Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Ogmuk
Administrator

Default Help design a new layout

I choose for the default vbulletin layout so we can get it changed (heck, Iíve spent days mimicking the ezboard's look but then threw it away entirely, why go back when you get something better right at the start?).

Anyway, who would like to give the new layout a try? I donít only mean a logo on top and a different color scheme but we can really make the board however we want it to be. Do you want people to be able to fill in their level, select their class and race from a drop-down menu in the user control panel, want a sticky thread to be a pin instead of "sticky:", or a dagger pinned into a wall, or have a userís guildname displayed right under their name in each post? Again, with a little knowledge of PHP we can modify this board totally.

Care to give it a try? You can create a layout in a HTML editor and link to it from this thread or upload it through email. You donít have to adjust the current layout since we could adjust the current one to yours. Ideas like the examples I gave above are of course welcome too.

Examples of different vbulletin boards to show how much they can be adjusted:
http://www.vbulletin.com/links.php
Old 11-08-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Narukami and I have also been tossing around some ideas like putting together and maintaining an item database exclusively for Emarrians. If you're interested in lending a hand with that, or have any other neato ideas drop me a line
Nire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:50 AM   #3
Ozzin T'Arc

Send a message via ICQ to Ozzin T'Arc Send a message via Yahoo to Ozzin T'Arc
Lightbulb Idea

Its just a idea wich is going trough my mind quite some time now.

Isnt it possible to bring all information intoo one Forum information like Maps, Quests, Epic's and like Nire already brought up a items database.

This will be much easier when you need info, instead of browsing trough multiple websites..

I know... its just 2 cp

Umm, i see i have to change the sig code too

A Proud (Erudite) Necro

"Too many of us are spending money we haven't earned, to buy things we don't need to impress people we don't like"
Ozzin T'Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
Nire

If we do that it would make more sense to put that on the emarr website (www.erollisimarr.com) That way we can make searchable databases and such.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:52 AM   #5
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
Drop me a line at trech_em@hotmail.com. Ive mainly done infrastructure design in the past but ive poked my head into web and databases. I could always do some shite on my free time.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:01 AM   #6
Igota
Supporter

While I like the idea of this type of thing supported on our site, I don't think we can afford the bandwidth/server load. Just look at allakahzams (extreme example I know, but still)
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:48 AM   #7
Nire

Well the idea being, we'd password protect it and make it available only to emarrians, but the problem with that is it would be difficult to determine who's legit and who's not.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 11-09-2002, 11:07 AM   #8
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
lol you can go through Guild rosters or meet the people ingame, lol

Truely thiers no way to tell whos actually emarrian, just need to trust people...... ok nevermind.....
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:22 AM   #9
Ogmuk
Administrator

I personally think item dbases are too hard to keep up to date with a game like EverQuest. There are still a few free sites around and they're having a hard time getting all those items in their database and some of them have been around for years. Realisticly I think an item dbase is not an option.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:35 AM   #10
Dwarkarn

Originally posted by Ogmuk
I personally think item dbases are too hard to keep up to date with a game like EverQuest. There are still a few free sites around and they're having a hard time getting all those items in their database and some of them have been around for years. Realisticly I think an item dbase is not an option.
I would agree with Ogmuk with a game like EQ new shit is being added all the time, it's hard to keep track of all the new additions. An item database might be possible but someone would have to dedicate a LOT of time to keep it up to date.
Dwarkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 10:06 AM   #11
Nire

That's all very true, but if you have five or so people working on it, it wouldn't be that bad provided the database was made so it was easily maintained.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:12 AM   #12
Dwarkarn

Nire don't get me wrong a database would be a fantastic feature, as long as people were willing to donate their time.
Dwarkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:02 AM   #13
Malevant

The Ranger's Glade uses vBulletin as well, and one of the nicer features that they have set up is Private Messages. Helps to cut down on some of the spam, and gives folks who post here a way of getting in touch with each other without having to hunt in game or use emails.

Not sure if it would add any hassles, but if its not that rough to implement, it would be something that could probably see a fair bit of use
Malevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:14 AM   #14
Ogmuk
Administrator

The Ranger's Glade uses vBulletin as well, and one of the nicer features that they have set up is Private Messages.

It's one of the features on the list to turn back on when the bandwidth isn't getting impossible to afford, right up there with Avatars and all ;)

So far it looks pretty good with bandwidth usage.

PS. Haven't received any emails from people willing to give some graphical assistance yet, awwww....! /beg /beg /beg ;)
Old 11-11-2002, 08:05 AM   #15
iaewedar

I am kicking around a few styles Og. We have used VB on the RoD site for a few years now and I think you will really like the admin side.

I will mail you the .style files when I get them finished. Do you want to use the logo from the other board? If you do, shoot me a copy of it, the link on the old board is dead now.

I am just tinkering with color/graphic changes. Layout changes gets into template/PHP hacking which without admin access to the board as well as the hosting would be tough to experiement with. Gelsoft does allow you to install a dev board if that's something you wanted to try bro.

OK, enough rambling...back to work
iaewedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:16 AM   #16
Ogmuk
Administrator

Thanks a bunch already :)

Originally posted by iaewedar
Do you want to use the logo from the other board? If you do, shoot me a copy of it, the link on the old board is dead now.
Ewww...... no ;) I've heard that Saraquael will be working on a new logo when he has some spare time, so I'm looking forward to that and any other suggestions/tips/drawings.

Originally posted by iaewedar
I am just tinkering with color/graphic changes. Layout changes gets into template/PHP hacking which without admin access to the board as well as the hosting would be tough to experiement with. Gelsoft does allow you to install a dev board if that's something you wanted to try bro.
That's a good one, I'll look into it, it's probably worth setting up a second board where we can tinker with.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:21 AM   #17
iaewedar

It's unpolished and a bit cheesy but its something other than Gelsoft's logo

If you want to use it you can grab it here
iaewedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:44 AM   #18
Nire

Anything in them meantime while we wait for Sara's image is great. I've seen previews of it, looks pretty darn spiffy
Old 11-11-2002, 10:51 AM   #19
Ogmuk
Administrator

There we go,
Already looks a lot better, thanks
Old 11-12-2002, 12:19 AM   #20
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

i dont really have an idea for a new layout but just a few suggestions for the new board.

Please cut down the large number of useless forums, quite a few have been more or less inactive for months (years?).

Please add a poll option or at least have a poll forum.

Please remove post count. nothing more annoying than people post camping to increase their number.

Please add avatars but have strict rules. this is a good example http://pub146.ezboard.com/bthesafehouse#

Please have a non partisan (or as non partisan as possible) person to do the server news. it would be neat to have news on what mobs are being killed by whom and when .

Please can we have a "gallery" section where anyone can post a favorite EQ pic (can be 3 people killing orcs in WC for all i care ) as long as they host it themself and perhaps a restriction so you can only post 1 pic per account per week so things dont get too cluttered.

Those are just a few ideas and i just wanna say thanks for keeping my "altered" EM logo up for all those years Og
Old 11-12-2002, 08:44 AM   #21
Igota
Supporter

I agree on the server updates, if someone is willing to keep track of all that and post it that would be really cool. And helpful to find out when they will spawn next.

While I agree that a large number of the forums are never used and pointless (to me) I can't agree that we should kill them, cause that is a rather blatant censorship.

I don't think anyone does post camp.. unless it is as a joke.

And I would love to have the safehoues rules on avatars, I always disliked the huge fucking sigs that people would post. (i.e. one line response to a thread with a 15+ line sig, many times in the same thread and they would never turn it off)
Igota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:20 PM   #22
Ogmuk
Administrator

Trying to keep this thread alive,

A few things of what I prefer in the layout:

- I would like to go back to the black background and get rid of the white :)
- In the upperleft corner I think we should have a drawing of some woman that should look something like EverQuest's picture from the manual. With the bow and all.
- Some kind of drawing or in-game material/screenshot(s) on the top with Erollisi Marr mentioned in it, somewhere somehow :)
- A toolbar on the left side, but seperate from the top (i.e. woman + name of site) so this can be used on the index of the board where server news gets posted, etc... but not with the forums
Old 11-13-2002, 03:02 PM   #23
Festivus

Default Beer theme?

Yes, definately a beer theme.

Besides that, I like the white background. I agree with dropping of post counts. Server news is like flamebait, but do what you want. May I remind you of Uberscore?

Oh, the half naked emarr chick, didn't the old board have that? Lets try something new and original for the new boards perhaps?

Ok, off to drink beer...

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:20 PM   #24
Ogmuk
Administrator

Default Re: Beer theme?

Originally posted by Festivus
Oh, the half naked emarr chick, didn't the old board have that? Lets try something new and original for the new boards perhaps?
Err, I don't know which board you've been reading... :)
Old 11-16-2002, 03:23 AM   #25
Ogmuk
Administrator

Though I'd love a layout like AC2HQ's, I think the graphics are way out of our league. I stole the top bar and added some of Saraquael's art to it, thought it looked pretty decent:
www.erollisimarr.com/temp/top.jpg

No, I'm not thinking about using it :P
But maybe it'll bring up some ideas.