Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 04:38 AM   #26
Adarian Silverthorn

Default Re: @#%$ i would rather have seen a senate hearing

I won't say you can not become fixated on something like Everquest but Fixation is a completely different thing than an addiction. Addiction is just a word people throw around when they dont understand someones fixation.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:17 AM   #27
Kehli

Default stupid sheep, beleive anything they are told.

My stupid neighbor TINA (stands for Terriblie Ignorant Non-Athiest - ok, it is just her name :P ) calls me yesterday, all quiet and concerned.

"Are you busy? Can we talk?"

"Playin EQ, whats up?"

"OH, ummm you are busy, i can call you back..."

THinking of eating glass instead, i reply "not busy, whats going on?"

"Did a guy really kill himself over *that game*??"

I sigh. I reply (tersly) "There WAS a guy, who was deeply disturbed, who HAPPENED to play everquest, and he DID kill himself. He ALSO drank COKE and watched SEINFIELD, and THOSE didnt kill him either."

MORON. Of course she is the religious freak who thinks only people with her religious beleifs are REAL christians. Did you know catholics arent christian?? Yeah, someone email the pope.

ANyhoo, she is a nut, there are many nuts out there, and prepare for a DnD type hysteria reminicent of the 80's. EVERYTHING on the computer must be evil evil EVIL!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 07:14 AM   #28
PrincessRazz

Default Re: stupid sheep, beleive anything they are told.

All i can say is your a idiot if you beleive that their is only physical addictions, please go read up on addictions before you speak about them. I work for CMH (Communtiy of Mental Health) and I see some of the BS people have to live threw with the MENTAL addictions they have.

Razz
Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 AM   #29
CeruleanRuneguard

Sorry, Razz. I have to go with Ealan.

You might make a case for mental addiction, might. In fact ALL of the instances listed as 'mental addictions' are just proof of our lack of willpower and willingness to label it as something else.

Smoking, please. Time and time again it has come down to a smoker's willpower to break the 'addiction'. We kowtow to it so much by calling it an addiction (ie an uncontrollable desire/urge) when it's just weak will.

Chewing nails. Anxiety, anyone? Relax, be aware of what you're doing and exercise the will to STOP.

I'm sorry, I really detest the new psychology... in fact psychology as a whole I tend to look at as a bunch of quackery. But the new stuff kills me.

Hyperactive kids have a disorder?! That still kills me. Because we're too lazy to deal with it THEY have a disorder. Our society values convenience so much that anything remotely inconvenient is now wrong. It's amazing, really.

Sorry, a tangent there. But calling EQ an addiction is weak. It's escapism in grand form. And for those with no better alternative to occupy their time it becomes the hobby (habit) of norm (or necessity). Resurfacing from the escape can be difficult for sure - is surfacing better? what's there to do? why go? But it all boils down to your will to change your life choices. Blaming anything (even the game) is dodging responsibility.

Ceru
Old 10-21-2002, 10:53 AM   #30
Adarian Silverthorn

MMM Cerulean just pretty much summed it all up for me.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #31
Gurglespit Fruggybasher

ANyhoo, she is a nut, there are many nuts out there, and prepare for a DnD type hysteria reminicent of the 80's. EVERYTHING on the computer must be evil evil EVIL!!!
LOL you don't know how long it took me to convince my mom that D&D wasn't an "evil devil worshipping game" I made her sit and watch us play one day so she could understand that it was just a game.. nothing more.. nothing less.

I agree with the "everquest isn't an addiction" crowd. Every night I stayed up and forwent sleep, was s choice I made.. every time I called into work the next morning was a choice I made.. I wasn't physically traumatised by not playing EQ when I did choose to go to sleep or work instead of doing what I really wanted to do. If I were rich right now.. I'd probably spend all day every day painting my dark angels army and putting toghether an army from the new chaos codex. I could do this.. but would lose my job and would be sitting on a street corner with my armys and paint. I choose not to go that route.. and instead go to sleep at a timely manner (ok.. maybe 2 AM isn't timely when I get up at 7.. but I don't want my perfectly mixed paint to dry out.. /sigh)

There is no such thing as mental addiction.. just poor will power.

Old 10-21-2002, 03:31 PM   #32
Rosete

Here's the thing I don't get about Elizabeth Wooley's (the mom of the guy who shot himself) quest: She wants Sony to give her access to her son's account to figure out what happened during his last day -- what happened in the game that "made" him kill himself. Why does she need his account info to find out about his life online? If he was as hard core a player as she describes, she must have known what guild he was in, what server he played on. How hard would it be to find people he knew and talk to them? I think what she really wants is closure (and yes she wants to somehow "prove" that EQ killed her otherwise "normal" son). Actually, if only one EQ player out of ~400,000 players kills themselves, that makes us much more sane than most populations.

Old 10-21-2002, 05:42 PM   #33
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Aolodari;

Football fans don't watch football games 30-50 hours a week.

And if they do, they are exceedingly the rarity, not the ever becoming norm.

Average football game length - 4 hours at the stadium.
Average Ssra raid- 7 hours+?

Apples and oranges.

Nekiah Dragonsbane

Old 10-22-2002, 01:21 AM   #34
TyriaEM

Default Re: Aolodari;

I work for AT&T Wireless in a call center, and my job is to help people who call in with whatever problem they have with their cell phone, bill, or way they were treated by another rep.

Well, when you take 8 hours of calls where the call starts "I have a problem with my bill..." it begins to get old, you sit there for however long it takes to get them to understand that they've used more minutes than their plan calls for, I sometimes wish I could just tell them "Stop talking so much on the phone, then your bill won't be so high." But I have more courtasy then that.

Then I come home at 1am, and will proceed to bash in the heads of whatever poor mob happens to be standing near me when I log in, and repeat bashing multiple times till I start to see a pile of orcs/drolvargs/etc and start to feel a little better. For me, EQ lets me vent my frustration without griping about how crappy my day was to whoever is standing near me at the end of my shift...because, well it gets kinda old listening to the same complaints everyday, you start to sound like the people that are making you upset in the first place.

Yes, I smoke...is it an addiction? *shrug* tobacco has been found to be addictive, but if I REALLY wanted to, I could quit...I choose not to quit, it makes me happy to fill my lungs with carbon monoxide.

Do I chew my nails without thinking about it? *nods* Yup, all the time, especially when I'm thinking about something else...it's like my thought process reset button when I my thought derails from main topic.

Do I compulsively clean? Nope, in fact there's a week old bowl of hot sauce and chips next to me that I wish was fresh, could use some and too lazy to walk 10 feet to the kitchen to get more...not to mention I'd feel guilty for all of 15 seconds if I didn't take old bowl with me to wash out, then proceed to forget said bowl even existed.

Is EQ addictive? *shrugs* again, I choose to play to beat frustration out on defenseless mobs. When EQ first came out back in '99, that's another story...didn't have any motivation to go out and get a job, up all night playing EQ, slept all day after getting off EQ, then rinse and repeat next day when I woke up...maybe I was addicted to the fun I was having and the escape from what was considered "normal".

Just a few thoughts tossed out there...I was working when 48 Hours was on, didn't get to see it, would have loved to see Luclin models run smoothly, I had to turn the blasted things off, my poor GeForce 2 and Pentium Celeron 700 can't take it
Old 10-22-2002, 03:26 AM   #35
Aoladari Raveynfyre

Default Re: Aolodari;

Nekiah,
I never said football fans watch football 30-50 hours a week.

I said, We dress up (like at FF's) to show our support of the game and we get called freaks. They dress up (in jerseys, or blue faced, or *shudder* blue chested) and they are only called fans when obviously they have taken the obsession too far (at least in my opinion).

Then I said, we do something which doesn't physically hurt anyone, and we are called degenerates (or whatever). They watch a (or sometimes participate) in a game where physical harm is the norm, but society is "OKAY" with that.

I'll say it again.
I never said football fans watch football 30-50 hours a week.
TYVM.