Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2002, 02:37 PM   #1
Gilgamel Avamar

Default Any dialup experts want to give me a modem suggestion?

Okey folks, I have a problem. My computer at home is online 99% of the time. Because of this, my modems die at an amazing rate(2-3 a year). There is no cable access or DSL in my area, so I have to stick to dialup. That said, what would you suggest? Keep buying 30 buck generic modems that last 4 months? Or buy a good modem that should last longer? I think I'm going to buy a good one. If I go for the good one, what is the most dependable cost effective modem I can buy? Thanks. All help appreciated.

Gilg
Old 10-11-2002, 03:57 PM   #2
Ssetti

Get a US Robotics external with a serial port attachment. They're pricey ... but I dropped mine in a lake a few months back and it still works just fine. Also it's one of the amazingly few still available that works under Linux
Old 10-11-2002, 08:10 PM   #3
Bubu DwarfEater

Default the man is right

USR external 56k V92 is the most dependable modem you can get. Its pricy bout 90 bucks I think...but its got a 5 year warranty and it will get the max con speed out of the phoneline you have.

yanno, now that I think about it a USR internal is the cheeper route if you dont got the $ to splurge on an external, but I don't know about theirr life span
Old 10-12-2002, 08:13 AM   #4
Leomarth

Default Re: the man is right

I bought a internel modem, no name brand, but it has a Intel chipset on it. Its lasted me over a year. Bought it for a song, like $10 at Frys Electronics.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
Kerryn Darkwater

Default cheap

What's happening is that your modem is getting hot and its never getting to cool down because it's connected all the time.

As it gets hotter the parts wear, the board expands and it will break. This is going to happen to any internal modem in time.

Either way I wouldn't worry because your motherboard, graphics card and sound card are doing the same and they're going to break soon too.

Switch your computer off at night people. Just because someone told you computers are so good you can leave them on all the time now doesn't mean you should.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:09 PM   #6
Darue Ivywood

i dunno bout that...mine has been on 7 years and still counting..

well besides the sometime shutdowns for preventative maintenance (ie cleaning dust bunnies from the ventilation system).

Hell, I have worked on computers that have been running for over 15 years..only to shut down for what I mentioned above.
PM's. (RLO2 disks anyone?)

They break only if its cheap s.hit.

edit..most commercial electronics are spec'd at 85' C with a junction temp. of 115' C. you should only exceed that if you dont have fans in your PC. Boards are rated at over 200' C. Still not a problem. The main thing that will cause break down is cheap capacitors on the motherboard or subsequent cards. Cheap manufacturers buy cheap components (cheap electrolytic caps for the most part becuase Oscon's are rather expensive..~$1.00 ea.) and the electrolyte dries up which causes blue screen errors when people think its the software acting up.

As far as modems breaking down... They use mechanical relays, any time a mechanical piece is moved over an over again...yes, it will eventually break. Solid state is the way to go, but then you pay for it as well.

Old 10-12-2002, 08:44 PM   #7
Nirecnad the Trademaster

USR internals are pretty reliable too.

I also leave my internet connected and my USR internal lasts. I've went through a lot of them lately, but they've been getting fried by lightning. That's why I bought the extended warranty in the store. It's nice to be able to bring it back when ever no questions asked!

Old 10-12-2002, 10:36 PM   #8
Stacy the Druid

Darue is probably the reason everquest mainframe servers crash alot. Why, because he is an idiot. You can run your computer continuously. With a large cooling fan support or keeping computer in a very cool room. The temperatures he quotes are the temps where the computers plastic starts intergrating into your motherboard (melting). Optimum running temperature for any large size computer system is 65 degrees F. I have worked on mainframe computers for 20 years and any major corporation has a computer room with thermistat controlled to this or close to this temperature.

Question you should ask yourself. Why do I need my computer on 24/7? While I am using a dial-up? If your computer is on 27/7 and you are on dial-up you need help. If it's for business or a program you are working on then maybe I could understand. If your leaving your computer on all the time you parents or yourself must be rich, cause I cant afford to pay utility bill over 150.00 a month. Least by california prices and I don't leave my computer on. It comes on when I walk in the door and turns off when I walk out the door. Saving your work on a repeated basis the shutting down computer for a extended period would help. Buying a modem with it's own fan or buying a fan for your existing modem might do the trick.

Leaving a computer on for an extreme amount of time is crasy. Even high demand computer hardware companies have cool off periods usually once a week. Maybe this is something you should think about.

No matter, this is just my 2 cents on the matter. I wish you luck on whatever you decide.

Stacy
Old 10-13-2002, 10:02 AM   #9
Darue Ivywood

MELTING???!!??..HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

YOu are the idiot..honestly.

When was the last time you have performed burn-in tests? Ya know, the 1000 hour burn in tests on IC's? Im betting never if you dont even know what IC's are spec'd at.

Maybe you should work on developing IC's before you open your mouth and insert your foot.

as far as the $150.oo / month electric bill,,well ..lets see..the PC itself isnt the power draw..its the monitor that sucks current. I live in AZ (yea 110+' summers) ..with the AC on keeping the house at a nice 72' and 4 , count em, FOUR pc's i rarely go over $125.oo (and the electric bill is part of the lease arrangements up to $175.oo) so I dont really pay anything for electric.

Thats hilarious..MELTING!!..ROFLMAO..Maybe I better pull those chips out of the burn-in ovens that are running at 125' C because..GASP! they are going to MELT!!

..ahahahHAHAHAHA!..

Thats too much.

Darue Ivywood

Ps..maybe Stacy should also read up on how hot solder needs to get in order to reflow properly..LOL..uh..65' aint gonna do it ..LOL

pps ..boards normally dont delaminate until around 250'C..unless they are cheap s.hit.

I suspect Stacy the Druid knows all about how PC boards are built...as well as wafers? ..HAHAHA..keep the laughs comin..

Old 10-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #10
Gulyenn Meerkat

I still have the first USR X2 modems.. internal ISA..still runs like a champ.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:02 PM   #11
panidwenthedruid

Default lol

Modems are the devil !!!

You may want to look into a satalite internet connection. If I remember right thats available now. I could be mistaken though(Very tired tonight) but I seem to remember doing some research on them in college.
~pan
Old 10-13-2002, 08:47 PM   #12
Ulujain Ebonelphette

Default Re: lol

Darue, I can tell you how wafers are made into semiconductor chips if you like :P

<-- operates plasma ashers, FSI AP's, vertical furnaces (gate and poly oxidation processes), Dai Nippon hoods and a few other weird appliances for TI.

FWIW about modems, I now use an external Hayes Accura v92. Great modem, shame my phone line still blows. Don't get a Creative Modem Blaster whatever you do. Worst external modem I've ever used.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:50 PM   #13
Darue Ivywood

Lol Ulu, ya I knew you did..I remember Celoria (sp?) askin what was available for jobs in Cali. and you were comin from TI.

Oh and DAMNIT!! YOU LOUSY BASTARDS... MADE ME LOSE over (lets see..last count it was, oh yea..) $70K!! <---worked at Burr-Brown for many years before they sold to TI(still have many friends workin there if your ever interested in Tucson). I still cry when i see my 401k <sobs>

anyways ..what was I gonna say..oh yea..<beer kickin in>

what would happen to your job if you decided to have
cool off periods usually once a week.
on a fab's computer's ?? LOL.. I dunno bout you, but I'm thinkin I woulda been fired. hehe (other than the usual annual 6 mos. (cuz im sure you know how often those are done on time) PM which then its down for ~6-8hrs for cleaning, and by no means intended for the
cool off periods usually once a week
LOL

oh and one more thing for the dumbass stacy the druid..know how to read a spec?

here.. www.intersil.com/data/FN/...FN4819.pdf

now goto page 3.

this is a pretty common part found on most motherboards, I can link more if you like...note the operating range and the 'C. Hell, 65'F is roughly (ugh..dont remember the formula and dont have my calculator here..stoopid corona erm.. w/ a lime) around 20'C? (im prolly off, but not by that much)

Now tell me, um, how does a company spec the parts at these temps, when, um, there Melted?!!?!!? dont believe me? Look at the spec again.

Stacy..your a fuckin moron!

oh, and I can take thermal pictures and post them of the inside of a computer with a FLIR system to really show the temperatures, and also show that nothing has melted with the SPEC's that I posted earlier.

Who's the idiot?

....now, wheres my beer.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #14
Ssetti

Well this is the most obscure flame topic I've ever seen. Hilarious.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:34 PM   #15
Darue Ivywood

ya well, s.hit was gettin kinda boring around here..

the interesting flames have been too few as of late, no one is stirrin up any mudslinging, and I had a few too many beers...

just hope it lives up to the predecessors of this boards' standards.

/shrug

glad you enjoyed though.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:04 AM   #16
Aishen

Uh... Stacy.. turning off the computers won't do a thing to help your electric bill if you don't control your AC usage or if you have an older appliance that's not energy efficient.

I'm a SoCal native and I managed to lower my energy usage 20% (which led to Edison being very happy with me) during the energy crisis. That was with my computers on 24/7.

And that very same computer I had on 24/7 over a year ago (and a year before that) is still on 24/7 to this very day. It still loves me and ain't broke yet. It likes to watch and download pr0n with me. I'm an Aries and my computer is an Aquarius. Together we are best friends, Forrest and I. Yes, I named my computer Forrest.

Who says people who leave their computers on all the time are crasy? Careful what you say about me, Forrest doesn't like it when people talk bad 'bout me.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:44 AM   #17
Kerryn Darkwater

Default I'm melting, I'm melting!!

Darue,

I don't work with mainframe computers for a living. I don't work with super coolants. But I am a qualified computer tech and the amount of melted boards I've replaced in computers is too many to count.

I've seen perfectly square holes in motherboards where a processor has overheated and cut through the board, ive seen bent and misshapen graphcs cards, I've seen PCTV cards curled at the edges.

What you're talking about are top end, top quality build systems but guess what? The average user isn't running top quality stuff any more. In fact since most computer pieces are now being made by the lowest bidder computers are becoming more fallable now then they were 5 years ago. Today we live in a pop-culture, it breaks we buy a new one mentality.

If your computer has been on for 7 years it isn't running at the same temperature they do now. Thats why we have fans as standard now and the majority of machines made 4 years ago didn't.

The biggest reason for a non functional modem in my experience is a cracked overlay on the boards.

Give your computers a rest every now and again. For one, the cooler your computer is the less resistance in the circuits till it reaches maximum temperature which can take between 1-2 hours if correctly set-up. That means 1 - 2 hours after you switch your computer on you'll have a faster performance. Not great but still significant.

When I'm not working or playing EQ, I typically use my computer in periods of 20 minutes or less. Which means I get more optimal use then those of you who leave it on.

Oh and running XP with a 1.4ghz processor it takes me about 19 seconds to have my computer from startup to the time I can run my software.

Plenty of software has memory leaks and they're becoming more frequent as memory in computers rises. 3 years ago losing a couple of bytes of memory to software was a big deal, these day's hardly worth bothering with so the programmers accept this and move on. But...if you leave your computer on for days on end your going to lose more like a dripping tap will eventually fill a bath.

Thirdly electricity costs different amounts depending on the company you use. So whereas you might run your air conditioning for under $120 a month someone else might be looking at a higher charge. Still any time your not sat at your computer is wasted energy but don't worry about it...it's and endless supply isn't it. Leave the lights on each night, who cares?

I know for a fact some of you have several machines so each and every extra machine is costing you more and more. The difference in switching your computer off when you don't use it and leaving it on full time could be enough for a bottle of whisky come bill time. If I told you I'd buy you a bottle of whisky or a spirit of yoru choice at the end of every month if you switched your machine off when you were finished would you?

Fourthly, when your computer is on your fan is running. Fans run at an amazing rate and frequently have an optimal lifespan of around 7 months. I reckon people who leave their computer on overnight give their fan an optimal lifespan of much less meaning that $4 fan should really be replaced every 2 months instead. Once again a fan that isn't running at it's full potential is meaning your system is hotter, which means more resistance in the circuits which leads us right back to a slower computer. Same applies for your graphics card.

Fifthly, dial-up is a shared access facility. Which means the more people connected to your ISP's modems means a smaller flow rate for them. Just because you are only sending small packets back and forth your contract and your modem reserves a certain amount of bandwidth every time you log in. Thats bandwidth you're taking that someone else could have. Not everyone has the luxury of having guaranteed amounts of bandwidth dedicated solely to them as cable, dsl and adsl users have.

Whereas Stacy was wrong in the way she addressed her post to you Darue there are plenty of reason I can think of why it's better to disconnect from the internet and shut down your computer each night. I could come up with plenty more.

The only reason I can think of to not shut it off is so that you can walk up to your computer whenever you want and start work or play 20 seconds faster.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:44 AM   #18
Darue Ivywood

Default Re: I'm melting, I'm melting!!

Ryn, if you have seen processors melt..either they were AMD or old Intel's(old enough not to be worthy a processor, really)
as Intel processors have a thermal throttling that will actually turn off transistors inside it if it gets too hot. AMD's however dont have this feature.

And everything you say about computers parts dieing can equate to 1 thing...poor ventilation.

I have a cat, and he has long hair, I also open my computer up approximatly every 3 -4 months or so to clean the inevitable cat hair from the fans and PS Vents with a vacuum (make sure its ESD Safe) and a couple cans of air. That can be expected and should be done regardless of feline or not.

Processors today do run hotter, I also have a P4 1.8GHz that has been on for over a year now. Notice the larger heatsinks, this is true..but its also an Intel <read above> with rambus ram (and man does that s.hit get hot compared to the rest of the system) BUT, I also have more than adequate cooling in it.

It all comes down to something real easy to control....clean your systems and they wont overheat.

Now, as far as server farms that need to be kept at a nice cool room temp.. well. if you were constantly processing information with no breaks (unlike a home PC where it normally will go into standby or sit idle when your sleeping and run a cool 5% load) and have thousands of people relying on you to stay connected and process that information all day and all night, then yes, you keep it cooler..why? because it runs hotter than your average desktop PC at a norm of 70% - 90% CPU Usage. More info being processed = hotter temps by the CPU..or loading the CPU.

If anyone is like me, where you walk out of the room (spose to turn the computer off?) but you forget something be it an e-mail, a data sheet, your homework, etc...well, I want it now, not any longer than that cuz im late allready. I flip the monitor on, get what I need , turn monitor off and im on my way. If I shut my system down everytime I 'thought' i was done, I woulda burned my HDD out first. (moving parts will die first..inevitable, a big reason RAID was invented)

As far as fans go..well they cheap s.hit anyway's. really they are..ever see how their built? I have seen brand new fans die in a matter of hours just cuz their junk to begin with. But like I said earlier, if you clean things regularly, you wont have much of a problem.

For some, computers are their lively-hood, alot of people dont know they are going to come back in 10 minutes to mess with it again after they shut it down, alot of people want their inforamtion now, instead of later. If these people keep the dust bunnies out of their systems and off their fans they wont have a problem for many years. LOok inside, make sure the heatsink is still attatched to the CPU, pay attention to it.
Hell, even my laptop sits here powered up, albeit in standby, but bringing it out of standby is faster than booting.

the point of my posts were,
1)most commercial electronics have a rating of 85'C
2)boards dont delaminate until around 200-250'C
3)Moving parts die faster.
4)I dont like being called an idiot by some fucktard who hasent a clue (need another Spec sheet, dipshit?)
5)if the parts die inside your PC from leaving it on. either
a) cheap shi.t to begin with (to coin a phrase..get what ya pay for)
b)inadequate cooling...clean the damn thing out.

as far as dial-up leaving on 24/7 with the shared access...didnt mention anything before, and as such, wont mention anything now.

Old 10-14-2002, 06:19 PM   #19
Bubu DwarfEater

Default Electric bill eh?

Makes me laugh...but mine & kaane/enaak's electric bills hit the $350...or was it $400+ range during the peak of our everquest addiction.

The Ogre "Crack" house ran 7+ pc's with 21" monitors to go with them, operating on averige 18 hours a day.

I swear the cops parked an unmarked "heat emmisions" van infront of the house. They must have thought we were running large scale hydrophonics or something

Oh ya, and as someone mentioned earlier...cheep capacitors bite you in the ass...its the same principle as buying a sony vs. magnasomething arather TV...guess what, the specs may be next to identical but the quality of the electronic components is not. (yes,even if they are rated at the same spec.)