Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
Lorinar

Default Haxor question...

The other day I was on AOL (actually trillian but anyway) I was speaking to 2 diffrent people one of them wanted to know who I was talking to, and out of the blue he guessed the right name. Now I know this is not a coincidence. Is there anyway he could have found this out?? Possibly with some kind of hack?? All 3 of us were on trillian if that matters??
Old 10-11-2002, 08:49 PM   #2
Igota

If you are on a static IP and have no real fire wall up, there are a few programs that can do show that rather easily.

If you are using a fire wall it gets a little trickier, but not at all imposible. If both the people are friends of yours I would be more willing to accept that he just got lucky on the guess.

/shrug
Old 10-11-2002, 08:55 PM   #3
Lorinar

Whats a good firewall that I could use?? any suggestions??
Old 10-11-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
Igota

If you are on a high speed internet connection and using a router they usually have one built in, just look in the instructions on how to set it up, granted they are not all that good, but it will stop your everyday bored friend.

If you are looking for something good you will have to shell out some cash for it (not worth it if you ask me, but I am not nervous of my info being stolen so take my opinion with a grain of salt). The only commercial product I have used is McAfee Firewall version 2.10. I set it up on a computer that I was useing as a gateway and file server, the only time I tried to get around the wall I was not able to easily.

I don't have much experiance with firewalls so hopefuly someone with some experiance will step in and give you some advice based on some facts and not just one use
Old 10-12-2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Darue Ivywood

for firewalls...the question you need to ask is..

how paranoid are you and how much money do you want to spend?

I mean, you can get a cisco router for several thousand $$'s that would take a real good hacker to get by it (granted you dont download things such as trojans and the like) or you can get a decent router for a hundred or so.

I would recommend a hardware firewall over a software firewall anyday.

But if you download trojans, all is a moot point.

Old 10-12-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
Dwarkarn

Give Zone Alarm a try, it's always worked pretty well for me.

You can download it for free here...

www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp