editor thing that requires no downloads or anything, it's all web based, and make a page so you can see how its constructed and how changing a number in the body tag can change the font color, or background color, etc. You cant just throw money up to the top and expect to have a sweet site. You need to start at the basics!
Jadn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:47 AM   #10
Vinmar the Wizard

Default Cheap a easy :)

I use freewebspace dot com's service and its great!
Its web-based editor and all. If you can work around what options are available their customer service is outstanding, my emails for troubles get answered the same day I send them. Feel free to check out the guild website I built with it through my signature links, if images weren't nerfed hehehe. You will find that there are lots of neat things you can do
I pay around a dollar a meg all inclusive and use 100megs meaning 100 bucks a year for the whole enchalada, domain name is separate if you want that, otherwise your site will be
yoursitename dot freewebsite dot com
Enjoy
Vinmar the Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:07 PM   #11
Nire

Is that $100 US a year you're paying?
Old 11-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #12
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
Hmm ... I pay $180/yr for a gig of storage, 50 pop boxes, unlimited pop redirects, full perl/php/asp/cf/shtml/SSL support, a 500mb MySQL database, and a bandwidth quota I'm never going to come anywhere near using. Oh, and a domain name.

$100/yr for 100mb is kinda crappy.
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:33 PM   #13
Nire

/agree Ssetti
Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 PM   #14
Skerry

Frontpage is evil. Be careful with it because while 75% of it is normal everday mainstream html and stuff, the rest is Microsoft proprietary BS that confuses most new web designers than helps.

As for what to do and where to start, lot of good ideas but as for learning HTML, while checking out other sites is good, you can also hit some of sites out there that give free tutorials and information on web designing in general.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep it simple at first and add the more complex thigns as you go, web designing can get very deep very fast and can really burn out new designers.

ExOfficer - Divine Synergy (by choice)
Skerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:30 AM   #15
SureDeath

Wow Thx all. That's a lot of good info and exactly what I was looking for. While I have no clue about perl, cgi, etc.. sounds like it might be good to check out. For now I think I'll start small and then work into it.

Though it would probably be the better way to go I have no clue how to set up another computer as a server ( not sure I could afford it anyway ). I do have experience in Unix/Linix (redhat 7.0 or higher.. I forget) but it's been a year since I touched the stuff and I never got into the Networking side it things.

I'll just start small for now and see where I end up. :P

Thx for all the suggestions and comments.

Suredeeth Soundsgood
55 Necromancer

"Don't make fun of the way Jobober laughs! He'll laugh the same way when he's kicking your ass."