Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default Distant Memories / Old Stomping Grounds

Yesterday, when I took a portal from PoK to Freeport to go buy gems, I felt like I was out of place. Freeport just didn't seem part of the game anymore.

A few weeks ago I was bored, so I went on a rampage in Blackburrow... and it seemed ancient. It felt like I was playing a character from a brand new game, but in real old game environment.

I feel like there is still a bridge there, but the gap is ever widening. Things just don't seem the same as much as they used to.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:56 PM   #2
Deviator

do what i did, start a new char and dont twink at all. i started 2 chars 1 on each account, i play them together, i dont twink, hell i died so many times it aint funny. but it brings back the old memories i had when i was young and didnt know anything. give it a shot, you might get that feeling back once again.
Deviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Miiphon

Send a message via AIM to Miiphon
I know the feeling. When playing my alts I see the experience bar move every kill. It reminds me back when my main was that level yet i felt like i was going nowhere. Non-twinking alts is fun, but difficult to break the habit of saying "man---i could have 250 int right now and not be medding". That's been my challenge so far-getting used to the downtime again.
Miiphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:05 PM   #4
Krrak

Do it the easy way - to avoid the twinking - I started char's on other servers - only one per server - and play them when I need a refresh on what it is like to be newbified (new word =p )
Krrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:02 AM   #5
Garoan
At your cervix

I found that the old saying "You can never go home again" holds true here. Try what you want, not twinking, making characters on other servers, etc, you will never be able to recapture the feeling you had at level 5 the first time.

You know about the trap in the tree inside the zone at blackburrow, and you know where all the zones are. You don't have to worry about travel now, because you know where all the bad guys are. Heck, you even know that the dark elf dude in the commons is not a PC just screwing with you.

Thankfully, I still really enjoy the game in so many ways. Exp grinding blows, but the rest of the game is genuine fun.

Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Garoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
Ssetti

Send a message via MSN to Ssetti
I long ago gave up on ever rekindling the sense of mystery and adventure that we all had when we started playing EQ. To my astonishment, I recently found it again ... playing AO. Which has improved beyond belief since release a year or so ago, and is now a sufficiently solid and *different* game to have drawn me away from EQ for the most part.
Ssetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:19 AM   #7
Théodwyn

When I read this post, I started to reminisce.

How long it seemed that I was in the WFP newbie area. How I got mauled by orc pawns.

The first time I ran to Qeynos to do my headbands. I started on these things right away. Boy was I scared to death.

Boats. Egads.

And then I had a flash of how things change. I remembered a Fear raid (a plane, somewhere I thought I'd never get to) when I got my first piece of Shiverback in Fear (I'd gotten a couple of pieces from haunted chests in Hate). Actually, as I remember it, that was the day we dropped a golem for Frekkels' epic. Killed the three golems the first time I'd ever seen them (I'd been cross-zone deathtouched a bajillion times by then).

Anyhow, so I remembered the Shiverback. Yeah, a crap item. But a monstrous sense of accomplishment.

And then, BAM! Reality check.

A couple of weeks ago I was having dinner with some friends and spouses, most of whom play EQ. One of them told me how it was a bit of a fad to farm your Fear/Hate planar armor to..... get this..... look retro.

!!!!!

Theo
Théodwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:09 AM   #8
Frekkels

Default that Fear raid

Hail,

I'll never forget that raid. I think we heard your name shouted at least 50+ times. I think that was actually my very first Fear raid too. I was very impatient at the beginning, waiting at the portal for over an hour before the break-in group said the rest of us could come up. Had no idea why it wasn't safe to zone into a fully popped plane with 30+ people from 3 guilds.

Of course I died about 10 seconds after entering the plane, having no idea what/where/who anything was. I learned to hate Scarelings very early. I remember my hands shaking throughout portions of the raid. I was more afraid of screwing up than anything else. I remember really wanting to ask you to pull the turmoil toads, (which you didn't do) because they could drop what I thought was an AWESOME belt. (I have one on a mule now, and have since given at least one away. )

I also vividly remember falling through that tree in Blackburrow with my first character (on Tunare server). Landing right smack into a full group fighting the spawns down there by the water. They conned me and were like, "Whoa, what are you doing down here little one?" I was scared out of my tailored studded leather boots. They propped me up with heals until I could finally channel a gate through. There was very little of the "watch people die" mentality back then that you see so often now.

The first time I traveled to Velious. I was so timid, I didn't do much more than run back and forth from the spires to Thurgadin for tradeskill components. Later, falling to my death at the EW/GD zone chasm. I think everyone does that at least once.

It is VERY entertaining now to send Equestrielle to her maker after all the deaths my dear Giah suffered from her hooves over our playing careers. But it isn't the same when I zone into Lfay anymore. That was a very scary zone because of that dark horse for a LONG time for us.

Take care,
Frekkels
Frekkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #9
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
>>A couple of weeks ago I was having dinner with some friends and spouses, most of whom play EQ. One of them told me how it was a bit of a fad to farm your Fear/Hate planar armor to..... get this..... look retro.

Hey, let's farm those items just for the gems!
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:23 PM   #10
Jarmon

Default yar

I remember thinking I had met some kind of angel when aguy inspected me at the Kelethin bank and gave me a runed totem staff (my very first magical equipment). I thought he had made a HUGE sacrifice... now I know it was just crap rotting in his bank. At the time though, I though I was the MAN!

And Frekkels, I remember WAY before Equestrielle was 'corrupted' and seeing her when she was a rare spawn. I was fighting the bandit sisters and she walked right up and stood there like she was watching me. My utter and complete FEAR turned into a kind of wonder and I trailed her around the zone for a bit. It was as if Tunare herself had shown her favor (geez, I was so NEW!). Anyway, it was a really cool feeling!

"Friends don't let friends drink and port."

Last edited by Jarmon; 11-14-2002 at 01:30 PM.
Jarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Chiteng
Supporter

Default re: memories

It would be hard to beat the first time you encountered
Lockjaw or the first time you had to try and run to Unrest
without knowing where it was.

Remember the time they patched the game and suddenly
all the bugs in Unrest started to cooperate? The entire zone
became an instant death trap.

I think Unrest had a special magic, in that you would see
many more mobs simply because of the horrendous trains.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:59 AM   #12
Magimookoo

oh those were the days i remember waaay back with my character Ponin fighting in crushbone, never been across the water onto antonica before and a friend told me about oasis. I was in awe, thinking of battling dangerous crocodiles on the beach. (hey i'm an aussie)
haha so i sent my godly friend a tell, first really high lvl character i met (Freies at lvl 50 back when that was the limit) and asked if he could port me over. I can never hope to experience that feeling of being new and traveling across the desert sands into the oasis of marr, having no clue where anything was, being on the lookout for mummies and madman, oh i was scared lol.

Nowadays everything is known, theres no fun in the actual game itself. The only thing that keeps me going is my guild and my friends, those people i can never tire of.

Back then was the time where i learnt the most important thing i've learned in this whole game imo, and that was to say the full word for please and thank you. It probably seems trivial but people do take notice.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:13 AM   #13
Frekkels

Hail,

Holly Windstalker and her partner...what was his name?
The ones that would run around whacking people hunting the bears & wolves. I also remember that I used to only kill rabid animals because of RP reasons, and actually refused to group with some people because I saw them hunting bears.

I was there for the GM event when they killed that wandering Ranger off permanently. That was around the time of the Rude Individuals I think. Kept hoping my RP skills would win me something. (Didn't happen.)

Take care,
Frekkels
Frekkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 12:45 PM   #14
Fromanizer

Finally getting the nads to travel form Qeynos hills to Freeport was quite a ordeal , it was so much fun the first couple of times I made that trip. I remember being scared to death when I made it to HHP for the first time . What fun.
Fromanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:11 PM   #15
Giliane

Default Holly and Cros

Originally posted by Frekkels

Holly Windstalker and her partner...what was his name?

Cros Treewind.

First char was a half elf druid out of Surefall, those two killed me often when a rabid would attack me. Gave up that char and rerolled a wood elf Spent about an hour running around the tree house looking for a way down and then another 10 or so trying to figure the lift out. Maxed alcohol tolerance in the tree house, though

Giliane 53 druid
Mlaru 24 mage
Giliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:08 PM   #16
Muertissimo

Send a message via AIM to Muertissimo
Few weeks ago I ported to Nektulos to hook up with a friends twink in LS. First thing I did was run over to the newbie log to see the tree I killed and died at, loving every minute of it. A tree which used to have anywhere from 5 to 20 people killing every thing moved, and dying more often than not.

There was no one there

That when it hit me how far this game has come. The old zones have very little to offer any more and going back to them just doesn't seem the same. The memories I have of them I will always cherish however, as well as the awe of seeing new creatures/zones (omg a hill giant run!). Seeing my friend Keilson solo a sand giant in Oasis all by himself was the most impressive thing I had ever seen up to that point! I still have screen shots of it

On the other hand though. Last week I think it was (or week before I forget heh), MF killed Aerin Dar for the first time (glass dragon in PoV). This lets you zone into Halls of Honor. The feeling I got not only matched but surpassed the feeling of old. Looking out into the gorge stretched out before us with the sunset on the horizon, I had a feeling of awe. It was almost as if we had found some hidden Utopia, long lost to the rest of civilization. The Lost City of Gold if you will That's when it hit me how far I had come in this game.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that sense of excitement and wonder can still be found in this game if you look in the right places. It's a world that keeps growing with all new types of places to explore and conquer. It's amazing that a mere game has been able to hold my attention for as long as this one has.

Muertissimo Drachmarr
Grave Lord
Midnight Fury
Muertissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 05:33 AM   #17
Katty
Pain so close to Pleasure

Went down to neriak recently.

Had to explore the whole city again just due to nostaliga.
When i made my first char i was lost in there for forever.

Then i went out to Nektolous Forest, and found to my suprise alot of stinky little haffers everywhere.

Had to go kill some just for the hell of it. Were so few of them when i played

Proceeded to East Commons and found the tunnel empty, felt very wrong. used to be trade central.

Aaah, the good old days.
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 09:53 AM   #18
Chiatae

going to EC tunnel just seems creepy now.
Chiatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:06 PM   #19
Skerry

Commented to my guild just yesterday about this very thing.

I went into Oasis, did a quick who for th ehell of it. 19 people.

19?!

Then I do a track real quick. . and lockjaw is on track, so started runnign around (never turned off track by the way)... got to the docks to get on the raft (lock jaw still on track). Sat and waited abit for the raft to move (lock jaw still on track) raft began moving started to float away (lock jaw STILL on track) finally some 60+ necro killed him. Meanwhile the whole time MAYBE 2 people on the doc, and a few stragglers killing crocs.

I just remember when Oasis was the 30+ people fighting over crocs and lockjaw didnt last 2 seconds after pop let alone 5 + minutes.

The old days are gone.

ExOfficer - Divine Synergy (by choice)
Skerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #20
Jaxartes

Send a message via AIM to Jaxartes
Thats probably the reason why i quit eq. To many memories! I loved the old everquest game far far better than the new one. I also miss Storm's Fury tremendously !!! Damnit. Gimmie back SF or gimmie death!!! Probably my best memory in this entire game is when Storm's Fury killed Innoruk for the first time. That sent some massive chills to my spine. I fell asleep at the keyboard during cr.... I woke up....6:30 a.m. for one last attempt and we fuckin rocked that bastard!!!!!! OH MY GOODDDDDDD!!! HELLLL YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! My best memory in Midnight Fury has got to be killin AoW for the first time....what a rush, more importantly all the friends i had in Midnight Fury (group huggle). Damnit, now im sad!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:06 PM   #21
Antheus/Arclite

i dont think i could every play anything and have as much fun as i had in the original EQ...The world just seemed so huge back then when gaining experience wasnt the focus but rather experiencing the game itself. You just dont get that feeling of utter terror when you see some huge mob you've never seen before chase you down. It may just be the way i feel, but i dont think any game could captivate me as much as EQ had 3 years ago.
Antheus/Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote