Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2002, 11:03 AM   #1
Vonreznheal

Default Router problems

I have a DSL connection and have recently started using a LinkSys router to allow me to use 2 PC's with the same internet connection. Everything works fine for several minutes, then one or the other disconnects and goes link dead. I can hook the DSL modem directly to either computer without any LD problems at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any comments and help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Von
Old 10-16-2002, 12:10 PM   #2
Kidin

Hail,

You need to load the old firmware. This is a well known Linksys BEFSR41 problem. Go to the Linksys website to get the OLD firmware. The latest one or two revisions simply won't let you play EQ for more than ten or twenty minutes without one or both machines going LD.

Do a search on these boards and you'll find more information. It took me a few weeks of searching before finding this problem solution several months ago.

Good luck,

Old 10-16-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
Bumbleroot

I know exactly what is happening. This happened to me with the exact same setup. If I'm not mistaken your connection should be timing out at exactly every 12 minutes.

This is what you need to do. Go to Chat room (not on the router) and go the the Tech help area. Ask them what ports you need to open on your router for EQ to work.

Then call tech support at Linksys. It is a 24 hour support line. They were extremely helpful to me when I did this. Tell them you are playing an online game and you need to have ports xxx to yyy opened and ask them to explain how to do this. They may even ask you the game as some of them might be familiar with this very problem. They will walk you through opening your ports. It is all done on your computer.

I did this and have had no problems since I did this. The problem that is occurring is there are built in firewalls on your router and it prevents EQ from completely coming through.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:05 PM   #4
Vonreznheal

Default Thanks guys

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.
Von