Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 05:56 AM   #1
Kamakasi Battlemaster

Default New Puter, Good Deal?

Looking for a new machine, I figure I would try a Dell first and found something that I was happy with(G-Damn this crap seems to cheep). I built my last machine myself(AMD 1600+) and am looking to give it a partner.

Overview:
P4 2.53GHz w/ 533MHz buss & 512L2 Cache
256MB DDR SDRAM @ 333MHz
64MB DDR NVIDIA GF4 Ti 4200 (Didn't want an MX)
bla bla bla 30 gig
bla bla bla 48x
bla bla

Basically $859.00 + Taxes NO shipping costs.

For $809.00 I can get a P4 2GHz(Didn't say what system bus was) w/ 256MB DDR 266MHz but I think the extra $50 is worth the 500 more MHz, and 333MHz Memory buss.

Go for it, Y/N? know of something better for about the same price? Please lemme know.

Ailenware.com seems WAY to expensive. Who gives a CRAP about what the machine looks like...

Thanks

Kama
:rollin:
Old 10-24-2002, 06:28 AM   #2
Laao

That sounds like a great deal to me. I went to dell and was looking and i could not price on close to what you did. What model did you price?
Old 10-24-2002, 06:45 AM   #3
Kamakasi Battlemaster

Its a Demenstion 4550.

There is some extra crap they will get ya for if you don't catch it. One of them is the:

"Microsoft® Office XP Professional with Money 2002 and EducateU"

They charge you $349.00 for this, it is default selected on this. The other little one is a:

Belkin Surgemaster Gold Power [$39] Product details"

They get ya for $40.00 on this also.

Please note that this machine is w/o a moniter, only has a 48x cd-rom(No DVD, No Burner), and no speakers. A HD bigger then 30 gig is useless to me even with 10GIG of MP3's.

Kama
Old 10-24-2002, 06:52 AM   #4
Trech Da ShadowKnight

Default .

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Who gives a CRAP about what the machine looks like...[/quote]
GASP!!

Who cares?!! I do :P In fact im going to put my metalcast paintjob on this weekend
Old 10-24-2002, 07:45 AM   #5
Kamakasi Battlemaster

Default Re: .

Yeah Yeah, I sandblasted, and painted one of my first machines all up once. But Alienware.com machines are somewhat over-priced for what they offer. Im sure they are great machines for people who can afford it. Im just not willing to pay another $500.00 on a "cool" looking machine that is no faster.

Kama
Old 10-24-2002, 07:54 AM   #6
Daveena

sounds like a decent machine but you'll probably want to bump the ram to 512 Meg minimum.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:50 AM   #7
Bubu DwarfEater

Default not a bad price

I can get you the same machine for $849.00+ tax (with a geforce 4 ti4200) and I'll throw in a free 15 inch LCD flat panel Dell Branded Monitor, 40x cd-rw, 60gb hd.

Otherwise $729.00 if you don't want the LCD monitor. This system is brand new and never opened. This is not a referb and comes with a full warranty from dell...I have 5 of them sitting here for anyone else thats interested e-mail me at bubu@unitedindependent.com

Old 10-24-2002, 08:45 PM   #8
Azraelwrath

Default Re: not a bad price

If you want those fancy alienware cases, you can buy chieftech ones, which look exactly like them except that they don't have the logo. Try finding them under resellers like Newegg.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:17 AM   #9
Zel Greyweather

Default .

Interesting.

I was going to order another computer today with those same specs, except with an AMD Duron 1.3 Gigahertz for like $660 (not including tax).

Here's the killer question, though - Soundblaster Live, Soundblaster Audigy, or try making my current computer's on board sound card working and toss in my Soundblaster AWE 64 into the new one? Price is everything, keeping it low is what counts. *grin*

Old 10-25-2002, 05:06 AM   #10
KunoRepo

Don't get an audigy....after playing for bout an hour and a half my sound starts making howling and scretching noises. /shrug Maybe I have another problem. My compaq has a soundblaster live and I never have problems with that.

Rubenn
Old 10-25-2002, 06:49 AM   #11
Sinque

Nice price but let me put the spectre of doubt in your head....

The only thing that scares me about the PC manufacturers that I am leary of is that they *sometimes* use parts that are not standard, i.e. the use of ATU rather than ATX power.. Yes it's a rather minor thing until you go to upgrade, the plugs look the same but they are NOT compatable.

"Long after you forget the sweetness of a good price you will remember the bitterness of poor quality" - Gucci