Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 08:44 AM   #1
cnjmorris

Default FREE Expansion....

So, I have had a fever between 102 and 104 all weekend and I still feel like crap, but after a weekend like mine I feel I deserve some relaxation. I hear some people have found PoP at Wal-Mart today.

I assume its a west coast thing, but on the off chance... I call my local Wal-Mart.

Me: Can I speak with someone that handles computer software
Employee_1: Sure, please hold.

Employee_2: Hello electronics (same department as software)
Me: Hello, I was wondering if you had Everquest: Planes of Power in stock.
Employee_2: Yup, sure do
Me: Are you sure? There are several expansions and this one just came out. (tone: mixed glee and doubt)
Employee_2: Yeah, I am looking right at the display.
Me: Okay, just making sure because most places don't have it till tommorrow. (getting car keys)
Employee_2: You are in luck then, because we have been selling them all morning.

Okay... let me pause here for dramatic effect. I just know you can't guess the following turn of events.

I arrive at the store, walking slowly cause I am out of breath (have a chest cold that accompanied the fever). I head back to electronics and see a big empty display. I ask, "are you all sold out of Planes of Power."

Okay.. again... dramatic effect... guess the response.

Employee_3_Probably_Same_As_Employee_2: "That doesn't come in till tommorrow."
Me: (stunned silence)

So, now I walk over to CS and ask for a manager.

Me: I don't feel well, that isn't your fault, but I called ahead so that I wouldn't have to drive all over town, and that is your fault. Not you as in Michael (his name) but you as in your store.
Manager: Well, they shouldn't have told you it was in
Me: DUH.
Manager: Our release date is Tuesday
Me: If they told me that on the phone then we wouldn't have this problem. It is not my fault as a consumer to keep track of your release dates, even if it was... that is why I called.
Manager: If we sell it early they will pull our licence.
Me: Thats nice, but how is that the issue?
Manager: Do you know who you talked to?
Me: No, sorry, I didn't think to start a personal relationship with your employees.
Manager: Well sorry, in the future just be aware we release on Tuesdays.
Me: Okay, and be aware that tommorrow I am going to drive past your store and buy this game somewhere where they value customers.
Manager: thats fine (all this while he was stacking boxes, can tell I had a real effect on him)

I get home pretty mad, not just at the error but at the handling of it. I start to look up corporate info but then decide to call the store and talk directly to the store manager. I get him on the phone and tell him the story. He is appalled, which any true store manager should. He said "My name is Sean, I will be in all day tommorrow, make sure to stop by and pick up your free copy."

So Sean, thanks for making my day. I wasn't going to buy 2 copies for my accounts, but after that... I am gonna go ahead and buy the 2nd copy just to throw some business his way.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
patric

Default o_O

I should call my local wal-mart right now and see if that happens I want a free copy!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Maltzeform

Wal-Mart sucks for releases.

I work 3rd shift in a different town. I get off in the early morning. So, since there is no real place to buy recent release stuff in my town I stop by Wal Mart after work because I am over there and it is the only place open that early.

Show up to get Sopranos season 3 the day of release.

Me: Umm excuse me sir, do you work in electronics.
Him: (looks confused)
Me: Umm i was wondering about DVD's
Him: Oh they are over there.
Me: (i am standing by the display) Yes I see that. I was wondering if you were getting The Sopranos in.
Him: (tilts his head as if letting brain sfift to other side of head) Umm, I don't know.
Me: Ok is there anybody here who does?
Him: (tilts head further) I can look on the invoice.
Me: Ok please.
Him: Yeah, Its coming in Tuesday
Me: (it is tuesday 6:30 am) Next tuesday?
Him: This tuesday. At midnight.
Me: You mean Wednesday?
Him: (looking at me like I no longer speak English) No tuesday is release date.
Me: Today?
Him: Yeah
Me: So you got a copy in?
Him: Yeah, in back
Me: Can I have it?
Him: No, not till tuesday.
Me: What TIME on tuesday?
Him: Midnight we can sell them.
Me: You mean midnight tonight?
Him: Yeah when it is Tuesday.
Me: It is tuesday morning.
Him: Sorry man, its not released yet. Not till tuesday
Me: What time on tuesday. Noon?
Him: Well right after midnight.
Me: Would 6 1/2 hours after midnight work?
Him: If its still in we are only getting one copy.
Me: So... umm... It's tuesday. Right now. But I can't get it till after midnight? So wouldn't that be Wednesday?
Him: No (now i get the helping the slow look) Tuesday midnight.
Me: So when exactly does Wednesday start for you?
Him: Tomorrow.
Me: Well Thanks anyway.
Him: No problem. Anything else I can help you with.
Me: (feeling the spirit of Tony Soprano) Yeah, do you sell guns here? (Immediatley feel bad for having evil thoughts)
Him: (Finally looking excited about his job) Sure do! You want me to show you some?
Me: (Looks at bare wrist) No, I got to be going.
Him: Ok man well sorry I couldn't help you.
Me: Sorry I couldn't help you either.

As a side note the manager and an employee were fired from Wal Mart when showing someone a gun that next week and it went off putting a hole in the roof. I cringed for an hour.

Ritt

Old 10-21-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
Zugzog

WOW, I am impressed that the Wal Marts in your area have employees other then the greeter saying "Hi, Welcome to WalMart" (In a grating tone). I might just have to go try to get a copy for free...ohh but then I will have to deal with Walmart...I think I will pass.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:23 AM   #5
Jaxartes

Ive been working at Wal-mart for over 2 years :O. <Ducks>. Im almost a department manager . Anyways, yeah it sucks!! Ahh well, im gettin payed purdy good

Jaxarte Wuwulala 60 cleric <Storm's Fury> (Retired)
Old 10-21-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
cnjmorris

Let me just clarify. I have nothing against Wal-Mart. My problem is with ANY store that doesn't give their customers atleast minimal service.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #7
Igota

I have everything against wall mart, that place is the devil, the DEVIL I SAY!!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:41 PM   #8
Medion Palemoon

Just so you all know, CJ Morris is a Wal-<art greeter in real life.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:01 PM   #9
cnjmorris

Don't know any CJ Morris
Old 10-21-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Welp...

Not to go against the flow, and not to say that manager had anything close to resembling customer service...

But,

If the release date isn't until the 22nd, how can you expect him to sell it to you? I agree he should have found out who you spoke to on the phone, apologized for the misunderstanding, and tried to find somewhat of a reasonable alternative, but he has to abide by the store regulations as much as anyone else, regardless of the stupidity of his employees.

That's what I know anyway. Then again, I've never worked anything involving software. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt to sell it to you.

But maybe people would use the same excuse to get the game a day early.... you know Hothgar would. He's that evil.

Just something to keep in mind,
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Old 10-21-2002, 04:33 PM   #11
cnjmorris

Default Re: Welp...

Oh, I didn't expect him to sell it to me early. I wouldn't want him to sell to me early. I was just complaining. I was hoping he would talk to the employee and tell them when the realease dates ALWAYS are, and explain to them that when a customer says "are you sure" it means check, don't just talk.

I was mad, and I wanted to feel like something was going to be done to keep this from happening in the future. Seeing as my fever came back tonight it seems I wasn't well yet and was probably meaner than I would normally be.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:36 PM   #12
Nekiah Dragonsbane

Default Fever is bad.

Thanks for the clarification. Fevers suck. Feel better man.

Nek
Old 10-21-2002, 06:24 PM   #13
Heelan

Default Re: Fever is bad.

The Wal-mart in my area sold me PoP on Saturday, the 19th.

/shrug
Old 10-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #14
Hammie

Default Re: Fever is bad.

I have a similar story to buying PoP. I got a copy of PoP for myself from a friend who works at Frye's Electronics as a gift cuz he knew that I am a player/addict. So I went back up there today to get a copy for my brother who also plays. When I get there I run into a 16 year old kid who knows everything in the world about gaming.

Me - Hi, do you have any copies of Planes of Power?
Him - <wrinkles up his face> Sure do, lemme show ya.

We walk over to the place where it is and he points it out.

Me- Thx alot.
Him- You should really think about playing something else other then EQ.
Me- Why is that?
Him- EQ sucks, you should try Dark Ages of Chamelot or wait for the new Star Wars if you like roleplaying games. EQ is a horrible game.
Me- Thx but I think I will stick with this. Been playing for 3 years kinda hard just to walk away from it.
Him - 3 years?!? Damn you have wasted alot of money and time. I guess you dont like challenging games, EQ is very easy and too many cheaters.
Me- Sounds like you are talking about UO and not EQ.
Him - <laughing> UO is a far better game dude.

At this point I was so irritated with his demeanor and attitude I just had to walk away, especially after using the "dude" word. /cringe
Old 10-22-2002, 01:09 AM   #15
bumblefumble

Default Uh, yea

what do you expect at a walmart?

/rude walmart
Old 10-22-2002, 11:36 AM   #16
Valrus Delkor

Default Re: Uh, yea

I hate those old bastards that greet you at Wal-Mart... ugh I walk in and say "How ya doing sir" and they look at me like im the idiot who slashed their tires!!!, and when I walk by a cop there they think im out to put something in my pockets I get the dirtiest looks... maybe I should shave my chin and wear button up white shirts with ties to be greeted... any ideas?

~Valrus Del`kor
(P.S PoP is gonna suxx0r 8( )
Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 AM   #17
MackDaddyMonky

Default Re: Uh, yea

uh, I used to work at wal-mart.
the pay sucked , the people sucked, the store sucked.
can you tell I am bitter about it?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:46 AM   #18
MackDaddyMonky

/rude Ezboard for not allowing html on free accounts grrrr.
guess I'll just use the ezcodes.
doesn't make a difference really