Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 PM   #26
Igota
Supporter

PoP has some really nice content in it, but just some content is not what I loved about EQ.

Yes the current generation of EQ'ers projects a much more Counter Strike atmosphere then before. It may have just been me, but the over all character/quality of the players seemed to go WAY down in the last 1-2 years.

And there is always a good chance that you will like the current version of EQ, I mean, there are like 400,000 people playing so it can't be a bad game.

Please don't get me wrong, there are a ton of great people who still play and there are a lot of new comers that are very good, I just don't see the same environment I used to know and love.

I played EQ for the adventure and the friends, and later (in the higher lvls when I had been almost everywhere) I played almost entirely for the friends. For me now, the game really has nothing to offer except itself as a time sink, I still keep in touch with the friends out of game, the sense of adventure is gone (even though they add new content none of it gives me that feeling of adventure that it once did), and I just don't enjoy playing any more.

Take all that with a grain of salt, I know it sounds like I am terribly pessimistic and such, but that is pretty much the way I feel about EQ now. I loved the game, played it for well over three years, but that time in my life is over, I have more things to do in RL now, as well as no desire to commit myself to it anyway.

Hope some of that helps you, and good luck deciphering it
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:54 PM   #27
Wilerili

Hmm EQ can be fun at times, but once you start getting too involved with people and guilds you find yourself in little pyschological wars. Heh, guess some people do play the game detached from the thought that there's people behind the characters, I should try that sometime. If I knew then what I know now, I would have never played EQ. I would be happily working on my web site, doing graphics and playind Trivia or Scrabble with real friends. No matter what way you play sooner or later you'll find yourself pissed off at someone, hurt by someone or upset at VI. If you got out I wouldn't recommend coming back.

People play EQ to escape sometimes but most of the time RL is much better and you don't have to put up with people hiding behind a computer screen. Plus if you pick up a hobby of some sort you'll have more than virtual items that are ephimeral.

I started playing when Kunark came out, it was an amazing game and you met amazing people. I like some things in PoP but I really hate the level increase and the trials.
Wilerili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:39 AM   #28
Rairun

I played from mid 99 until the day luclin came out. I had a lot of fun during this time, but the magic was gone and I quit. Then a few months later I found myself missing the old times, so I thought about it and decided to reactivate my account. It didn't do a thing to me, it was just not the same anymore.

I've let it expire again and won't be coming back. I don't know PoP, but I don't think it would change things much to me. As Igota said, it's not about the content. I really had a great time during the years I played, but I don't think I can have it the same way again, be it in EQ or any other MMORPG.
Rairun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:41 AM   #29
Jellybean
Jelly: It's what's for dinner

Send a message via AIM to Jellybean
I played for the sole reason that I liked the people in my guild (check out the sig, foo!) for about... a year. It's hard to say goodbye to the people you'd been playing a game with for 2 years or so, especially when fun things keep happening!

Then... I think you all know what happened!

"I hope you drown in this mess you make, of your self-inflicted hate. You turn your back on the friends you lose, when they don't follow all your rules. But people are what they want to be, they're not lemmings to the sea. Maybe it's time that you looked at yourself. Quit blaming life on someone else."
Jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:37 AM   #30
Toxx

Default hey

Originally posted by Metzen
Toxx if you dont come back I'l hunt you down and stab you in the eye... That is all...

/wave Toxx
Originally posted by Assonace
Hey Helius, well man I enjoy playing my monk but the rest is pretty boring to me, They nerfed monks also, But mines still fucking uber, I got hacked which blew ass... But If in deed you do come back get up with me about some gear and PLing....

P.S. Make a Melee
E-mail me doods:

mmoransk@zoo.uvm.edu
Old 11-14-2002, 02:56 PM   #31
PrincessRazz

I would say not its not worth it. Look into SWG that is gonna be the shit when it comes out

Razz
PrincessRazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #32
Oumadar

Send a message via MSN to Oumadar
EQ blows goats. The generation of lake of ill omen newbs, faggos-baggos and loot whores have grown up. Many people can be easily labeled "idiot".
Old 11-14-2002, 07:25 PM   #33
Kindel

I quite EQ in April to Play Daoc with some friends and it was a blast.. then about summer I lost my internet service and just got it back about 2 or 3 weeks ago and Im back in EQ loving every bit of it I am reunited with Awesome Old Friends and you know i don't play near as much as I use to and im trying to keep a hold on it lol I had quite before because it became to addictive and I liked to play EQ over doing RL stuff with RL Friends.
What ever Decision you make Toxx Just Have Fun!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:21 AM   #34
Ozzin T'Arc

Send a message via ICQ to Ozzin T'Arc Send a message via Yahoo to Ozzin T'Arc
I have started playing this game from the day it came out.. and i loved it (still do)..and have found a lot of (mature) friends in this game..but most of them are on US time schedule

Due the Fact im playing on Euro times i was quite often forced to solo my Wizzie wich was become hard at the end... so i stopped playing him at level 56.

At that time i got enough of Everquest and gave all my stuff away what i had gathered with the Wizard and Warrior, but after about 6 months of not playing i got the icky feeling that i wanted to return to the game...

So.... i created a Necro (wich is the best char in game IMHO
And started all over again... thusfar the only thing i get is a lot of fun..
Importand thing is that you must forget the highlevel char when you start all over...you will see you get the joy back from the past

A Proud (Erudite) Necro

"Too many of us are spending money we haven't earned, to buy things we don't need to impress people we don't like"
Ozzin T'Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:51 AM   #35
TyriaEM

Send a message via AIM to TyriaEM Send a message via MSN to TyriaEM
Running with the crowd here, if I had to restart from level one, I think I'd probably put a pencil through my eye first. It would be painful for far less time than trying to go through it all again.

I'm in complete agreement with Pre-Kunark being the highest point in the game. Lots of love everywhere, toons in full rubi walking around while those of lower level looked on and drooled (does anyone even still have a full set of that?), and everyone walked around "Thou"ing and scoffing the PKs of UO that the folk of EQ fled from.
TyriaEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:11 AM   #36
Toxx

Default Well..

Well, I'll give it a shot. I took a break for awhile I guess, starting over might be fun. I have a few friends power leveling me through the early levels. Once I manage to get past the Orc Camp stages I'm going to go at it alone.

I remember playing Toxx through those mid teens and through the 30s, up to level 49, I think were the most enjoyable levels for me.

Anyway, Liltoxx will be around at different times.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:44 PM   #37
Ubaj

Default weird

Kinda odd.... I was asking myself this same question a couple of weeks ago. That said, it seems the game has changed a whole lot since I left. Not only that, it seems like a whole "generation" (for lack of a better word) is gone. I doubt I could come back again, huzzah for the next game
Ubaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 05:55 PM   #38
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Ubaj sucks

better than anyone I know.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:35 AM   #39
Danzin

Ok Toxx I've seen you posting on the boards for some time now giveing your 2cp here and there and heres what I got to say...

If you enjoyed the game when you first started and feel you may be able to get that feeling back then yes. Granted I know if I ever had to start over I'd likly consider very hard if I wanted to continue playing... To this day I love the game except for when I run into asses like the one posted in Rants and flames section as well as scammers. I think the new PoP has a lot to offer HE players and yeah Sony is always making changes some better some worse, but like us there human to and regardless of what anyone says or whines about there doing what they the makers or at least the ones in charge of if think will be best for the game.

If your looking for something to just pass the time I'd say yeah as well. Eq as a vetern yourself I'm sure know is a well known time passer. And now with the custom UI feature you can make what your screen looks like to fit you and your charters personality.

On a side note from my first statment your a smart ass at times but typically make sense of any given situtation at least as I know you here on the boards and sometime can be harsh but thats a good person to have around at times. Other times not so good, but then again with each good there comes the not so good as well its all part of give and take. And I think there will be many happy to see ya back...though thats just a guess since I really don't know ya.

On a final note like Iggy said take the time to eval what you like and don't like and see if the good out weight the bad if they do then give it a shot or hell at worst come back for a month and if it draws you in again then stick with it till you get tired of it again.
Its all a matter of personal choice, but does eq have what it takes to start over at lvl one yeah I think so granted it would be a grueling proccess that could cause one to go fucking insane from but I think the content is still there and is fun to play. Nuff said of my mindless ramblings...

Danzin Wyndon...
57th Season Wood Elf Ranger
Guild Leader "Elder Blades"
Danzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:45 AM   #40
Ubaj

Default who told?!

You are confusing me with your mom again Nire.... word on the street is she can suck a bowling ball through a standard issue garden hose.... NO SMALL FEAT! :P
Ubaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:35 AM   #41
Toxx

Originally posted by Danzin
Nuff said of my mindless ramblings...
Great advice actually, thanks.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:00 PM   #42
Jellybean
Jelly: It's what's for dinner

Send a message via AIM to Jellybean
UBAJ SEXOR ME NOW PLZ KTHX!!!

"I hope you drown in this mess you make, of your self-inflicted hate. You turn your back on the friends you lose, when they don't follow all your rules. But people are what they want to be, they're not lemmings to the sea. Maybe it's time that you looked at yourself. Quit blaming life on someone else."
Jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:28 AM   #43
The Lone Ranger

Everquest has changed a lot since the first expansion, Kunark.

Less populated, but it was for the better. People were still learning about the game. There were no spoiler sites, no guides to farming plat or being uber. Everything had a sense of adventure to it.

Finding new places, discovering tradeskill recepies, solving quests were loads of fun. I remember some friends and I getting all giddy about finding secret passages in the upper level of HHK.

Hunting back then was a blast too. Meeting new people and learning how to play your character was really fun. Gaining exp back then wasn't a chore it was fun and adventure. There were no maps of the zone you had to find your own way around.

Nobody was *uber* and there wasn't an accepted term or slang for most things everybody was still learning. You were on your own when it came to most things and that's what created the adventurous feel to the game.

Now everquest is full of high level content, and tedium. People fight over loot, over mobs, over trains over lots of stuff. Gaining experience is a very time consuming thing, and it's not too fun.

Spoiler sites reveal zone maps, quests, items, and mob info weeks after the expansions are released now. Not much is left to adventure and explore for most people. You learn about things before you see them first hand, ruining the surprise and excitement.

The most fun times I had in Everquest was when I first started. The fun is starting from scratch and building your character up from nothing, learning new things and meeting new people along your adventure. Dreaming about one day how you will be more powerful.

I still play Everquest casually but it has lost that initial enchantment. I stay around because I can still find fun in the game through helping friends, questing, or raiding to kill something. The sense of adventure isn't as strong as it used to be but I can still find it. I think I will continue to play everquest as long as I am having fun.

Thaddius Woodland
Warder
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:03 AM   #44
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Haha!

Ubaj you will always be a dirty dirty bastard!